Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

any other funding but student loans?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:crying:
hi there... ok heres the situation in a nutshell. my little bro is in final year of a levels and hoping to go to uni in either our home city or in a city about 45 mins away. he really wants to live in halls. my dad (him and my mum are separated) however, refuses to pay his rent the way he has mine ( i am studying 3 hours away from home and so he pays my rent). my mum cannot afford to pay for my bro to stay in halls. i find this totally unfair and am SO angry at my dad for being this way...and feel incredibly guilty for being able to live in halls / house when my bro may have to commute from home and miss out on the uni experiecne :crying:

i am wondering if there is any other funding available to students?? other than that of the student loan and tuition fee help. if aanyone can help please help!! its stressing me out and i cant imagine how my bro feels - its bad enough starting uni but being unsure about where hes going to live is even worse.

thanks xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    why cant he get a student loan? i think ou would find that most people have to pay their rent out of theres
  • Options
    why doesnt he work througout the summer, save his money as im sure that will cover some of the rent.a lot of students have to pay for their accommodation with their student loan.there are several different ways of payment, eg. monthly, quarterly etc. so he should be able to cope with it, most students have to. other than that there are some funds which he may be able to appy for when he is at uni, but he will need to look into that at the uni.
  • Options
    TheOne wrote:
    why doesnt he work througout the summer, save his money as im sure that will cover some of the rent.a lot of students have to pay for their accommodation with their student loan.there are several different ways of payment, eg. monthly, quarterly etc. so he should be able to cope with it, most students have to. other than that there are some funds which he may be able to appy for when he is at uni, but he will need to look into that at the uni.
    What he said. Also, he could get a job whilst at uni, part-time.
  • Options
    his student loan should help to cover the cost ... why can't he get his loan?
    all universities in the uk have something called a hardship fund (although i think it recently changed its name) which is given to students in financial dificulty - you pay it back just like you would a student loan... he would need to apply to his university for an application to be considered for one, and he would need to have taken out all the money that the students loan co. are willing to give him, if any and he would HAVE TO BE in real financial difficulty - although, i'm sure if you live in england, there is a minimum which the students loan co. are required to give you each year, which is not dependant on income or anything.

i think you will find as well that nealy every student pays for their rent by themselves... only the lucky ones get help from their parents with their rent.

having said that though, a part time job would be the best idea to help with his finance for university. most students cannot survive without one!!!

- hope that helps! :)

edited to say: if he is a first year student, he can apply for a bank overdraft as well - most major banks have one avaliable specifically as part of a HE student account.

there are hundreds of different ways to help fund his study / university needs - don't stress out, have a chat with the university he is going to, look into part time jobs, get a decent bank account - he should be sorted, and that's without any help from his / your parents.
  • Options
    if he pops into his local connexions, they have a tv program called funderfinder that, if he inputs his details, will give you details of any Trust funds that he can apply to for help.

I got full loan, half tuition fees, and no grant, im paying my accomodation fees whilst my mum is payin the tuition fees, and im living off my loan and a 1,250 overdraft. it is possible.
  • Options
    will your brother be having to pay his fees aswell?
  • Options
    why cant your dad pay half of your accom fees and half your brothers? its what my dad does