Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

co-proxamol is withdrawn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
story

just out of interest, how many people on here will this effect?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know its a pain killer, but of what sort? Is it an opiate?
    I can see it affecting alot of people as it's a wide range prescribed painkiller, (as I know alot of people who've taken it).
    bongbudda wrote:
    I know its a pain killer, but of what sort? Is it an opiate?
    It's a compound analgesic with an opioid and paracetamol. It's the most common prescription medication to cause death in overdose. It's very unpopular with people who deal with drug overdoses.
    slightly off topic - cutest av ever :)
    ah thanks and i would say she is the cutest girl ever, but i am biased!

re the topic, sorry about the brief post, i was in a rush just before lunch.

pinkslippers is right, it is one of the most widely precribed pain killers, so will affect masses of people, I was wondering (just curious like) about how many people on here it might affect, and what the doctors will come up as a replacement.
    im prescribed it on a regular basis, my doctor refuses to do anything about my continuous headaches (almost 4 years ive had them now) so fobbs me off with 100x packets of co-proxamol

meh spose they'll give me something else
    well i guess they'll just get prescribed another painkiller.
    Its used for mild to moderate pain and does have a warning not to be used with people with suicidal or addictive tendencies.
    Co-codamol is a similar sort of thing isnt it?
    Can't believe they've withdrawn yet another drug used to treat arthritis! Luckily I've not been on either co-proxamol or any cox2 inhibitors, but wouldn't be very happy if I was, especially cos it takes some people ages to find something that works. Honestly!
    Co-codamol is a similar sort of thing isnt it?
    Roughly, yes. Both are formed from opiates derivatives.

Codeine (found in co-codamol with paracetamol) is a tenth as potent as morphine, and usually combined with paracetamol or NSAIDs. It is relatively safe, although it has mild side effects e.g. constipation. An overdose of paracetamol and codeine is far more lethal than paracetamol alone, but a minor one would not kill you.

Dextropropoxyphene (found in co-proxamol with paracetamol), although half as potent is codeine, is up with tricyclic antidepressants in the death stakes. It's similar to methadone (the substitute given to heroin addicts), and can result in similar effects to heroin - cardiac arrests, and other effects on the heart. Although some believe that dextropropoxyphene has little more additional analgesic effect than paracetamol alone, a very minor overdose could easily kill you.

To summarise: Co-codamol, not so fatal. Co-proxamol, rather fatal really. :thumb:
    I work in a chemist and we give it out loads. :/
    Scarlet wrote:
    Roughly, yes. Both are formed from opiates derivatives.

Codeine (found in co-codamol with paracetamol) is a tenth as potent as morphine, and usually combined with paracetamol or NSAIDs. It is relatively safe, although it has mild side effects e.g. constipation. An overdose of paracetamol and codeine is far more lethal than paracetamol alone, but a minor one would not kill you.

Dextropropoxyphene (found in co-proxamol with paracetamol), although half as potent is codeine, is up with tricyclic antidepressants in the death stakes. It's similar to methadone (the substitute given to heroin addicts), and can result in similar effects to heroin - cardiac arrests, and other effects on the heart. Although some believe that dextropropoxyphene has little more additional analgesic effect than paracetamol alone, a very minor overdose could easily kill you.

To summarise: Co-codamol, not so fatal. Co-proxamol, rather fatal really. :thumb:

Interesting, thank you.

So, why isnt codiene as dangerous as dextropropoxyphrene if its twice as potent? Theyre both opioids. Is it just because theyree different and have different effects?
    Codiene can be addictive, is that when taken alone(if its possible to get it on its own) or is that when its with paracetemol/ibuprofen/aspirin?
    its strange that i was prescribed huge boxes when i was depressed/suicidal

never quite got my head round that one
    luckily ive got about 200 stashed in my cupboard, never been prescribed it tho, got it off my gran for my tonsilitus, get it serious about 8-10 times a year. works wonders, finally getting my tonsils out this year!! woooo