Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Supermarkets jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am doing an a apprentaship and am getting a training allowance of just £40
i need a weekend job and i don't care where but would like to be indoors mayby one of the big supermarkets.

do u guys know where supermarkets advertise their jobs? or do you have to
go in and ask the managers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Send a CV to your local supermarkets with a letter saying you're looking for a job.

If you want the name of who to write it to, go to the supermarkets customer service desk and they should be able to tell you.

Even if they don't have any jobs going, they will be able to keep you on their records for when a job comes up.

I'm assuming they'd advertise in the jobcentre and places like that. I got my job at Tesco by sending my CV in, and they sent me back an application form.

Good luck.
    the supermarkets that near me don't have customer service desk unless where you sell the cigis is it.

In my cover letter do i need to make it clear that i can only work weekends
    or does that not matter
    + it would normally be the manager who is in charge that i would have to address it to wouln't it.
    Every supermarket needs a customer service desk!

No, I wouldn't suggest saying you can only do weekends, you'd only need to state that in an application form under the section where they ask what hours you can work.

I can't remember which member of staff it'd be addressing to, some they ask for it to be addressed to the manager, others have people there especially to deal with letters such as yours. The best thing would be to ask. Though really it wouldn't matter if you just addressed it to the supermarket, I'm sure it'd make its way to the relevant person.
    Most supermarkets advetise their jobs on a board at either the front of the store or by their customer service desk. If not then go i and ask at the desk for an application form. Or just send your cv and adress it to the personnel department. or try the jobcentre, thats how i got mine.
    Most have something to offer you, especially at weekends as they are busy.

i advise you NOT to work for sainsburys, i do, and its fucking wank.
    Most supermarkets advetise their jobs on a board at either the front of the store or by their customer service desk. If not then go i and ask at the desk for an application form. Or just send your cv and adress it to the personnel department. or try the jobcentre, thats how i got mine.
    Most have something to offer you, especially at weekends as they are busy.

i advise you NOT to work for sainsburys, i do, and its fucking wank.

i agree. i also work for sainsburys, its shit.
    adress your envelope to either the customer sevices manager or human resources or personnel

u might be better off with a bar job tho
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Tesco's was shite. Don't work for them.

McDonalds was a far better weekend job when I was younger. Had a good time working for them. Far more flexible aswell.
    Weekender Offender 
    well a lot of jobs are shite but a jobs a job and experience is good
    i am gona phone all my local ones and just ask who to address it to.

any1 know what it like to be a station assistant i travel to work every day
    on the underground and i see them and think they must have
    a more eventful day then (sitting behind a desk) me. its something i am thinking about next year.
    Good luck. :)
    Its easy money, but its bloody boring stuff.
    I enjoyed working for Tesco, the staff seemed to be treated well there. far better than what I've heard about places like Burger King, but that's horses for courses really.

Ask at the CSD and ask them for a job application form.
    Dont Ever Work For Somerfields

SUPERMARKET JOBS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO WORK MORE!!! YES MORE THAN JUST WEEKENDS!

Please please please read your contract carefully, stocktake is in your contract (always in supermarket jobs) i was told the other day that i HAD to do stocktake on monday when at college, my course requires 100% attendance.

I have been bullied

undermined

treated so badly i am ready to take things further with a union rep and take legal action.

SO motto of this thread somerfileds are scum and boycott the thieving/harrassing/bullying scum!

Ah thats better :D
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    SUPERMARKET JOBS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO WORK MORE!!! YES MORE THAN JUST WEEKENDS!

Please please please read your contract carefully, stocktake is in your contract (always in supermarket jobs) i was told the other day that i HAD to do stocktake on monday when at college, my course requires 100% attendance.

I have been bullied

undermined

treated so badly i am ready to take things further with a union rep and take legal action.

SO motto of this thread somerfileds are scum and boycott the thieving/harrassing/bullying scum!

Ah thats better :D

You cannot say all supermarkets are like that.

I work 1 day a week (sunday) and am not required to go in during the week.

Well, if you would work for Somerfields. :razz: ;)
    i think you will find that in all shop work you will be expected as a clause in your contract to work stocktake, although mine used to be on a fri/sat it changed to a college day when i complained they told me that it was a part of my contractual agreement.

most supermarkets will expect their staff to do a certain amount of overtime especially stocktake and many are unable to protect their staff from rude abusive customers, or at least that is generally what i have been told from others who work for many chain supermarkets tesco, sainsburys, asda and co-op to name a few! although it does vary across the country company policies need a LOT of working on to protect their staff from going off sick with stress!
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    i think you will find that in all shop work you will be expected as a clause in your contract to work stocktake!

does that not just count for if you work on the shop floor?
    i think that you are more likely to find work while you are doing something now
    your doing an apprenticship and it looks good on your cv so you might as
    look now
    I think Devil will find that she's talking out of her arse.
    Kermit wrote:
    I enjoyed working for Tesco, the staff seemed to be treated well there.
    I've heard quite a bit of favourable news regarding the way Tesco looks after its staff. I wouldn't know personally as I don't work there and the nearest is about an hour away from me.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think Devil will find that she's talking out of her arse.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! I would assume that the only hours you are requested to work are your contracted ones.

Unless you were talking about me? :p
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I've heard quite a bit of favourable news regarding the way Tesco looks after its staff. I wouldn't know personally as I don't work there and the nearest is about an hour away from me.

From experience, I've been treated well by Tesco. Okay, so I don't agree with all of their policies and some of my managers well, pffrt. But the pay's good and the work isn't exactly difficult! It really does depend which store you work for and the other people who work there. But on the whole, Tesco do look after their staff (or try to!).
    Tesco are a good employer, in their field at least. I enjoyed working for them, I was always treated well, although maybe it'd be better if they didn't put monkeys in suits and call them "managers".

You will find that you are only obliged to work your contracted hours. In many cases your contract will not specify days but purely the number of hours you are expected to work, but you are not required to work beyond this. If stock-taking is part of your contracted role then you will be expected to stock-take, but if you are just a till monkey or shelf stacker then stock-taking is not likely to be part of your role.
    Dont work for Morrisons!
    roughly how much do supermarket staff get if they are working 35 hour a week im talking about shelf filler or the checkout staff
    gladiator wrote:
    roughly how much do supermarket staff get if they are working 35 hour a week im talking about shelf filler or the checkout staff

depends how much you get an hour and how old you are/how long you've been working there and whether it's days or nights you're working.
    gladiator wrote:

Round about £600 a month after tax is what most full timers get who i work with, You have to remember though they don't pay you for your breaks and if you work a 9 hour shift at tesco you get an hour and half break which is automatically taken off. Stupid i know.
    beans wrote:
    if you work a 9 hour shift at tesco you get an hour and half break which is automatically taken off. Stupid i know.

but you can choose to only have 45 minutes/1hour/1hr 15. i don't think that with working 9+ hours that you can have any less than 45 mins.
    I worked for Sainsburys.

Please for god sake dont anybody else. omfg what an horrendous company. im not even going to start going into this unless anybody wants to hear every bad thing i can think of to say about them.

Generally though- if you do fuck all except act like a slapper and do piss all work for fear of breaking a nail during your 12 hours a week checkout job- you'll be fine.

oh and for a 9 hour shift you get an hour lunch unpaid and 30mins break PAID.
    Checkouts used to be a different pay scale to shelf stacking. It was higher because it was customer related and its £5.18 for 18+.
    what is so wrong with working for Sainsburys ( they make great ads)

i am planing on doing a apprenticiship in retail, i am gona contact all the
    big supermarkets in my area and ask if i can do the qualification with them
    i'm sure one will say yes when they relise they are geting me 4 free
    4 days a week
    I work part time at M&S simply food and they are okay..They sound better than Sainsbury's.

Waitrose sound the best, know some ppl who work there and it sounds pretty good. Might try and move there myself.
    Yassar2005 wrote:
    i am doing an a apprentaship and am getting a training allowance of just £40
    i need a weekend job and i don't care where but would like to be indoors mayby one of the big supermarkets.

do u guys know where supermarkets advertise their jobs? or do you have to
    go in and ask the managers

I found my job (at the Co-Op supermarket), by looking at the jobs vacancy poster in the window. If theres nothing there try either asking the manager or your local job centre.
    How old are you?

If you have a Lidl near you, I'd suggest trying there. Just the same as any major supermarket job, on a smaller scale with a higher starting wage (£5.50-6 p/h). Not a bad job at all, really.