Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My rights!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi!

Had a bit of trouble today with my university. I have received a letter from the informing me that I have a secure deferered place for uni this year. However, I haven't received any further communication from them for a while so I went there in person today and ask them if everything was still ok. Basically they said I wasn't on the system and I don't have a place. However I still have this written confirmation that a place has been offered to me. Does anyone know what my rights are in regards to getting this place? Is written confirmation enough to get m my place?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I presume you've told them you have this confirmation letter?

ETA: perhaps it's 'cause you've deferred?
  • Options
    Youve probably got a place and they just fuked up and looked at the wrong list. Even if your not on the system as such its not hard for them just to add you.

Bopz
  • Options
    Hi
    You do actually have a binding contract with the university in question. Moran v University College Salford is the case which has similiar circumstances to yours where Salford Uni gave a confirmation to a student but due to over booking they said he couldnt have his place. Went to court - breach of contract and he sued successfully, claimed damages (cash) though they did not force the uni to accept him.
    But they should accept you coz no-one likes to be sued
  • Options
    You can always rely on a Law student to come up with a case name that "proves" everything.

You don't say which country you are in, unfortunately. In the UK, UCAS is the organisation that deals with it all, so if UCAS say you've got a place then you've got a place.