Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working in a bookshop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone work in a bookshop? I would really love to do this part time whilest I am at college (I don't know why). I was wondering how I would go about applying for jobs in bookshop and what kind of things do you think that they would be looking for in a future employee?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why?
    i was offered a job in borders (probably not the kind of bookshop you mean, but anyway). and they were after people with retail experience, and a sound knowledge of (and interest in) books and literature. in the end i didn't take it cause of the horrific pay though.
    ok
    Oooh, don't read this forum much anymore so missed this. Yeah I do lots of bookish work and have been known to sell books too. Personally, as far as the bookshop goes, I was randomly browsing and saw an advert for xmas temps (this was in August I think, at a large Waterstones). I filled out the application form saying all the usual things like I love books, I'm a published writer, I can count and even manage to bite my tongue at rude, stupid, shouting customers, and landed an interview. Got offered a job starting in October as a 3 month temp, and then after that was kept on.

I thought they'd ask me lots of bookish questions at interview but they were more interested in my pc skills and customer service ability, and logic for the people that come in and ask for a book - but they don't know the title, or the author or what it is about but it may contain the word 'the' somewhere inside...

I thought it was crazy interviewing so far in advance for a job that was in essence a shop job - but we got asked 10 plus times a day if there were any jobs going so they could pick and choose.

Best times for big chains would be beginning or end of summer. Also if you get a job at home it's easier to transfer to your uni branch.

Ideally I'd always wanted to work in/ own a 'black books' esque shop where i could read, drink wine and tell customers to piss off. The reality of most bookshops is that you have lots of shelf stacking/ merchandising and customer enquiries to deal with, but I was lucky and got to work upstairs with the art, fashion and travel books quite a lot where I could sit and read. Oh and the huge discount was really nice :)

Pm me if anything else you want to know - I work on a book prize now but it's very top secret ;)