Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

niagara falls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
oh my god! One of my dreams is about to come true-well in september! I am going to niagara falls and am amazingly excited already! I got over the hurdle of askin my best mate who likes hot holidays! I now have to find a place, a plane and a plane to new york-our compromise!

I truley am excited! Has anyone here ben? if so any tips, places to stay, things to do etc would be greatly appreciated!! :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have been. I was on the Canadian side. We stayed in Toronto which is only an hour train journey away. I would highly recommend doing that as you will get the chance to spend a day or two at Niagara Falls and then get to see all the fab things in Toronto, like the CN Tower and stuff.

We were there in October and it was heaving. Soooo busy.

One must is to go on the Maid of the Mist. It is a boat trip that takes you round both the American and Canadian Falls and under them too.

Fantastic stuff. *is jealous* Would love to go back.

EDITED TO ADD: becareful crossing the border. They wouldn't let us through. You wouldn't want to get caught one way or the other.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah niagra is amazing, the town is tacky as hell tho, its just like blackpool, the main street full of little ghost trains and stuff. the actual falls were fantasic. if you have a way of travelling, i suggest toronto, possibly the greatest city ive ever been to, preffered it to NewYork to be honest, did a road trip thing from detroit across through canada and down to new york.

also if you get chance, go to niagra on the lake, absolutly beautiful town.
    The joys of Toronto, thats not a phrase you hear that often, the people there are stupidly nice but the town itself is hugely dull.

Yes the CN tower is quite interesting, make sure to go on the glass floor if you can.

As for Niagra, I thought the boat ride into it was rather good, as is going in the tunnels beneeth it. Make sure you do both of those.

Others are right though the town is rubbish.
    lol well I do like the tackiness of blackpool luckily! hehe!

plans changed and we decided to do toronto 3 days and niagara 3 days and skip new york to keep the cost down. I am so excited!! I want to do the jet boat down the river-thinkin of myself as meryl streep in the river wild no doubt!

we are staying at the days hotel in toronto and the skyline in niagara. both are budget from a quick google but hey a bed is all that is needed and as someone who can rough it in a tent a bed is fab! hehe! The hotel in niagara even has dry cleaning which is cool!

*is excited*
    we stayed at a days in toronto, if its the same one its great! very nice and clean and cheap. even has a gym and a pool. cant complain for the price! they got a nice bar downstairs and subway sandwiches right across the road for when you come home after a nights heavy drinking. nightlife in toronto was really great i thought.

altho it was really busy as the ice hockey playoffs were on at the time so loads of fans around.
    I was about 30 meters from a fatal shooting last time I was in Toronto, its normally safe though.
    lol bongbudda see living in wolves I'm used to that so it'll be like home-hey def if I get to go to subway like koe mentioned! hehe!

*is still very excited about going*
    The club I went to in Toronto was good, though its over 19's because of the drinking age there.

Plus they are slightly pansy clubbers.
    bongbudda wrote:
    The joys of Toronto, thats not a phrase you hear that often, the people there are stupidly nice but the town itself is hugely dull.

Yes the CN tower is quite interesting, make sure to go on the glass floor if you can.

As for Niagra, I thought the boat ride into it was rather good, as is going in the tunnels beneeth it. Make sure you do both of those.

Others are right though the town is rubbish.

TO thinks it is the centre of the universe......but we in BC know exactly what position it actually occupies.....in the human body, you would find TO located between your butt cheeks, sort of spincter shaped....

Now Vancouver, that is a place to live and visit.....this time of the year you can go skiing in the morning, golfing in the afternoon and sailing during the evening......nothing better
    I havent gotten over to BC yet, though I've only heard good things about it.

Toronto is alright, its just very flat, very grey and very dull.
    Jowolvo wrote:
    Has anyone here ben? if so any tips, places to stay, things to do etc would be greatly appreciated!! :thumb:
    Yes. To the Canada side a couple of times. Maid in the Mist is good (in the day) and at some times of year the falls are flood lit at night in pretty colours- also very lovely. Have fun :D
    I absolutely adore Canada, and the falls are spectacular. One thing I did particularly enjoy was a helicopter ride over it. Some beautiful aerial photography now graces my hallway. I wonder if Lord Snowdon could have done any better.

Absolutely musts are Maid of the Mist (do they still have those hideous blue plastic macs they give out?) and the walk behind the falls (ditto with yellow?)

I found the little nearby village of Niagara-on-the-lake to be rather picturesque and pleasant.... apart from locking the keys inside the car (again).

Still LOVE the west coast though, you jus can't beat Vancouver.
    Over 19s-is that the drinking age then-not a problem I'm 23 anyway!
    Passports is my next question-got mine a while back, old style type and my moms panicking saying i need a visa. now I thought this was only for the USA not canada and my mate sas we just need readable passports-readable? huh?

*still funkily excited and about to pay some of it off*
    Jowolvo wrote:
    Over 19s-is that the drinking age then-not a problem I'm 23 anyway!
    Passports is my next question-got mine a while back, old style type and my moms panicking saying i need a visa. now I thought this was only for the USA not canada and my mate sas we just need readable passports-readable? huh?

*still funkily excited and about to pay some of it off*

I went in 1999 and never needed a visa. You never needed a visa for Canada so I think your old style-y one would be ok (as long as it is still in date).

Have a look on the foreign office website though, they should clarify it for you.
    I want to go! :grump:
    As people have said, Maid of the mist is a must. As is the cable car ride over the whirlpool further down the river. I remember being on that when I was 7 and being totally shit scared. Probably wouldn't have the same effect now.
    *goes to find foreign office site*

hehe addicted-hmm I will no doubt be peeing my pants then as I am a wuss!! But I'll bloody well do it!!
    I've done that cable car, its really good.
    i went to canada twice, toronto one of the times. it was rly good i loved it. the falls was fantastic, and the cn tower was kool, like some of the others sed try and get on the glass floor, a bit scary, but rly kool!!
    have a gud time
    glass floors are always fun to walk over, no matter how high you are

i always try jumping to see if it scares any of the other people in the room
    cg303 wrote:
    i went to canada twice, toronto one of the times. it was rly good i loved it. the falls was fantastic, and the cn tower was kool, like some of the others sed try and get on the glass floor, a bit scary, but rly kool!!
    have a gud time

The CN Tower is amazing. Apparently, on a really clear day you can see right over to Niagara! The glass floor is so funky. And don't worry, the glass won't break. Apparently 2 baby elephants tested the glass. The ride up to the glass floor made my ears pop though. Hehe. And next door is the Skydome which I enjoyed too.

The Toronto skyline is wonderful.
    The CN Tower is amazing. Apparently, on a really clear day you can see right over to Niagara! The glass floor is so funky. And don't worry, the glass won't break. Apparently 2 baby elephants tested the glass. The ride up to the glass floor made my ears pop though. Hehe. And next door is the Skydome which I enjoyed too.

The Toronto skyline is wonderful.

I agree with the first bit, but Toronto isnt the best looking city about, its really really flat and quite grey, and the buildings are quite bland. The people are really nice though and its very clean.
    Apparently 2 baby elephants tested the glass.

What an unnecessary way of testing the glass. Doesn't bear thinking about what would happen if the glass wasn't actually strong enough.
    I think its more a saying rather than an action, that the glass could stand the weight of two elephants rather than them actually having done it.
    All this Canada talk is getting me sooo excited. I'm going to Canada for 2 months from July to Septemeber. Never been before, travelling around a bit. Flying into Toronto then flying back from Vancouver so should cover most of it. Can't wait :hyper: