Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Digital Camera, so to speak as it were.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When looking for a digital camera, which one do I get?

Here are a list of my specifications:

Must take good photo's
Small in size

Also, which one do you have and how do you rate it?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    It's recommended that 3mp as a minimum resolution, and get with optical zoom, because digital doesn't do enough.
  • Options
    I have the olympus c3020z. It's old now so is not as good as some of the new cameras out, and it takes real batteries instead of a battery pack. It does however take really nice pictures.

I got littlemissy the Sony DSC-L1 for Christmas, it has 4megapixels, will do video with sound, and is pretty tiny. I'd recommend that.
  • Options
    There are too many answers for your question.

What does "good picture" mean? The same can be said for a TV. If you want a telly, what size do you want it to be in inches? Teletext? Widescreen? Built-in VHS and DVD?

The criteria for digital cameras?

Megapixels. Think of a monitor resolution. The normality is 1024 x 768. Multiply those two numbers to give megapixels. 4 megapixels is 2288 x 1712. This is bigger than most computer screens can handle, but that size will print well on A4 paper.

Optical zoom. 4x 10x etc. This is zoom that is provided by the camera lense. True zoom. This is what you want.

Digital zoom. The lenses have done their bit. The camera's software is now zooming further in on the picture. However, the extra detail in the picture can only be achieved by guessing what the extra pixels are. It's the same as scanning a photo into Photoshop and running a resize on it.
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:
    When looking for a digital camera, which one do I get?

Here are a list of my specifications:

Must take good photo's
    Small in size

Also, which one do you have and how do you rate it?

Many thanks.

You shouldn't even post a question like this without including a budget

I can think of some nice £3,000+ Nikons or a nice £100 Minolta
  • Options
    At college we use the Cannon G5, i love this camera, but as far as i know they are £400 plus but is 5.0 million pixels

Although you could go for the G3 is about the same except is 4 mill pixels and is alot cheeper

stats for both cameras

Canon PowerShot G5

Body

Black

Sensor

1/1.8" 5.24 megapixel

Effective pixels
    5.0 million

Image sizes
    • 2592 x 1944
    • 1600 x 1200
    • 1024 x 768
    • 640 x 480

Continuous
    • High speed: 2.0 fps, max 8
    • Standard: 1.5 fps, max 11
    * (Large/Fine, LCD Off)

Canon PowerShot G3

Body

Silver

Sensor

1/1.8" 4.13 megapixel

Effective pixels
    4.0 million

Image sizes
    • 2272 x 1704
    • 1600 x 1200
    • 1024 x 768
    • 640 x 480

Continuous
    • High speed: 2.5 fps, max 15
    • Standard: 1.5 fps, max 14
    * (Large/Fine, LCD Off)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Mist wrote:
    I got littlemissy the Sony DSC-L1 for Christmas, it has 4megapixels, will do video with sound, and is pretty tiny. I'd recommend that.

:yes:

Fantastic little thing, extremely versatile and comes highly recommended.

The pictures are fantastic and can't wait til we get a printer and print them out. You can even take pictures in the 3:2 format (ie when you print them they will come out 6x4 instead of a random size like normal) It's got lots of lovely features.

And, as it is Sony, once you register your camera with them, you can get lots of decent offers with the company including 25% off memory cards and other accessories.
  • Options
    Urgh. Getting technical.

I don't really fancy going above 250 quid; but sure I'd kick out a few extra quids if it was worth it.

Basically I want the best I can get for that. The best optical zoom, pixels and all the rest of it.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Capacity wrote:
    Urgh. Getting technical.

I don't really fancy going above 250 quid; but sure I'd kick out a few extra quids if it was worth it.

Basically I want the best I can get for that. The best optical zoom, pixels and all the rest of it.

Mine was under 200 and still really good quality. It is so teeny I can take it everywhere too :D
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:

I got the Olympus C765UZ for £240. 4 megapixel, 10x optical. Disk usage is about 1 meg per shot based on top settings. A 16MB xD card is included. Obviously, you'll want to better that by adding a 128MB jobby for about £25. That will give you a further 128(ish) photos, which is about 5 normal 24-exp camera films.

The camera comes with its own battery and charger, strap, data lead. Note that if you have a combo printer with a card slot, then you won't need the data lead.
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:
    Urgh. Getting technical.

you might/should be able to pick up a G3 for a little over £250... okay it's not the smallest but it's a bloody brillient camera
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XNSU4/qid=1107162903/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-1450457-5305207

That's the camera my family has got, it's a really good one, easy to use and quick processer (there are some digital cameras that take an age to load a menu screen, incredibly annoying).

Have a looky at the specs, there isnt much feedback, but for the money it's not worth it. My parents paid $600 for it or something in America :lol:
  • Options
    I'll check them. Thanks.