Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jaw clicking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever since I was really little if I open my mouth really wide past a certain point my jaw kind of clicks on each side, then will click back again as I close my mouth. I was just wondering, does anyone else have anything like this? It doesn't hurt or anything but when I've showed a couple of people recently they were quite disgusted, whereas I thought it was something normal that everyone had!

Comments

• Options
    That's pretty weird, as I was disgusting everyone in my flat with this exact same party trick last night. I also discovered (obviously in a great period of boredom) that I can do the same thing with my ankle bone and my wrists. I really don't think it's anything to worry about, except it's probably not hugely advisable to go round clicking your bones when they shouldn't technically be doing that ;)
  • Options
    Mine does this sometimes especially if i'm chewing something. All bits of me click and stuff like my hip, the noises are grosse but i don't know how to stop it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Mine used to do that and sometimes it would lock which would be extremely painful until it went back into place. Don't really get it now though. Every so often.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Mine used to do that and sometimes it would lock which would be extremely painful until it went back into place. Don't really get it now though. Every so often.
    I only get that sometimes, thankfully not often. There's no "safe click" for me.
  • Options
    My jaw seems to have started to click ever since I had my op on my jaw.
  • Options
    Hmm, very strange! I was speaking to my little sister on MSN earlier and she said her jaw did the same thing, so I might ask if it is something that runs in my family when I get home from uni. The only reason I was worried about it was because obviously I don't want the joints to wear down and for it to cause me problems as I get older, but I guess that is something only time will tell.

Thanks for the replies :thumb:
  • Options
    Speak to your dentists about it when you next have a check up.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Its ok! mine does it too, I asked my dentist, apparently it is just the little cartilage disk on each side clicking in and out of place. Its not meant to, but it does. It means you don't chew evenly or something. Meh.

It can freak out people, I like it.

You can actually feel it if you do it a few times... Might be that, my jaw does that and thats what I was told! Either way, my jaw seems to lock up sometimes, it won't open past a certain bit and hurts. THAT is annoying.