Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

nervous breakdown?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what EXACTLY is a nervous breakdown? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    It's subjective - there's no clinical criteria (it's no longer a psychiatric definition.)
    Generally speaking it's complete mental/physical collapse - snapping under extreme pressure etc.
    You can't get diagnosed with one. Someone experiencing a major depression may be described as having had a nervous breakdown, but so could somebody who was suffering schizophrenia.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think I may be having one lately...
  • Options
    I think it is quite literally a mental breakdown. Things just reaching a climax where you cant cope at all, things dont seem real etc. I dont know whether its the kind of thing you know is happening at the time or whether its something you know you had in hindsight, but I expect every case is different. I know people who its happened to, including in my own family, although I havent really discussed it with them.
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/question653.htm
    http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=288

My view of it is you know that feeling when you think youre going to snap mentally (not violently) feeling on the edge, like somethings going to give. I imagine the nervous breakdown to be the point where you really do snap/give/break and youre just a mess.
  • Options
    Looking back I think I had one...

I'd just sit sobbing and screaming... just because I couldn't cope with getting up in the morning and having to go through another day...
    It was really scary... must have been scarier for my mum and sister though... I ended up curled up in a ball on the landing refusing to move and shaking... my mum nearly took me to hospital. :crazyeyes