Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Was the war legal?

This is normally a question I now consider completely pointless but this report on Channel 4 news last night really angered me.

The basic jist of it is that the Lord Chancelor thought the war was dodgy law wise up until 5 days before. He then had a series of meetings with people from number 10, and hay presto his mind is changed.

He also, by some accounts did not actually produce a full legal briefing, just the statement which has been released.

So, its nice to know we have an independant judicary then isnt it, especially when we are talking about war.

English troops up in the Hague anyone?!

http://www.channel4.com/news/2005/02/week_4/23_attorney.html
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No the war wasn't legal. Many if not most experts doubted it from the outset, and the more information and evidence gets unearthed, the most it becomes apparent the war was illegal as hell.

Bush and Blair should be tried at The Hague like the murdering war criminals they are, next to their pal Saddam Hussein.

No wonder the US doesn't want to sign up to the International Wars Tribunal and even refuses to acknowledge it... they've committed more crimes in the last two years than the rest of the world put together.
  • Options
    I think it is like you say a fairly pointless question to ask now. I don't think that the govt or the people really care that much about international law to be honest.

The more important issue is the failure of democracy in this country.......
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No the war wasn't legal. Many if not most experts doubted it from the outset, and the more information and evidence gets unearthed, the most it becomes apparent the war was illegal.
    You can tell just how much of a panic the government is in simply by looking at the response of Lord Goldsmith, (an Attorney General whom I wouldn't trust to give legal clearance to a garden shed) where he says "I was not leaned on." How desperate is that.
  • Options
    Very. Luckily for the government the Tories won't be pushing them too much for it, ardent warmongers as they are themselves.

The Lib Dems should try to keep this on the agenda as much as possible though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Lib Dems should try to keep this on the agenda as much as possible though.

People dont care though, its a non-story.

Lord this and advise to that person, legal what not, its all too complicated for most people.