Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Online Doc's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are there any sites which allow you to email a medically qualified person for help with medical problems? Failing that, maybe a discussion forum devoted completely to volunteer GP's etc who help out?

Anything along those lines.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Any reason why you would want this rather than a face-2-face with a GP?
  • Options
    Not one in particular. I sometimes get the feeling that my GP is doing what's in the best interest of the NHS rather than for me, if that sounds silly. On top of that, I get tired of waiting for 3 days to see him. I don't fancy the idea of seeing him three times this month when before I saw him around once every 3 years.

Internet would be a lot quicker and easier too.

Does such a thing exist?
  • Options
    There NHS direct, you may well be able to email them.

But of course no online GP is going to give you a script of any kind.
  • Options
    You could try NHS Direct, but I doubt that's what you are looking for.

Other than that, can I ask if you really need to see him three times in a month or if someone else at the surgery will help, and then add that you might want to consider if there is a reason why he would want to see you so often?

IT is okay, but sometimes have=ing a patient in front of you offers so much more...
  • Options
    You probably wouldn't get that kind of service in the UK because it would be medicolegal suicide. There are probably lots of American based websites but they are usually sponsored by a drug company or private healthcare company so you have to be careful.

Getting medical advice over the internet is risky, especially if it for something that would require thrice monthly visits to your GP.
  • Options
    I did a search for online doctors and the UK sites it came up with were these:

www.diagnose-me.co.uk
    www.247gp.co.uk
    www.netdoctor.co.uk
    www.e-med.co.uk
    www.medhelp.org

Not sure if they are what you are looking for, i havent clicked on any of them.
  • Options
    You could try NHS Direct, but I doubt that's what you are looking for.

Other than that, can I ask if you really need to see him three times in a month or if someone else at the surgery will help, and then add that you might want to consider if there is a reason why he would want to see you so often?

IT is okay, but sometimes have=ing a patient in front of you offers so much more...

Sorry for late reply.

I did need to see a doctor 3 times last month. I don't understand the next bit, why would he want to see me? What doctor actually wants to see their patients?

Having a patient infront of you may offer much more from a GP's perspective, but from mine (which is what is important to me) I feel IT would offer more just this time.
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:
    I don't understand the next bit, why would he want to see me? What doctor actually wants to see their patients?

If you have a condition which needs monitoring then your doctor will want to see you. That is the point I was making.
    Having a patient infront of you may offer much more from a GP's perspective, but from mine (which is what is important to me) I feel IT would offer more just this time.

So you would be happy with crap advice, just because it saved your lazy ass from attending the surgery?
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:
    Sorry for late reply.

I did need to see a doctor 3 times last month. I don't understand the next bit, why would he want to see me? What doctor actually wants to see their patients?

GPs, strangely, do want to practice medicine. After all, they've trained very hard for many years to get where they are.

If we're being cynical, I suppose we could say they want to see you to make sure you aren't going to die and they're going to accused of negligence or perhaps because you'll help them hit their targets.
  • Options
    So you would be happy with crap advice, just because it saved your lazy ass from attending the surgery?

You appear to have missed the point, evident from your implication that I'm too lazy to go to the surgery.

If it was a serious issue which I didn't know much about, then yes I would go to the GP. However, I wanted a pretty simple answer which I wouldn't be able to get from a site like this one. Please don't ask how I know.

No worries though.