Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HNC in Business Studies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Would it be worth it, job prospect-wise?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    In two words - Piss all.

I started on an HND but then converted it into a Ba, thats about the only way of making it worth the bother.
  • Options
    Im doing HND business admin which is simliar did my HNC last year and got accepted to do my degree at Abertay.
  • Options
    Goddamn you fucking English, making things so complicated :impissed:

So whit be a BA then? :p

This all came about today in college, my tutor sat me down and basically said "You can do whatever you want, but you're a lazy shite and you coast through the course without any effort. You can't do that anymore". She then proceeded to slap me. Not really.

Anyway, she thought doing an HNC course would give me a goal that I need to work for, which should hopefully give me some much needed motivation, seeing as I have no definate idea (well, any idea) of what I want to do. So yeah...any ideas on what would be good, Business related?
  • Options
    BA not your degree?
  • Options
    A Ba is a degree, as in a proper degree, with Honors. I did that and the HND in three years.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    A Ba is a degree, as in a proper degree, with Honors. I did that and the HND in three years.

Ahhh. So even taking my (hopefully, soon to be) Higher in Business Management a step further to an HNC, it wouldn't make much of a difference?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    did my HNC last year

How was it?
  • Options
    Ahhh. So even taking my (hopefully, soon to be) Higher in Business Management a step further to an HNC, it wouldn't make much of a difference?

What the hell is a Higher?

And whats the difference between a HNC and HND?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What the hell is a Higher?

And whats the difference between a HNC and HND?
    See what I mean? You bastarding English...

A Higher is the Scottish A Level. I think. Whatever you guys do after GCSEs.

And I dunno, I thought you had to have an HNC before you could do an HND.
  • Options
    I'm the one bloody helping you, I'll have no more of that 'Bloody English' stuff.

No, you dont have to do the HNC first, I went right into the HND and with only one D at A-Level, for I am the King of Blag!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm the one bloody helping you, I'll have no more of that 'Bloody English' stuff.

No, you dont have to do the HNC first, I went right into the HND and with only one D at A-Level, for I am the King of Blag!

It was 'Bastarding English', get it right :p

So really, for it to make a difference, I'm gonna have to take it past the HND level?
  • Options
    Bastard, bloody, I cant tell the difference at my age. The main thing is I'm trying to help you and you're being lippy, Northern Git!

Anyway, you can do something with the HND, though its definately worth while converting it into a Ba, like I did, that way you have a degree AND the HND all in the same time it would have taken to get the degree by itself.

I really wouldnt bother at all with the HNC if you can avoid it, an HND is worthless enough, let alone something even lower.
  • Options
    Yeah I see your point, it's just that I'm not really wanting to go through another 3 years of studying, or the whole Uni thing. I really can't be arsed. So as my tutor pointed out, I could do the year long HNC course, thus giving me another year to think about what I want to do and giving me the oppurtunity to have a part time job in the mean time.
  • Options
    Trust me, being a student is fantastic, its nothing like messing about at school like you are.

Avoid the world of work, its grim, and boring and rubbish.
  • Options
    I'll talk it over with my tutor and see what she says. Hopefully she'll be able to do something seeing as she has so much faith in me*

*Ha!
  • Options
    Shiney, there's no point in taking the BA if you're not going to do anything business orientated really IMO. I have no idea about HNDs and HNCs but I think it would be worth your while just to do the course you're on (or the one you fancy) and just moving on. Or you could take up a new course altogether?
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Shiney, there's no point in taking the BA if you're not going to do anything business orientated really IMO. I have no idea about HNDs and HNCs but I think it would be worth your while just to do the course you're on (or the one you fancy) and just moving on. Or you could take up a new course altogether?

Business orientated as in jobs or taking it further at Uni?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I agree with Jazza to an extent. I think that if you want to do business-y type jobs then you should, in the end, do your BA (in Scotland it would be an MA btw). The only reason I would do an HND is as more of an access course. If you don't have the grades to get to uni and you really want to do Business, then I would do the HND and go to uni the following year. If you can get to uni without the HND then that is what I would do.

A HND for something like Business isn't that great to be honest. I think HNDs are more beneficial for someone who is planning on doing something vocational, like hairdressing, beauty therapy etc.

I have a friends who has a HND in Business and she is still serving chips in the local chippy.
  • Options
    I have a friend who has a HND in Business and she is still serving chips in the local chippy.

Which is exactly why you should go on and get the degree, the HND isnt really worth a great deal, but if you can come out with a 2.1 or higher in virtually any degree it actually means something.
  • Options
    its BA in Scotland too.
  • Options
    An MA is a Masters, which is normally another year after your degree.