Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Please Help Me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi can anyone help i had a baby 7 months ago and since then i have been suffering from depression. I was put on tablets but then i suddenly stopped taking them because i didnt want to rely on them. Since i have stopped taking them i have been very off with my partner as he is very affectionate but for some reason i really dont like him being like this anymore i sometimes feel that i dont want him to touch me ETC i know i still love him but its just like i cant control this even though i try. It is really getting us both down and causing arguments.

Does anyone have any advice for me

Thanx :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they were antidepressants then you shouldn't of just stoped taking them, you need to come off those kind of drugs slowly. Maybe going back to your GP and telling him your thoughts and feelings and see what he or she has to say?
    there is a reason you were put on tablets and trust me, stopping taking them coz u dont want to rely on them will not help you in the long run (im assuming they were anti depressents?). most anti deppressents are non addictive and any good doctor wouldnt make you stop taking them suddenly anyway. if you have been prescribed them there is a good reason.

talking to people , other mums will help u understand the post natal depression is quite common, i think tweety might know a few mums boards.

your problems with your partner wont be solved though until you feel better in yourself.
    They were anti depressents i was taking. Thank you for your advice. I am just really worried to go back on them. i suppose i was just hoping the problem would just go away if i stopped taking. When i was on them it didnt feel like they were doing anything and the first few weeks after i stopped taking them i felt better than ever and now i am just worse than ever.
    Anti-depressants take a while to kick in, so you wouldn't have felt much of a difference at first anyway.

I got put on them last year but stopped taking them after a while and tried counselling instead, is this an option for you?

As someone else said, PND is quite common - Roughly 1 in 10 women get it after having a baby, then if you're still a teen it's 1 in 4 and then if you've suffered some sort of depression before, it's 1 in 2 (According to my midwife).

I'd go back and see your GP, they'll know you and your situation best so can arrange something to suit you & what you want.
    i felt like u, did what u did and ended up feeling worse. i was on them for a year in the end but im fine now... i didnt get dependent on them , it just took them that long to sort the problem, it was worth it though because now my life is the best it has ever been now that its sorted. they do prescribe them for a reason. which ones were u on?
    pmd you
    i was put on lustral first then they put me on prozac 20mg all in all i was taking them for about 5 months . i was sent to see a psychiatrist and then he referred me to a councellor who is trained for helping new mums i have seen her once and i am due to see her mon i cant really say this helps, if anything it makes me feel worse because i have to drag up my past (which is very bad) then i feel like she just left me to deal with this. Another thing that really doesnt help is me and my partner live in a very enclosed area which has no bus stops or any form of transport near so most of the time i am here on my own with the baby and we dont know our neighbours.
    is there perhaps anyway of gettin to know your neighbours? have you spotted one with a baby or young child? if so, do you have the confidence to pop round- maybe making an excuse to borrow some sugar or something- and start chatting? Havin some support in the area may be a great help.
    To be honest most of our neighbours work and just like to keep themselfs to themselfs. I havent seen anybody with a baby. I have tried making friends with one of the people bellow our flat after having lots of trouble from them with there music etc but they just dont seem to want to know. they come up once but just dont seem friendly at all. Must be me i suppose
    *completely offensive*
    I sincerely hope you're banned as soon as possible.
    get a life you idiot. aint you got anything better to do
    gemma.lock wrote:
    get a life you idiot. aint you got anything better to do

Sadly no, he hasn't.
    what is this world coming to these days
    gemma.lock wrote:
    what is this world coming to these days

I wouldn't like to say.
    my gp did tell it takes 6months for prozac to work properly
    The othjers are right - you should never come off any medication unless you have consulted your GP first. It sounds like you need to mix with other mums more so you can share what you are going through. If you contact your local council I'm sure they could help you find a local mother and baby group of some kind - or google your area and see what comes up?
    Hope you're feeling happier soon
    :)
    Perhaps you could have a chat with your health visitor and seek out a new mums club like spanner and others say. As with all forms of depression, you're not going to get better with drugs alone. You need to try and do things that would get you to enjoy being a mum and spend time with others in your position.

Do you drive? Is there any public transport you can use? Being stuck at home alone when you're feeling low is going to make you feel worse. Please seek help from your GP or health visitor.

Link to post natal depression info
    There's a discussion board there too. :)
    Just so that you know, depression is a chemical imbalance in your body and the longer you leave it without treating it the more likely you will suffer from this and the more severe it will become in the future. Anti-depressants are not just "happy pills" they actually restore the balance of Serotonin in your body, it is not a matter of relying on the drugs, it is like if you get sick and take antibiotics - exercise, a good diet also help a great deal!! If you are concerned about the drugs that you are taking read up on them on the net, there are many kinds that have little to no side effects and are not addictive at all.
  • ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    You might find the Association for Post Natal Illness useful, you can call their helpline on 020 7386 0868, it's staffed by volunteers who've been through PND and can offer you lots of support and information.

You might also find it helpful to call SANELINE about your problems with your medication and how you're feeling on 08457 678 000.

But like spanner said, you should go talk to your GP about coming off the medication.

Hope this helps some,
    CB
    hi im 20, i dont drive but i am looking in to this soon, its just difficult with the baby and im always so tired i cant concerntrate half the time. i have been trying for 4 days to try and get an oppointment with my gp but they keep saying they have nothing call back at 8.30 am. there is a mother and baby club but like i say with hardley any money and no transport its really difficult to get to i just feel so trapped in here its horrible
    if you can go to the nearest mother and baby group chances are you will make some friends who will be a bit nearer to you anyway - then maybe you could sort lifts or as my friend did , start ur own unofficial groups ,going round each others houses etc. its worth making the effort in the long run.maybe your man can help you out with travel expenses if you explain to him how important it is in you feeling better. or maybe your health visitor will find you one within walking distance, then you are excercising too, which will help lift your mood.

keep trying your gp too.
    i will try that then, thank you all for your advice
    I would definitely make the effort to go to the mums and tots group, even if you have to walk there.
    Just having a get together with others, having a coffee while the kids play safely, will make a big difference to your quality of life and its something to look forward to each week as well.
    Yes this would be also my suggestion. Also have you tried your local church, my parents aren't in any way religious and didnt' go to church on a sunday but joined the local church's baby sitting circle and made loads of friends who had kids of the same age - they used to do all sorts of stuff together and also got free baby sitting.