Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

America

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Small rural places in America? What are they like?

I've always wanted to visit those little country places in America, like the ones you see in films where the rednecks are driving around the town in their tractors and everyone knows everyone in the town, anyone on here live in areas like that?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    visit the midwest. thats all there is. or the south, but there scary red necks there, not friendly ones like here
    Ahhh, the Mid-West, one long flat extravaganza of stip mall, corn fields and petrol stations.
    when your bored to death you have to be friendly and hick-ish :p but don't worry, there aren't that many strip malls. real malls instead. crappy ones with like a wal mart and a cheap hair salon.
    my_name wrote:
    when your bored to death you have to be friendly and hick-ish :p but don't worry, there aren't that many strip malls. real malls instead. crappy ones with like a wal mart and a cheap hair salon.

Well as long as they are real Malls then the Mid-West isnt a horrific never ending sea of car parking and shops.

I know you live there, so I dont want to be overtly bitchy, but it really is aesthetically a shite hole.
    be as bitchy as you want, it is a shit hole. I tried to leave the midwest but its already sucked me in. anyways though, any place you go is sure to have the small rural communities you want. but mind the different geography it all kinda sucks.
    Its not really even the strip malls and highways that get to me, its the fact that its all so bloody flat, thousands of miles and the highest point is a speed bump.
    If you've ever seen Independence Day where they are in the middle of the desert, as they're coming back from killing the aliens, they filmed that in Utah :blush:

tons of mountains + desert + LDS(aka Mormons) = Utah. :o
    Forget that, go to the Pacific Northwest.

Beautiful.
    Shogun wrote:

I've always wanted to visit those little country places in America, like the ones you see in films where the rednecks are driving around the town in their tractors and everyone knows everyone in the town, anyone on here live in areas like that?

WTF! you still off your box!
    hey.. i always wondered... what is michigan considered to be?
    it's not really midwest.. but it's not east...
    and is there a such thing as mideast? that just sounds funky... :/
    Reese_86 wrote:
    and is there a such thing as mideast? that just sounds funky... :/

yes, it's full of maniac arabs who want to blow up the western world :crazyeyes

i don't consider michigan to be part of the "hick" american culture, just another state.
    You should definitely go to Texas if you are looking for small, friendly little towns. I'm from a tiny little town in the Texas Hill Country, and it's beautiful and lives up to all the stereotypes that you probably have (everyone knows everyone, everyone drives a truck, everyone loves football, everyone has an accent and says "y'all", etc., etc.) Plus, the weather is great and people in Texas are so nice. I would skip the Midwest if I were you. I go to school in the Midwest and it's freezing here and people are rude.
    Always wanted to go to Texas, sounds a nice place.

My mate is going to Pittsburg next week for 2 months,work placement thing, where abouts in the US is that?
    I'd love to visit Texas as well...just for the country music :o
    Shogun wrote:
    Always wanted to go to Texas, sounds a nice place.

My mate is going to Pittsburg next week for 2 months,work placement thing, where abouts in the US is that?

Good old Pennsylvania - about 5 hours North of where I live - Allentown, PA. Or maybe this will help a little bit more - It's about 6 hours north of Phildelphia. Pittsburg is really a nice place - and people are fairly nice there.
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Good old Pennsylvania - about 5 hours North of where I live - Allentown, PA. Or maybe this will help a little bit more - It's about 6 hours north of Phildelphia. Pittsburg is really a nice place - and people are fairly nice there.

shogun hasn't got any idea of america so saying 6 hours north of philadelphia is useless to him...where is it in relation to new york...south i take it
    turlough wrote:
    shogun hasn't got any idea of america so saying 6 hours north of philadelphia is useless to him...where is it in relation to new york...south i take it

No, I am the same distance from New York as I am from Philly, it's about 6 hours West from New York.
    Shogun wrote:

Visit Norfolk :).
    ill admit, im from Los Angeles and Orange County so im not entirely used to the rural places in america. but i have been to every state in the country and i have to say-its not as romantic and cool as they make it out in the movies...obviously though, nor are most places. but honestly- let me paint you a little picture. flys and mosquitos everywhere, absolutely NO scenery-just bare fields, it smells like (pardonnez mon français) horse shit, there are a hell of a lot of rednecks...and i usually dont call people that --but these,BELIEVE ME were the epitomy-dont know if that was spelt right- of redneck. now, no offense to anyone who lives in the rural parts of north america- i am soo not trying to play up stereotypes....im just describing what i saw. and maybe i just had bad luck and visited all the bad places...hey, anythings possible!hope i didnt put u off.... :thumb: