Home Drink & Drugs

drug charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do drug charges carry such severe penalties with the law ?

I mean, you can get life imprisionment for some charges; or several years in prision for possession of a class A drug.

If you killed someone you'd serve what? - 10 years may be, get out earlier...

Drugs arn't that dangerous and they are not guaranteed to take a life or anything.

So, why is the penalty so high? :chin:

just wondering ... again

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Women and children
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why do we invade innocent countries and kill inocent people ...why is the moon made of cheese ...why the fuck do we put up with it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote:
    Why do drug charges carry such severe penalties with the law ?

    I mean, you can get life imprisionment for some charges; or several years in prision for possession of a class A drug.

    If you killed someone you'd serve what? - 10 years may be, get out earlier...

    Drugs arn't that dangerous and they are not guaranteed to take a life or anything.

    So, why is the penalty so high? :chin:

    just wondering ... again

    My guess is that 99.99% of countries probably agree with you but are all too pussy to make the first move. Look at the conservatives - if they come into power they want to classify cannabis as class B again. Amsterdam is the notable exception, and if you look at the facts and figures either the decriminalisation made a difference, or something else very big happened that sorted it out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote:
    Why do drug charges carry such severe penalties with the law ?

    I mean, you can get life imprisionment for some charges; or several years in prision for possession of a class A drug.

    If you killed someone you'd serve what? - 10 years may be, get out earlier...

    Drugs arn't that dangerous and they are not guaranteed to take a life or anything.

    So, why is the penalty so high? :chin:

    just wondering ... again

    it's just still one of those taboo areas where scoiety still hasn't wised up and took things seriously, so "druggies" are still seen as evil monsters lurking in the shadows waiting for the next fix which needs to be stopped immediately therefore give them heavy prison sentences. bullshit of course
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think its a lot of them problems that come with drugs that makes peoples opinions so bad about them. Prostitution, stealing, death etc
    The only time we hear about drugs in the media is when they have caused pain/hurt/death etc so people are bound to have a negative opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lexijb wrote:
    I think its a lot of them problems that come with drugs that makes peoples opinions so bad about them. Prostitution, stealing, death etc
    n.
    less than 10 % of users go on to have any kind of problem
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lexijb wrote:
    I think its a lot of them problems that come with drugs that makes peoples opinions so bad about them. Prostitution, stealing, death etc
    The only time we hear about drugs in the media is when they have caused pain/hurt/death etc so people are bound to have a negative opinion.

    The daily mirror is hardly going to write an article saying " people have great time on friday night" >...lots of young people gather every week and take ecstacy, have the time of their lives, go home and think about all the stupid things they've done and then do it all again..with no water! :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The harsh penalties are supposed to act as a deterant, though actually the clear up rate on drug charges is so stupidly small that people think its worth the risk.

    I heard recently that if you tallied up all the pills, cannabis etc. thats used and compare it with the actual number of people caught you've got a 1 in 20,000 chance of being caught.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I personally dont have a problem with people who take drugs. I was just letting you know other peoples opinions who i've discussed them with.
    Majority of my friends take some kind of drugs.
    It scares me alittle bit when i think about what could happen....but what can i do! its their choice, just make sure im there if something does!
    To me its a big deal about how much they're taking, to them its just fun! Different attitudes on life and how to live it!

    someone i know and some of his mates broke into a house to steal, ended up frightening the man in the house to have a heart attack. They ended up in prison for manslaughter, all because they couldnt afford to buy some coke for the weekend. One of them missed his kids growing up. Just dont think its worth the risk.

    I personally believe if drug laws were relaxed there would be more problems, however, i sometimes think part of the attraction is the lifestyle that goes with drugs, partly created by the risk/danger. i could be wrong, just my opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh certainly, for a lot of kids half of the buzz from drugs is the risk.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Oh certainly, for a lot of kids half of the buzz from drugs is the risk.

    certainly my reasons for starting, this past few months though i've been beginning to mature a lot more, not that i've stopped, i'm just being able to control the buzz more and it's better that way.

    lexjib- i'm not sure many people would attempt to kill someone for a bit of coke, are you sure it wasn't crack, thats a lot more addictive than sniffing. i'm also concerned about the amount of drugs people take, everyone, i'm sure you drink, one day my mate drank himself stupid and fell asleep on a train track, we were lucky to get him off, i wonder if he did die would it have made the papers, i doubt it but i'm sure the "16 year old dies from killer ecstacy drug" story would, just don't listen to everything you say, the best way to look at drugs is educate yourself, once you do that you'll accept their use and come to your own conclusions whether you should take them or not
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yer sorry i dont know much about what type of drug it was. Something like coke lol

    I know drinkin is just as bad, but see all the bad press that gets!

    How often do you see any non prescription drug gettin good press that includes tobacco and alcohol!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to point out... murder carries a compulsory life sentence.

    A life sentence is 25 years.

    However, for some bizarre reason, the English legal system allows prisoners to serve only half the sentence, meaning a life sentence *really* means 12 years, in some cases at least.

    Then you can get off even earlier than that for good behaviour.

    Figure that one out :thumb:


    Also, giving somebody a drug that leads to their death may lead to at the very least a manslaughter conviction, which may in part answer your question.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    where on earth do you get twenty five years from?
    a life sentence is more like 14 years ...unless the sentence carries a judges recomendation with it.
    most murders are not planned and are within familkies ...rather than done by criminals ...it's the criminal murders that usualy get the judges wotsit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    where on earth do you get twenty five years from?

    Well, okay. I've searched around and I can't find anything to back me up on this one, so either my memory's going or my teacher lied to me :)

    However, the rest of the post is still valid, I was more trying to make the point that although you get 'life' for murder, it's not actually 'life' and is really comparatively short.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dominatrix wrote:
    Well, okay. I've searched around and I can't find anything to back me up on this one, so either my memory's going or my teacher lied to me :)

    However, the rest of the post is still valid, I was more trying to make the point that although you get 'life' for murder, it's not actually 'life' and is really comparatively short.

    still doesn't retract anything form the harshness of drug sentances, in fact it makes them sound harsher, personally, i tihnk giving a cannabis or an E dealer years inside for providing a business thats in demand is stupid, do they prosecute alcohol premises for selling drink to people that drink too much and die or die because of drinking too much, no, well it all goes back to legality, and the best thing to do is make drugs legal so we can have a bit of control over the situation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea getting life for murder does not necessarily life and the charges can be taken down to manslaughter which serves an even less sentence for offenders.

    And then someone doing a good deed caught with 50kilos of cannabis could be sent down for a few years, there's been people gotten away with only 4 or 5 years in jail for manslaughter, people caught with 1000's of pills could do that sentence.

    The whole justice system is fucked.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    still doesn't retract anything form the harshness of drug sentances, in fact it makes them sound harsher, personally, i tihnk giving a cannabis or an E dealer years inside for providing a business thats in demand is stupid, do they prosecute alcohol premises for selling drink to people that drink too much and die or die because of drinking too much, no, well it all goes back to legality, and the best thing to do is make drugs legal so we can have a bit of control over the situation.

    Well, potentially, a lot of damage can be caused by drugs. You get the kind of dealers that sell to young kids, and that's just fucked up, getting them addicted to something at that age. Then there's the people who don't really understand what they're getting into and end up with huge debts because of it. So yes, tbh when someone's fucking up loads of lives... maybe it is deserving of a few years in jail (not that jail is effective; but as regards a punishment it's the best we have available to us really). Yes, I realise that everyone is to be blamed for their own actions; no one forced the drugs down their throat, but at the same time a degree of responsibility is needed.

    And btw, whatever impression you might have got from the above, I'm not anti-drugs and I'm not pro-establishment. I'm doing a Law degree so I do have a degree of insight into the legal world and I can see the pros and cons; while I also have an insight into the drug world for personal reasons and know from that that the way the government treat us as regards illegal substances is stupid, especially considering them in comparison to legalised drugs.

    To paraphrase Bill Hicks, whoever heard of two stoners fighting at the end of the night?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dominatrix wrote:
    Well, potentially, a lot of damage can be caused by drugs. You get the kind of dealers that sell to young kids, and that's just fucked up, getting them addicted to something at that age. Then there's the people who don't really understand what they're getting into and end up with huge debts because of it. So yes, tbh when someone's fucking up loads of lives... maybe it is deserving of a few years in jail (not that jail is effective; but as regards a punishment it's the best we have available to us really). Yes, I realise that everyone is to be blamed for their own actions; no one forced the drugs down their throat, but at the same time a degree of responsibility is needed.

    i was goin to say that until i read that second commeny, what u are saying thereis true to a degree, but let me add this, alcohol is more addictive than most drugs, and what drugs are dealers selling to children that'll get them addicted, i can't see why an E delaer should have ot go down for the same time as a heroin dealer, the two drugs are in two different leagues whatsover, also, there's alcohol premises that sell drink to children, not all dealers sell to children either, you just have to look about and who's fault is it that children are doing drugs, drugs or society, alot of people see this in pure black and white terms, i've searched deep in my mind understanding reasons for drug use and the fairness in the law in regards to these reasons, it just doesn't add up in all honesty.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dominatrix wrote:
    Well, okay. I've searched around and I can't find anything to back me up on this one, so either my memory's going or my teacher lied to me :)

    However, the rest of the post is still valid, I was more trying to make the point that although you get 'life' for murder, it's not actually 'life' and is really comparatively short.
    despite what people think ...very few dangerous people get out of a life sentence early. when you do get out your on licience for life ...drunk and disorderly sees you straight back to your cell to finnish off the sentence.
    one of the worst crimes you can commit in this country is stealing dosh from her maj or her maj's government ...look at the great train robbers.
Sign In or Register to comment.