Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Call Centre

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got an interview for a new Call Centre that is coming to Belfast and was considering in going for it, if I do get the job as the money is great. 7.50 p/h and the hours aren't bad.

Only thing is, I heard such bad stories about working there, so I'm a little concerned.
Could anyone give me any ideas what it's like. What exactly you have to do, etc.

Cheers.

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you know what kind of work it is? customer service, sales?
    It says HC Recruitment Ltd.
    For sales and Customer Service.

Eeek. But money is soo good, I wouldn't mind it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Call centre work is OK overall, depends on the company and working condidtions however.
    Don't count on it for the long term. Call centres send people crazy. :yes:
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't count on it for the long term. Call centres send people crazy. :yes:
    Hang on, I've worked in a call centre for nearly 3 years now and I'm still sane.
    i think you have to be a tough person to last in a call centre environment. i couldn't hack it.

i was a customer service advisor for a bank, and basically my job involved taking abuse from people (and idiot branch staff) because idiot branch staff had cocked up their account.

sales is ok if it's inbound, but cold calling will make your soul hurt really quickly.
    kaffrin wrote:
    i think you have to be a tough person to last in a call centre environment. i couldn't hack it.

i was a customer service advisor for a bank, and basically my job involved taking abuse from people (and idiot branch staff) because idiot branch staff had cocked up their account.

sales is ok if it's inbound, but cold calling will make your soul hurt really quickly.
    You need to be able to switch off the morons too.
    JsT wrote:
    You need to be able to switch off the morons too.

oh yeah. big stylee. and not have a quick temper either. it's pretty hard, when someone's calling you every name under the sun for something that you definitely didn't do, and they probably did themselves, to blow your top, and call them the rudest thing you can think of.

the kind of person that doesn't get riled easily generally does well in a call centre.
    If I use it I cut them off. Fun it is.
    Eeek! I'm a little worried now :-/

I don't really have a temper. I can be really nice, even if the customer decides to be an awkward asshole. I mean, I work in a nightclub with drunken students. Need I say more.

But at the same time, I can still crack up :(
    Me starting to realise why they are offering good pay :(
    It's only going ot be part-time but still...
    there's only one way to find out, really.

you never know. some people really take to it.
    I worked in a call centre, and I loved it. BUT - it was inbound calls for a national Bank. I think I'd hate inbound. But go for it - you can always jack it in if it's shit!
    I did outbound call centre work once, it was quite possibly the worst way to make money I've ever tried.

The hourly wage was good, something like £6 quite a few years ago but those hours did NOT seem worth £6.

If its outgoing cold calling then you may want more than £7.50 an hour.
    Well it is good money and for a part-time job I'm defintely willing to at least give it a shot. Just think maybe I'll keep me other job as well for a couple weeks if I do get this call centre job, just incase I find I'm not happy there.

Can I ask why yas found it soo bad?! Is it just cause of the ignorant calls, or what?
    JsT wrote:
    Hang on, I've worked in a call centre for nearly 3 years now and I'm still sane.
    They're notorious for it. You obviously have the personality to cope with it.

CB2K, give it a go. You may thrive or you may go mad, so you might be wise to hang on to your old job until you decide which has happened. ;)
    At least with a call centre you can put the phone down and it's all gone! I have to deal with people face to face, and in the nature of job I do, they are not happy bunnies most of the time!
    At least with a call centre you can put the phone down and it's all gone! I have to deal with people face to face, and in the nature of job I do, they are not happy bunnies most of the time!
    You shouldn't be an evil scum-sucking tax person then, should ya;)
    :crying:

Very true. The customers have got a lot more scary since the introduction of tax credits though.
    :crying:

Very true. The customers have got a lot more scary since the introduction of tax credits though.
    Not really a suprise, though, seeing as how just about everybody ahs been screwed with them.

I actually feel really sorry for the counter guys at the tax and job offices, because it's not their fault. The people who are to blame are in some swanky office somewhere, and won't ever talk to people, which is a shame. I'd like to give a few choice words to the rabid flap that kept us waiting fourteen weeks for our JSA back in the summer.
    I wouldn't be bothered about people screaming at me down the phone. But then I've worked in a shop for over 4 years part-time, and the number of screaming lunatics I've seen is enough to make anyone jaded.
    Actually if anyone works in a big Call Centre in Central London do drop me a PM, I have a few questions specific to London Call Centres
    I didnt really even get irrate people, I just hated the feeling of bothering people, I felt I was being rude for a living and that really got to me.

The people I phoned never wanted to speak to me, I found it demoralising and depressing.
    I work in a call centre environment, I worked in an inbound financial call centre for 4 years before moving to my current company where i worked 3 and half years dealing with inbound customer enquiries and I have been in my current role in the complaints department for just over a year. Im fine, I enjoy my job and enjoyed working in customer services. It all depends on the call centre policies, management and staff.
    I worked in a call centre, but it was cold calling. Absolutely hated it. You need to have a strong resistance to moody/bitchy/rude customers.

Im quite a sensitive person, so it didn't really fit me. My mate worked for Lombard Direct and she loved it, they paid really good money. So good, she was able to go on holiday while she was at uni.

To be honest, I think it depends on the kind of person you are, and if you will be doing cold calling or taking inbound calls.

Cold calling. Even the name sounds depressing.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I didnt really even get irrate people, I just hated the feeling of bothering people, I felt I was being rude for a living and that really got to me.

The people I phoned never wanted to speak to me, I found it demoralising and depressing.

:yes: I went home feeling like shit.