Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Good Things About War

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, they growin factories in Russia, courtesy of the Russian government.

Im not talking about the past 50 years, im takin gabout NOW.
  • Options
    and i'm saying you must be living on mars for the past 50 years if you think war is humane, the most inhumane thing you can do in fact.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Prob should have made clear I was talking about conventional - but I thought that was the context we were talking in.

Tribal wars there something else - but its not technology doing the killing there - its the good old fashioned AK-47 and the machette.
    i'm talking conventional as well.
    your idea that one side blows a bridge up means a whole division on the other side of that bridge is out of action is first world fighting third world ...like we have now in iraq. if it was a modern force against an equaly modern force ...they would fire a battery of missiles at whoever destroyed the bridge ...
    but thats not the kind of wars we fight anymore is it.
  • Options
    That's why you knock out coms. Of course war kills - but conventional war is much less bloody than it used to be at the time of Waterloo. Add to that modern medical advances and casualty evacuation - fatalities are moving from about 1:1 dead to injured ratio at waterloo, 1:3 ratio in WW2 to about 1:10 ratio now.

Also beforehand equipment was less hard to replace and the soldier could fight without it.
  • Options
    Hmm, the objective benefits of war -

Population control. War kills people, which keeps population numbers down, which could be helpful because the world has too many people. Unfortunately it kills indiscriminately with no real regard to ability or other selective criteria, so this is not entirely useful, and post-war there may be a population bloom again as people are encouraged to procreate.

Technology. Major advances in technology are inspired by and driven by war and its subsidiary companies. Without war the progress of mankind would be severly limited, as a more content society may be less inclined to do any kind of experimental research.

Government. War gives the governments of places something to do, which is quite helpful as it prevents them from fucking up their own country too much by giving the government other things to concentrate on.

Community spirit. Within the nations at war, the feeling of belonging can be increased. Of course, conversly, some people may disagree with the war view and so divisions are created, and obviously there is the greater division between the nations involved on the different sides of the conflict - though this in turn may be removed after the war ends unless there is extreme insurgency.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Population control. War kills people, which keeps population numbers down, which could be helpful because the world has too many people..

:confused: excuse me, what are you on about, who says there should be a cap on world population, it's not that there's too many people, it's that we are using up our resources like greedy bastards and not having any regard for other people.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused: excuse me, what are you on about, who says there should be a cap on world population, it's not that there's too many people, it's that we are using up our resources like greedy bastards and not having any regard for other people.

Surely it is accepted knowledge that we require a limited extinction every so often to keep things moving nicely?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Surely it is accepted knowledge that we require a limited extinction every so often to keep things moving nicely?

aye if it was some uncontrollable outside influence that was causing the problem
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    aye if it was some uncontrollable outside influence that was causing the problem

yes, the plague of man kind and its polluting machines.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    yes, the plague of man kind and its polluting machines.

i bet you think i'm a right hippy, i'm not really though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i bet you think i'm a right hippy, i'm not really though.

I don't know anything about you really, I was simply extending my original line of thought.

Objectively speaking, man shouldn't be on earth so getting rid of some of them can't be that wrong.

Alternatively war could advance us to a state where we can move to other places.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Objectively speaking

key words, we can all wreck our heads making links between problems and solutions and thinkin theoretically, we'll only hit a brick wall but when you think about it, we're here for some reason or other and i think we should help each other out, that should be our nature but the brain thinks in mysetrious ways.