Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Good advice is hard to find

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

Answering my own question, that would be "don't close too many doors too early" given to me in a Parents Evening by my Deputy Headmaster a few years ago. He was referring specifically to college subject choices at the time, but I seem to be able to apply this advice to most other areas of life too.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "No matter how bad things get, there is always somebody worse off than you".

My dad sent me a birthday card with that on once. It helped me keep things in perspective for a while, before I lost all perspective, and has been helping me keep things in perspective for a lot of months now :)
    Trust in yourself
    Anything's possible etc no mountain too high........
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Don't eat yellow snow.
    Eat. Always good to know.
    Just do it - Nike

yes i agree, i'm lucky to live in the world i live in now, i know it could be alot better but at the same time it could be far far far worse so i'm just going to be grateful form now on.
    "Things could be worse"

Always can be whilst we'r still alive.

Like take one of my friends for example, over 2 weeks everything was going alright...now he's homeless 10 days tomorrow, life can always be worse for someone else but it can get better too.
    JsT wrote:
    Don't eat yellow snow.

Pmsl!!! :lol:

Best advice yet!
    Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
    Don't let the dead kill the living.
    Trust none.

Not to put a downer on the thread or anything.

Also,

Do not fix what is not broken.

Lastly,

Some American thing someone important once told me that I can't remember. Started with "If you want to be rich, you son of a bitch.." then ended in "paddle your own canoe".

I'm so shit.
    J wrote:
    "spilling coke on your keyboard will stop it working" Anonymous.

Especially if you spill it on your laptop. That stops the whole thing from working :yes:

It has to be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Which is the same as what Capacity said. I couldn't think of anything better :(
    It sounds really cheesy but the best advice I ever got was off my Dad, he said. 'Life is a bastard sometimes, but hang on in there, because something good will happen soon to help balance things out'.

At the time I was working abroad, by myself, I just found out my best friend was being transferred to a different country and one of my guests had just died in a scuba-diving accident...my Dad sent that to me in a text and looking at it helped. I still look at it now sometimes. And the other day he told me that his Dad told him that when he was younger too, so he was passing it on :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Same with me (see my sig?). I don't remember who said it, it either was something I realized on my own or it was my former (I guess) best friend.

Other than that, I also like "You can't succeed if you're afraid of failure". I just wish I could follow this one...
    Zalbor wrote:
    "You can't succeed if you're afraid of failure". I just wish I could follow this one...
    I think exactly the same thing...
    I like a line from my sig:
    Inspiration-Aspiration-Perspiration