Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice on the subjects i am going to do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
For my AS/A Levels I have chosen to do law, history, maths and english literature. i wish to pursue a career as a non-commercial solicitor after i atain a law degree.

What would be your advice on the subjects i am choosing, how they connect with one another and any other information related?

Thank you very much for your help, i am highly grateful.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like the way forward. Remember you can do a history/english/politics type degree and law conversion afterwards if you like.
  • Options
  • Options
    'I'd drop the law for a start. A lot of law degree courses actually prefer you to have no previous legal knowlege.'

Could you please tell me why that is?
  • Options
    The law studied for A Level is that miniscule that a wrong perception tends to get given adn people go into a law degree and then have to be taught that most they think they know is wrong.

My bro did a law degree and siad it was the most boring thing he ever di. he wishes he'd done maths and then done 2 years at law school rather than 1 to qualify. Mainly he feels like this because a law degree is constant reading and remembering, rather than actual practice and the hands on stuff. If you're good at just basically learning dates and names of cases to repeat them in an exam do a law degree, otherwise do 2 years at law college because you will enjoy it more.

Really to do law just do your favourite subjects and you'll be fine to get into law.
  • Options
    Rahul wrote:
    'I'd drop the law for a start. A lot of law degree courses actually prefer you to have no previous legal knowlege.'

Could you please tell me why that is?
    A senior university lecturer told me that it's because, to begin with, students were taught very extensive and complicated law by people that were somewhat underqualified. This meant that when they reached university, all that they'd learnt had to be retaught.

However now Law A level is very different. It's much broader and works to more of an advantage to the student. But some of the top universities still work on the old fashioned principle that having it is detrimental.

I've also been told by fellow students that a university lecturer claimed that A level Law students are lazy in their first year, therefore they are less likely to accept them.

Despite these misinformed views, I'd advise you to take Law. I've taken it, and I'm so glad that I did as it turned out to be something that I'm really good at. And trust me, you'll still have no problems getting into universities. I've been made 6 university offers out of 6, including Kent university who've made me an extra low offer as they love Law A level.

I also feel it's an advantage going into a Law degree with some idea what you're in for. For example, a lot of people think of law as only being criminal, or that law is only passed by Parliament when most of what you'll learn is case law.

You're also on the right track with History and English Lit. :yes:
  • Options
    I'm a law grad from Durham, and I can categorically assure you that A'Level law is not something that is necessary, or even desirable, to get into the best universities.

Law departments are looking for skills, the skill to analayse evidence and draw conclusions, to be precise. The best subject for this is history, and law departments see history as a vitally important subject to take in order to succed at LLB law.

Even more pertinently, I feel, even law degrees are a bit crap for becoming a lawyer: a history degree, and then the conversion course, is what the big law firms look for, and a history grad will stand in better stead than a law grad, assuming equal ability.

Instead of history, I would personally advise you to take English Language. There are the same analytical skills, it looks respectable, and it is quite easy.
  • Options
    The law students may correct me, but I know a few undergrads here found politics A Level quite helpful.
  • Options
    law a level may help you but at the end of the day most universities only look at the grades and not the subjects. Friend of mine took drama, music and psychology and got into a physics degree
  • Options
    crazy_guy wrote:
    law a level may help you but at the end of the day most universities only look at the grades and not the subjects. Friend of mine took drama, music and psychology and got into a physics degree

how the hell?

you need to have a basis in a level maths and physics, otherwise anything else will be fine, history tends to help generally as it encourages good discussion skills from sources and reliablility etc
  • Options
    Crazy Guy what university did your friend go to
  • Options
    crazy_guy wrote:
    Bollocks, I'm afraid.

I got an offer from Durham that took into account the fact that I was doing the three hardest A'Levels; if I'd been doing easier subjects I'd have been given a much higher offer.

It depends on the uni; Wembley Poly (formerly World of Carpet) won't care, good unis will.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Wembley Poly (formerly World of Carpet)
    :lol: