Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UK police release Guantanamo four

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the US will no longer support odious foreign regimes.

Pure, unadalterated bollocks .................
    the US will no longer support odious foreign regimes

LOL! Save, of course, for the odious regimes the Bush admin continues to support.
    THese are dangerous people, not normal criminals or even normal terrorists.

And, like it or not, this is a war we are fighting, similar , if not in nature, than in stakes, to the wars the West fought against Nazi Germany and the Soviets in the 20th century.

Yes, some methods used may be morally questionable, but when you are fighting a war then you msut make difficult decisions.

Of course one impotant detachment from the Cold War is that the US will no longer support odious foreign regimes. We dont have the threat of Soviet tyranny forcing our hand to support dictatorships.

i was under the impression there was no proof. maybe we should ram a broom hndle up ur bum and see if u consider that a necessary evil.
    THese are dangerous people,

How do you know? :confused: Are you privy to some information that no one else is? Or do you just blindly believe whatever the US government says?
    Ever heard of Uzbekistan, Chile, Saudi Arabia, Central American death squads etc etc etc ad nauseam, Matadore?

You're funny :)
    THese are dangerous people, not normal criminals or even normal terrorists.

Really? What do you base this claim on?
    And, like it or not, this is a war we are fighting, similar , if not in nature, than in stakes, to the wars the West fought against Nazi Germany and the Soviets in the 20th century.

Yes, some methods used may be morally questionable, but when you are fighting a war then you msut make difficult decisions.

In a war, those detained have certain rights. In this case those rights are not being observed.

If we really are fighting tyranny, the the first weapons are freedom, justice and accountability. About time we used them.
    Of course one impotant detachment from the Cold War is that the US will no longer support odious foreign regimes.

Surely you say that with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek, given that they are currently supporting odious regimes.
    if you have been following The Power of Nightmares series.

An excellent series.

One which, if you have been watching it, would point out that there is more than one "side" to this problem.
    Innocent until proven guilty has been a lynchpin of UK (and US) law for hundreds of years.

Now the US Government may be right that these are dangerous killers who be quite happy to kill hundreds of civilians for their cause. I tend to suspect that they weren't wandering around the wilds of Pakistan admiring the local wildlife and were in fact linked with the Taliban or Al-Q.

But the point is that unless you can proove it in a court of law my suspisions, President Bush's, Bliars and everyone else's is just a view. And until they are brought to court and convicted they should be treated as innocent of any crime.
    lukesh wrote:
    if these guys are so innocent why the hell do they need 24 hour watch?

god help us if they do somthing on this land.

thing is luke, they indeed could be dangerous terrorists that need constant watch or they could be innocent normal people but we have no proof of this, thats the thing that annoys us, how would you feel if you were arrested and put in constant watch without proof or a trial, very angry i'd say.
    Dissolution of the USA

The pleasure I would get from shoving a broom handle up bushes arse.....

I'm afraid to say that the bush administration really has increased my anti-american sentiment - and im not even a terrorist! The more I think about it all, the more it p***** me off.

To be honest, superpowers always cause the biggest mess. The US would be better off if the states were all made into seperate, independent countries. It would redirect focus on local issues and stop them from trying to waste their time telling everyone else what they should be doing.
    At the end of the day, whether they did anything right or wrong, they still shouldn't have been tortured or incarcerated without a fair trial under international law.

Simple as.
    The USA wont make the same mistake again about Guantanamo if they do have to go into Iran, they'll just shoot anyone they catch in the war zone out there now instead of shipping them back then no one would be any the wiser.

Bet they wish they had done that with these now instead of bringing em back to Cuba.

BTW Im not a fan of guantanamo bay, but im also not a fan of brits strolling around Afganistan during war time claiming to be doing a computer course, These people shouldnt have been treated like the were, but they way some are almost proclaiming them as "heros" on thier return I do find very strange.

I still havnt heard one logical reason why the other 3 were out in the area at the time (Though I do have to admit if they was an innocent one Mohammed Begg does appear to be performing some sort of charity work so id be most inclined to believe what he has to say) The other 3 I wouldnt want to meet at any point in my life.
    Yeah, some inspired thinking there Tommo. Kill em all - erm isn't that what they've been trying to do anyway - if you think how often the media tells us about "insurgent attacks", and then we find that the coalition forces have managed to kill many, many more civilians.

BTW, I doubt any of the Guantanamo detainees have any desire whatsoever to meet you. I bet they've had their fill of oiks who think that they know it all, and theres no need for due process.

When you join the army, don't forget your camera. Your mum'll love the snapshots and with a bit of luck they'll end up on the front page of all the papers as well.
    no intention of joining the army Bert.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    no intention of joining the army Bert.

But you have just right the right attitude.

And I'm sure you think that the torture looks like fun......
    Going back to Guantanamo a bit:

US judge: military tribunals for Guantanamo are illegal

Good to see there are still a few decent human beings in a position of power in the USA.

Though I wouldn't expect this judge's career to last much longer, after daring to expose the US government as the evil fascist cunts they are.
    Because they are hypocrite imperialistic deranged warmongering dangerous aggresive evil cunts who must be stopped at all costs.
    J wrote:
    Well, they can't take the whole world over can they? They can keep the end of it... The Westside, and keep going left.
    Lol, it's like a quote I saw....

"The Sun never set on the British Empire because it rises in the East and sets in the West."

Whatever happens, empires will always be bad news. They force foreign ideals onto people and suffocate their freedom. Then they loot and pillage everyone until all the money has gone, and say here, have your independance back.

I have grave concerns about the way Britain does exactly what the US tells it too. One of many reasons I will not be voting for Blair.
    J wrote:
    Well, they can't take the whole world over can they? They can keep the end of it... The Westside, and keep going left.

they already do control it, i can go outside and do whatever i want, i have loads of freedom in that sense but they can turn all the lights out and nuke us at the blink of an eye, its control and it scares me.
    J wrote:
    Why would they want to nuke a planet they live on? Yeah, nukes worry me, but hopefully they will never use them. I know they did in WWII but they were nothing like the ones we have today.

we were so close with the cuban crisis if memory serves me correct, the basic ideals of humans have changed over the past few centuries, there's no such thing as compassion, it's human gain, it's lies, corruption, power. it's like saying why pollute the air and earth with chemicals, cos we can get from A to B easily, cos we can make nice food, it's us being too greedy and i'm sure america wouldn't hesitate in nuking somewhere because it serves their interests, i really wouldn't, saying that, i think ireland is the safest place in the world at the mo, the americans love us because half of them are us and terrorists actually look at our own cause for inspiration so we're fine and dandy for now