Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Auto Close of old threads?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
I didn't want to post this in the Anything Goes forum because I thought it better suited to here.

Why isn't there an option for an automatic close of topics over 1 year or 2 years old? It's so annoying having stupid noobs bringing up old, old threads.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes please.
    Is actually not a bad idea... would stop people from whinging :)
    But I just think it's funny when a new guy would come on and post on a thread that is a couple years old, to offer advice.

I never went to any forums before this, so I was new once, but still never made that dumb mistake... hehe
    At least, I don't think I did. :no:
    Excelent idea!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    What a good idea. But wouldn't it be hard to implement?
    That's for Jim V to worry about!
    Yeah that does sound like a great idea and it would stop a lot of arguements and whinging from going on etc etc but is it actually possible ?
    Richeh wrote:
    Yeah that does sound like a great idea and it would stop a lot of arguements and whinging from going on etc etc but is it actually possible?
    As I said, that's for Jim V to worry about. Well, him and the technical team.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As I said, that's for Jim V to worry about. Well, him and the technical team.

We shall have to wait and see :) but it really would be a good idea
    Seeing as we're suggesting things, another forum I go to has temporary bans as punishment for minor infringments, and a separate sticky explaining all bans for a particular month and why, temporary or permanent.

There's also a separate forum for noobs, no flaming, like a playpen til they get the hang of things.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There's also a separate forum for noobs, no flaming, like a playpen til they get the hang of things.

That be the introduce yourself forum then.
    No, that's a forum for introductions.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, that's a forum for introductions.

nb. sarcasm ;)

It should not be hard because if it is not implemented in vbulletin then it should be a one-liner in SQL.
    Mist wrote:
    It should not be hard because if it is not implemented in vbulletin then it should be a one-liner in SQL.

Oh. Ok :confused:

I don't understand.
    Oh. Ok :confused:

I don't understand.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the whole computer techincal stuff either. Just smile, nod and say, 'ah right' :)
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with the whole computer techincal stuff either. Just smile, nod and say, 'ah right' :)
    Works for me every time :)

Yeah, however, I think he did that on purpose as he *knows* I don't understand! Tsk.

Smiling and nodding normally works for me though.
    Mist wrote:

yeh, shouldn't be too hard, but i would have thought it would be built into vbulletin (i know that phpBB has it built in, even Web Wiz has it built in!)
    If you want a sep. forum for new users you've completely missed the point of why the boards are here, but as to auto closing old threads, I'll look into that.

We would never have the resources for temporary bans
    If you want a sep. forum for new users you've completely missed the point of why the boards are here

thankyou
    Jim V wrote:
    If you want a sep. forum for new users you've completely missed the point of why the boards are here, but as to auto closing old threads, I'll look into that.

to reduce system resources, why not just once every week/two weeks run some form of coding to lock threads older than set periods

that way its not as if its happening every night, or when you reach a certain volume of older than a year threads
    Jim V wrote:

Dude, it's not like "you stay here forever", just somewhere where they can get the hang of things without getting flamed for being unbelievably stupid.

Why can you to temporary bans?
    No I'm deadly serious about this; if someone wants to come on these boards and make one post and get help that's the whole point. There will never be a newbie forum until the day these boards close. You want to stick people needing help in an internment camp until they act exactly the way you want them to? You do know this is a charity website?

Temporary bans are ineffective, arbitary, complicated and a huge drain. Before you know where you are you've got 100 people arguing about what rules get what punishment and how a wasn't fair to b.

You get warned, you get banned. It works.
    How many warning equate to a ban?
    doesn't work that way, there isn't a scorecard
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well said Jim!
    i like the idea of closing old threads, and did you ever consider it isnt the noobs lack of intelligence thats the problem, maybe it is your lack of patients?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    i like the idea of closing old threads, and did you ever consider it isnt the noobs lack of intelligence thats the problem, maybe it is your lack of patients?
    People here aren't hospitals.

Yes, the automatic closing is a good idea.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Automatic closing of old threads would probably encourage newbies to post more, if they posted in more recent threads then its more likely that they wouldnt be flamed, and as a result they would be encouraged to post more.
    Jim V wrote:
    doesn't work that way, there isn't a scorecard
    Why not?