Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

still smoking...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
unfortunatly after many attempts at trying to stop smoking dope...i have failed. I stopped smoking the very few cigerettes that i did, yet i love my weed too much. ok, not as much as the person that i said i would stop for, yet it's so difficult because my friends all smoke, as do most of the other people around me.

what can i do to get around this one?

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes if i can't be arsed i'll take a few puffs, but won't take the smoke back into my lungs. You're in the group kinda thing but you don't get stoned ;s

You really need to re evaluate the reasons you want to take it and feel you can't stop.
  • Options
    i do wanna get stoned i love it, it's just that my guy hates smoke and smoking so i said to him i'd stop....and i haven't :(
  • Options
    If the problem is just smoking not being stoned, why don't you buy hash and eat it? I gave up smoking just after new years, 5 weeks ago. I feel really good, sex is much better and my skin feels nice and soft, but then I did used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day and then some..
    I always hated those "hash cookies" that tourists eat in Amsterdam, butI used to cook fish with weed (not skunk) and it was really nice, and I don't mind hash fudge.
  • Options
    matstar wrote:
    If the problem is just smoking not being stoned, why don't you buy hash and eat it? I gave up smoking just after new years, 5 weeks ago. I feel really good, sex is much better and my skin feels nice and soft, but then I did used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day and then some..
    I always hated those "hash cookies" that tourists eat in Amsterdam, butI used to cook fish with weed (not skunk) and it was really nice, and I don't mind hash fudge.

Although it's not the same high as you get when smoking.... it's the pleasure of smoking a joint or whatever that is truly hard to break.
    In all honesty, if you are enjoying smoking weed, and you smoke with your friends, you are not going to stop...
  • Options
    i do wanna get stoned i love it, it's just that my guy hates smoke and smoking so i said to him i'd stop....and i haven't :(

Tell him to stop drinking alcohol, and you'll stop smoking weed :yes: .

Sounds fair.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Although it's not the same high as you get when smoking.... it's the pleasure of smoking a joint or whatever that is truly hard to break.
    In all honesty, if you are enjoying smoking weed, and you smoke with your friends, you are not going to stop...

If you enjoy smoking, I don't see much of a problem to be honest...

Weed sort of self-regulates its use anyway...if you smoke too much for too long and your life veers off track, the paranoia and anxiety of that realisation will start fucking up the cannabis trips...so you've got no option but to quit and get yourself sorted out.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you enjoy smoking, I don't see much of a problem to be honest...

Weed sort of self-regulates its use anyway...if you smoke too much for too long and your life veers off track, the paranoia and anxiety of that realisation will start fucking up the cannabis trips...so you've got no option but to quit and get yourself sorted out.

yea i agree with this, it's the reason why i cut down alot but still haven't stopped, i'm not sure if you have a problem as such luby, unless you're smoking the guts of a half o a day or something, i think you'll be alright.
  • Options
    i have maybe 3 joints in a weekend, don't smoke in the week. i've been known to smoke 30 in a night with really quite desent stuff.....i'm so glad i was buying it, the virtues of friends who can't roll. :D

I don't want to stop really, but being a singer i know that smoking isn't going to be a good idea. he doesn't mind me eating it, it's jsut the smoking part he doesn't like.
  • Options
    i have maybe 3 joints in a weekend, don't smoke in the week. i've been known to smoke 30 in a night with really quite desent stuff.....i'm so glad i was buying it, the virtues of friends who can't roll. :D

I don't want to stop really, but being a singer i know that smoking isn't going to be a good idea. he doesn't mind me eating it, it's jsut the smoking part he doesn't like.

there's nothing wrong with that tbh, 3 joints a week is nothing compared to what some smoke, if you like the buzz and you can handle the buzz well then there should be no reason to stop imo.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Oh, and it made me schizophrenic.
    yeah right!
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Oh, and it made me schizophrenic.

I agree weed can do this. Schizophrenia is not only having an alter ego where you suddenly become Mr. Hyde after a few spliffs. It may take the form of sudden, extreem mood swings and depression.

Ive been through a period of smoking about £10 of north london skunk a night. After a while the paranoia started; hearing friends talking about me when they were actully talking about another friend, thinking my weed was laced with crack to make me smoke more and more of it, thinking my parents had sent me to university and payed for friends to look after and help me (yes at one point I had become so detached from reality that I actully believed this). Then the major mood swings started and I started huge arguments with friends over tiny, non-important things.

I am now trying to stop smoking weed aswell and am going to the psychiatrest on friday as my doctor thinks i may now be bi-polar.
  • Options
    twisted trinity, your not smoking that much, no need to worry.
  • Options
    Herbal wrote:
    I agree weed can do this. Schizophrenia is not only having an alter ego where you suddenly become Mr. Hyde after a few spliffs. It may take the form of sudden, extreem mood swings and depression.

Ive been through a period of smoking about £10 of north london skunk a night. After a while the paranoia started; hearing friends talking about me when they were actully talking about another friend, thinking my weed was laced with crack to make me smoke more and more of it, thinking my parents had sent me to university and payed for friends to look after and help me (yes at one point I had become so detached from reality that I actully believed this). Then the major mood swings started and I started huge arguments with friends over tiny, non-important things.

I am now trying to stop smoking weed aswell and am going to the psychiatrest on friday as my doctor thinks i may now be bi-polar.
    all the science and history in the world says ...cannabis don't make you schizo!
    yes it even gets me a bit paranoid now and again ...thats part of the buzz ...
    it doesnt make me fucking shizo ...simply cos that aint in my make up.
    if it's there it may well bring it on.
    if it aint ...it going to create it ...you people need to avoid mind altering substances full stop.
  • Options
    all the science and history in the world says ...cannabis don't make you schizo!
    yes it even gets me a bit paranoid now and again ...thats part of the buzz ...
    it doesnt make me fucking shizo ...simply cos that aint in my make up.
    if it's there it may well bring it on.
    if it aint ...it going to create it ...you people need to avoid mind altering substances full stop.

I agree with rolly, symptoms may occur because of underlying mental issues etc not brought on solely due to the drug.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Cannabis doesn't make you schizophrenic, you are right - but if you are predisposed genetically to mental health problems these could be triggered by smoking. However, new research suggests that if you are young and you smoke a lot of cannabis, you could be altering your brain chemistry in such a way that you could be much more prone to mental illness. These are just preliminary findings, but a lot more research is being done along these lines.

There is an old thread about it if anyone is interested, cannabis linked to mental illness.
  • Options
    Herbal wrote:

If you would like to find out a bit more about schizophrenia the page on the Sane website is really informative. It includes the following statement -
    Schizophrenia is NOT a ‘split personality’, nor a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ condition in which a person suddenly becomes a ruthless killer as in Hollywood thrillers
  • Options
    Cannabis is a hallucinogen, and as that if you have a pre-existing mental health problem it will probably make it worse.

It is likely not to make a completely sane person insane, but whats a completely sane person?

Luby; Cutting down because of someone else is never going to work, you either give up because you want to or you dont. 3 spliffs a week isnt going to affect your voice that badly.
  • Options
    In answer to your question Trinity, I have recommended the Know Cannabis website before, it has a self help programme to give you some strategies on how to stop smoking - it may be worth a look. Do keep in mind that common advice from substance misuse workers is (as Bong said) that you won't stop uynless you really want to. Don't stop for someone else - stop because you want to.

As for those who have replied - the amount Trinity smokes may not seem a lot to you, but she was asking for advice on how to stop, not on whether she should stop.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    In answer to your question Trinity, I have recommended the

Pardon?
  • Options
    Ha. Don't be so impatient. (My finger slipped.)
  • Options
    Ive been off weed for a few weeks now and what has helped me is using herbal smoking mixture. You know the stuff you get about an ounce for £4 and it has names like "Jamacian Ganja" and "Devils Weed".

It does not really work as a relaxing smoking mixture but it does give you that "Herbal" taste and enjoyment of smoking.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Whatcha mean? It did. Temporary delusions of grandeur. I ended up thinking I was Jesus ffs!
    There's nothing special there, you will often find Jesus in many mental homes handing out tea waiting to pick up his meds.
    you'd make a cracking jesus J ...
  • Options
    Try making a strong hash cake, eat it all while smoking a few joints... You'll feel stoned for a little while and then you whitey really bad! The next day you'll feel like your on a come down and not want to smoke for at least 4 days!

I stumbled upon this find (not intentionally). Its a pretty nasty way of making you feel sick every time you have a joint, but i kinda works...
  • Options
    Decode wrote:
    and not want to smoke for at least 4 days!

Speak for yourself! :yes: