Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what to wear to a uni interview??!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ive got an interview for interior architecture and design tomorrow at Nottingham Trent and suddenly thought I have no idea what I should wear?! be smart, safe and boring with a black suit, shirt and jumper or jeans with cord jacket... really hadnt thought about this!

Thank You!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    steely wrote:
    Ive got an interview for interior architecture and design tomorrow at Nottingham Trent and suddenly thought I have no idea what I should wear?! be smart, safe and boring with a black suit, shirt and jumper or jeans with cord jacket... really hadnt thought about this!

Thank You!!

I had a uni interview recently and I wore a smart suit and shirt, black shoes, that sort of thing. Most people there were wearing smart clothes. I think it is good to make a good impression. Where what you would wear to a proper* job interview.

* By proper I don't mean a job at Tesco.
  • Options
    Try to make a good impression by getting dressed up for the occassion.
    It's not much different than a job interview - look smart and presentable.
    Don't wear jeans!!! :no:
    A suit would be a good idea. :yes:
  • Options
    They dont really care that much what you wear, id say look smart but not tie smart.
    Its really strange that all the lectures dress up for the interviews and all the students dress up smart, but when you get to uni everyone is in jeans and jumpers. :lol:

Bopz
  • Options
    for a design course, i wouldn't wear a suit.

i'd wear something stylish and modern and quite funky. it's more important that you convey your personality and creativeness. they probably don't want 'safe' people.

suits are great for courses like business, and especially teaching, where you have to put that kind of impression across. but a bit too formal for most courses, i would think.

i went to my interviews in a hoody and jeans :o
  • Options
    maybe something along the black blazer/jeans(no holes!) black shoes and white tshirt? Kind of trendy-casual. Oxford cadidates wore suits when they went to their interviews, but everyone else went in combats n hoodies :confused:
  • Options
    how about to an interview for a Sound Technology course at LIPA (where i sooooooooooo wana go!). I dont think really smart is overly appropriate based on the feel of the place cos its really relaxed as all the courses are performance related, but i really want to make a great impression+i generally live in huge flares+v chunky shoes.
  • Options
    I hate the term but 'smart casual' is probably the best option for most. That what my tutor told me to wear and I'm glad I did as two people interviewed me, one in jeans, one in cords.

If your not used to wearing suits the danger is you may not come across as confident or natural wearing one in an interview situation. The people who were wearing suits when I was there ended up looking like the accused. :yes:
  • Options
    I've heard differnt oppinions on this. generally people do go dressed smart. But sometimes it isn't a good thing. i know people who've been offered places because they went as themselves, didn't try to be something they weren't. But personally I'd always go smart it can't hurt.
  • Options
    i went to all mine in smart casual, more casual than anything, as long as u aint all scruffy they wont mind

i got into all mine and that included imperial college so says it all i think, some depts are move fussy than others *cough cough arts*
  • Options
    It's important to show them that you are making an effort, so smart is the way to go. Like the others have said, tho, don't overdo it or you'll look and feel kind of silly. I've passed job interviews wearing a smart pair of jeans before now, so it really depends on how presentable you are, rather than whether you're wearing a specific type of clothing. Don't forget that whatever you are wearing is unimportant if they can see that you are confident, enthusiastic and intelligent. It's 90% and only 10% presentation.
  • Options
    what to wear when you get the university place!!!

Not only should you consider what to wear for the interview, you must also consider what to wer for the celebration and for your time at university.

i know alot of students who shop online to get the best prices, especially for designer clothing.

try http://www.designer-clothing.biz

Regards

Jip Travolta
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    for a design course, i wouldn't wear a suit.

i'd wear something stylish and modern and quite funky. it's more important that you convey your personality and creativeness. they probably don't want 'safe' people.
    Exactly! The head lecturer at my design course in college said the exact same thing.
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    Exactly! The head lecturer at my design course in college said the exact same thing.

and i went for a science course and they did care bout what i looked like, as long as i eager and some intuition and logic and a understanding of a level stufff, by asking me about things id never seen before and expecting me to just provide a logical answer
  • Options
    I went to my Law interview in a shirt, suit jacket, pin stripe trousers etc and I was quite over dressed in comparison to the other people there.

Smart casual is probably the most appropriate.
  • Options
    i think aslong as you look like you've made an effort that you'll be ok. there's no point in wearing a fancy suit if you're not going to feel comfortable and if it's not at all like you.
  • Options
    man%5Feating%5Fshark%5F2434%2Ejpg

this :D
  • Options
    is it machine washable? :p
  • Options
    yeah, ive even tried it on :D :yes:
  • Options
    gdgd, i must admire how flattering it is for the figure!
  • Options
    im renting it out for when they do halls inspections...

the bastards have decided that they are going to enter your room with no permission...so i might just have to be lurking in the cupboard with that suit when they do! :D
  • Options
    dont forget your camera!