Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lump on Breast

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday when I was showering, I found a lump while checking my breasts. As I always do. I don't think it has hit me, how serious this could be.

Anyways, I'm going to the Doctors tomorrow to get it checked.
Was wondering if anyone can tell me how the doctor will know if it is serious or not. Will they know from just feeling it, or will I have to go the hospital to get tests done.

Ooo and to narrow it done a little; I don't smoke and only one of my aunts had cancer. Heart disease and diabetes is more common in my family than anything else.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The doctor will check your breast and if he thinks its necessary will refer you to the hospital for further tests/mammograms.
    I went to the doctor about a lump once too but he didnt refer me on. Most lumps arent cancer but they obviously need to check.
    Ah right, cheers.

Does it make any difference if it hurts or not? Cause mine doesn't seem to hurt, ya see.
    they take loads of things into consideration: how big it is, where it is, if it's growing quickly, if it hurts, what it feels like, if you can move it around... then decide if it's likely to be something harmless or dodgy. most of the time it's harmless. if they're a bit suspicious, you can have it removed, or have a biopsy, or a scan. even then it still might turn out to be harmless.
    Ah right. Is alot to take into consideration :-/
    I don't think my lump is that big, just big enough to know it wasn't there before. But then again I've never had a lump before so I don't know. Ir defintely appeared out of no were as I check my breasts regularly.

I hate getting tests done.
    Alright well thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    It's unlikely to be anything nasty, but well done for getting it checked out.

Breast lump info
    Yeah, I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Just the hassle of it all :-/
    Thanx for the info :)
    its probably nothing to worry about but you have done the right thing and made a docs appointment. good on you!
    Hey, best of luck for tomorrow. I'm sure its nothing but let us know anyway :)
    Well actually couldn't get an appointment till Thursday. But yeah... thank you guys. Will let yas know how things go.
    KinkyBoots wrote:
    Hey, best of luck for tomorrow. I'm sure its nothing but let us know anyway :)

Hey, only got on this thing today. So yeah to let yas know everything is grand and the doctor has reassured me that it's nothing... which I had a feeling but it still feels good to know for sure :)

So anyways, thanks guys.