Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Summer Work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys :yum:

I'm in my first year of uni and wondering what to do for a summer job (I so need one, horribly horribly overdrawn!). Any tips?

I'm thinking about Camp America, it would look good on my CV as I want to apply to do a primary PGCE, have any of you done this and if so what was your experience?

Thanks xx

Comments

• Options
    There's a poster for camp america in our common room at school, says on it how much the pay is. Can't remember how much but it sounded really shit. Works out at something like $70/week. I guess you get accomodation, meals etc and if you're doing it for your CV doesn't matter that much. Don't think I'm gonna do it though when I've finished school. Good luck if u do it.
  • Options
    some people get factory jobs. ok so not the best job around but i'm told they pay alright. and well if needs must... :yes:
  • Options
    You should do Camp America for sure. A girl I know has done it a couple of summers and loved it! Seriously. She made heaps of friends and said it was just great. I think it would be an excellent opportunity but I was never bold enough. Something like that isnt for the money, its for the experience. If you just want money do telesales.
  • Options
    patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    I have never done Camp America myself but I know friends who have- and who have enjoyed themselves a lot. One thing I remember them all saying is that you should be prepared to work hard. But it is a bit like life- your time will probably be what you make it. Have you checked out Camp America's website?

If you are interested in earning money rather than having an interesting time you could consider this link on working during the summer.

I know you are not talking about a gap year, but may be some of the info on TheSite.org might be interesting.
  • Options
    camp america is DEFINATELY not for money, there is no money to be made coz it costs u to go then the pay u on return and u just about break even. valuable experience indeed - just wont help overdraft
  • Options
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm leaning towards camp america at the moment, I'm gonna go to one of the roadshow things though I think and talk to some people who've done it before I decide.

Thanks again! x :wave:
  • Options
    Although I know a few people who had good experiences with Camp America, one of my friends hated it. He was doing a drama degree and assumed that he would be placed in a position where he could use this. He ended up being a kitchen skivvy. Also said that a lot of the Europeans were treated badly by the Americans and his accomodation left a lot to be desired. Obviously this is only one persons bad experience and maybe its an iscolated case as like I say, lots of people enjoy Camp America.
  • Options
    My housemate did Camp America and LOVED it. He said as well as the wage, the parents give you huge tips of over $100 at the end (if you're nice to the kids, that is), plus he met lots of people, travelled and had a wicked time. Whatever you pay to go on the camp, you'll definitely get back, but you might not actually earn much over that, so you'd need a normal job back at home too.
  • Options
    Think you gotta decide whether you want experience or money...
    That will help you decide.
    Couple of my friends are doing camp america, and a couple have. Only ever heard good things-apart from the money!