Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

this is why i dont want middle class parents having a choice of state schools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting research.

As if we needed any evidence that the talk by the Tories and labour about 'choice' in the education system being the key to improvement is utter total bollocks............
  • Options
    I don't think there's any demand for 'choice' over which school parents send their kids to or which hospital you go to for treatment. Surely everybody just wants decent local hospitals and schools...
  • Options
    It's not exactly a surprise.

Children from poor families have less access to educational material in the home, and are therefore less desirable to "good" schools as they are not as educationally developed as children from families with a higher income.

Pverty breeds poverty, it's not a new thing, and choice has actually entrenched it as successful schools can, once and for all, keep the poor at the gate.
  • Options
    kermit is right.

poorer kids are educationally disadvantaged way before they even reach school age. it is no wonder that the better schools don't want them. the issue needs to be tackled earlier - not at school age.

middle class schools shouldnt have to suffer.. middle class children shouldnt have to be held back
  • Options
    This is what I try point out when people start banging on about education and race.

Problem with this type of survey is that it will be filed and ignored as NuLabor and the Tories are devoted to middle England as usual.
    :banghead: