Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First aid courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My lovely work are sending me to re-do it this week so i can actually be a first aider at work but im really not looking forward to it as the injurys we always have to deal with are kids,i dont mind doing the course ect but to any of you that have done it are there ways to get over worrying more about having to help when it comes to kids?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    most of treating kids is minor and common sense tbh
    Why dont you find out about an infant/child first aid course. they def exist because ive done one, especially if your working with kids a lot. Find out the info and give it to your line manager at work, worth a try!
    most of treating kids is minor and common sense tbh
    Get fucked.

What i meant was we get loads of kids who have accidents and end up cutting their head open now i dont mind if an adult cuts their head open i can cope with that i just cant help thinking that if i do something wrong its a little kid you know.
    have been a qualified first aider for five years.
    first aid is just that, it's not about major treatment, if a child seriously hurts themselves there is nowt you can really do except call an ambulance.

i didnt mean to offend you i simply meant that the things they prepare you for on a course are very rare and you will mostly in a first aid capacity be treating things like bumps and scrapes. you would treat a kid with a cut head pretty much the same as an adult - stem the blood and get them to casualty.how to do it correctly will be covered in the course. when dealing with kids though you have to be good at something you probably are already if you work with kids- calming them down.
    Look at it another way- once you've done the course you'll be more prepared to deal with things than most people- and you'll have all the relevant information to do so. So although its tought; kids are no more likely to get hurt after you've done the course than before- but afterwards you'll be able to apply some learnt knowledge to the situation.
    Sometimes kids are easier than adults- they are less aware of whats going on and if you majically 'press there' to stop it hurting it often helps! With adults there is no fooling or false comforting.