Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pallitive care that you talk about

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
............so what exactly does it consist off ?

Ive heard many people here talk about it and wondered exactly what you mean by it and what people recieve from it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dictionary definition of palliative is relieving without curing. So there you go, that's what it is. In the case of terminal cancer patients, for example, it could mean going into a hospice for the last few months, have the pain alleviated as much as possible, being kept in the most comfortable way, even when there's clearly no hope.
    What about when the patient is at home ?

what kinds of things do they offer the patient so that they can stay at home longer ? surely palliative care means the whole package of caring not just the pain side....or am I wrong ? by care I mean when they are at home doctors/medical staff keeping in close contact with the patient to see how they are coping and also how the family are coping etc
    Well, my mum had a mcmillan (sp?!) nurse visit her daily. She'd mix this coctail of drugs in a really big syringe, which was fitted to an automated drip, it went of every 15 mins, like the plunger of the syringe was pushed down more, and it went in through an IV feed in her chest. Do you want to talk about this over PM?
    sorry :(

As I said it was not the pain side but more the whole package of caring i meant.
    relieving without curing.
    thanfyou fiend.
    thats how i understand it.
    i am about to be educated about this.
    i will have the phone numbers ...of one particular nurse ...24hrs a day.
    i can actualy turn up on the renal ward without appointment ...and speak to people from the top to the bottom if i at any point need to discuss something.
    this one nurse will be in and out of my home and my life on a very regular basis. to the point of mne probably giving her a key to my house.
    i'll tell you more when it all actualy starts happening.
    You see people here talk about the help thats available but in reality I dont think the help/advice is as freely given to patients as some people here make out.
    Infact id go to say that after diagnosis of specific cases you are just a number until you are really sick.

I hope im wrong and things will drastically change, however I dont anticipate this happening.
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    You see people here talk about the help thats available but in reality I dont think the help/advice is as freely given to patients as some people here make out.
    Infact id go to say that after diagnosis of specific cases you are just a number until you are really sick.

I hope im wrong and things will drastically change, however I dont anticipate this happening.
    i don't live in a city ...all cities are under strain ...massive populations squeezing all the inches and rescourseses ...the nhs hospital i deal with ...is a seriously big one for these parts ...very modern.
    i have been in this situation for less than two weeks and believe me ...the ammount of things i forgot to ask regarding medication diet etc ...i have already been back a half dozen times ...been treated fantsticaly.
    i think medicaly and many other ways ...you see many of the overload situations.
    here in the countryside ...the systems that are in place ...are generaly under far less strain.
    been treated fantsticaly.
    i think medicaly and many other ways ...you see many of the overload situations.

The hospital I cannot fault, its when you leave there. I think people are left to their own devices after having a major shock when a serious illness has been diagnosed.
    As I say hopsital appointments, scans etc have been fantastic cant fault that one bit...but to me the after care is very lapsy daisy.
    Services differ from town to town, but MacMillan are usually a big part of it, as are the Marie Cure Foundation. Palliative care is more about reducing the pain that the patient suffers and trying to make them confortable as they go through what can be a trying treatment cycle.

There is also "Respite" care, this is when Marie Curie (for example) will arrange for a nurse ti sit with the patient, allowing the family to have some time to themselves (maybe some sleep) because we appreciate that looking after someone with cancer can be very tiring emotionally and physically.

I would suggest that you contact your local PCT because many of these services will not be provided by the hospital. The hospital is there to treat, the PCT to look after the patient away from the hospital. You need to talk to the Commissioner of services. Let me know if you get stuck...
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    what kinds of things do they offer the patient so that they can stay at home longer ? surely palliative care means the whole package of caring not just the pain side....or am I wrong ?

it depends on what facilities are available, i think. the hospice i've had experience with is amazing. they do the whole medical thing (and do it well) either as an inpatient, or in your own home with night nurses/nurse visits. they offer counselling services for the patient and for any family member who needs it and they have a day hospice. where either inpatients or day patients can get together, have a chat and a cup of tea, do art therapy sessions and things like that.

i think it's very much pot luck whether you live in an area which has these kinds of facitilies though. my grandad didn't have anything of the kind - they had to pay for their own private nurses to visit cause the care was so bad.