Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

college student are students too...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hiya,
I just what to say how annoying it is that college students aren’t actually recognised as students, like you cant get a student rail card, debit cards or discounts in shops. any thoughts on this or am I the only one? Lou xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can you not get an NUS card through your college? i know most of my friends at college can and have, and that gives lots of discounts
    i think it might be because college doesnt cause such big debts as uni
    You can get a Connexions card, if you're 16-19. It's got shop discounts and rewards and stuff like that.

http://www.connexionscard.com
    Yeah as has been said, you can get the connexions card which a lot of places will accept as student ID. Also, as far as I'm aware there is no such thing as a student rail card but rather a young persons rail card which you can get from the age of 16 and will ive you 1/3 off rail travel. Banksprobably don't recognise you as a student until you go to university because most college students are living at home and are still provided for by their parents so the extra cash isn't usually essential, where as university students often have to live away from home, pay for essentials like food, bills etc. and it is very easy to get into financial difficulties .
    like you cant get a student rail card, debit cards or discounts in shops. any thoughts on this or am I the only one?

as has been mentioned, anyone over 16 can get a young person's railcard, you are entitled to an NUS card through your college which gives you the shop discounts, and most debit cards are for over 18s only, student or otherwise. and for all debit cards expect you to have either a wage or a student loan.
    You can get a debit card - Natwest give out a Solo card from the age of 12 and you can often get a Switch card if your earning money. Though you wont be able to get a proper debit card until you're 18 - not sure exactly why though.
    I don't think solo and switch cards are given out anymore - they are all maestro.
    Just depending whether it comes with a cheque guarantee or not, and then how much for.

But, seriously, although you can't get things like an interest free overdraft or anything as a college student ... you don't have the same financial responsbilities as uni students. And you're not putting any financial weight behind your studies in college.

Discount cards you can get very easy - NUS, rail, etc - just ask your college.
    You only need to be a "young person" to get your rail card.
    My bank reocnises me as a student and i'm in college. Halifax. It's the way to go. Unfortunately they've given me a credit card and overdraft and now i'm in loads of debt and not even at uni yet.

(my overdraft is interest free, you can get these at 18, which will make you a second year college student / first year uni.)
    I have a Connexions Card. Although I can't use half the promotions on it as I don't remember my PIN code :p

But you can get some good ones, apparently. Oh, and I was given the option of having a debit card with my bank when they switched my account from Barclayplus to Young Person's...I didn't take it, but my twin sister has one.
    cheers loads of help imust get me one of those connexion cards
    But you can get some good ones, apparently. Oh, and I was given the option of having a debit card with my bank when they switched my account from Barclayplus to Young Person's...I didn't take it, but my twin sister has one.

wow, if i was giving the chance for that i would jump and spend spend spend all my way to the shops. :shocking:
    cheers loads of help imust get me one of those connexion cards
    i have one of those cards.all the 6th form at my school do+u can get NUS card+ISIC card too if u want(js have to pick up the leaflet!). Also had a solo card for jonks which helps me with the ol internet shopping+keeping things from rents
    wow, if i was giving the chance for that i would jump and spend spend spend all my way to the shops. :shocking:

Lol thats probably why they don't want you to have one! But a debit card is not the same as a credit card, I've had a debit card since I was 16 and you have to put money in your account to spend, so its only your own money you are spending.