Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Speeding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello all,
I finished work at 10:30pm and i doing my normal 1 hour journey home. I was over taking a couple of cars legally when a vectra pulls out and starts to chase me so i move into the left lane to let him overtake but he does the same and continues to follow me, so i speed up and he is chasing me for 20 miles then he puts his blue flashing lights on (unmarked car) and stops me for speeding (doing 60 in a 30) I'm rather annoyed because i wouldn’t have drove so fast if he hadn’t have been on my backside in the first place. Anyway i was clearly speeding and i admit that but how many points do you think I’ll get? let me give you a few facts:

19 male,
been driving 1 year and 6 months,
no points
never been in trouble with the police.

how many points or fine do you think i'll get?
i'd like to add it's bloody unfair how i was enticed into this however i did commit an offence.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speeding is speeding, no matter how you try and mitigate yourself. You're going down.
    If you are caught speeding in a 30mph zone the police appear to come down a lot heavier than they would if you were caught in a national speed limit road. I'm guessing 6 points on your licence and a £100 fine.

Edit : You say you been driving less than 2 years as well. If you get 6 points on your licence during that time I think they make you take your driving test again, if you pass you get your driving licence back, but the points remain on it.
    You could always challenge the ruling based on what you have told us, but remember that you will most likely have to do that in court, and then you could - I think - end up with a bigger punishment if it's decided that you are guilty. To be honest I doubt it would help anyway, unless you were genuinley in fear for your life.
    Am I in the right forum? :eek2:
    Mist wrote:
    You could always challenge the ruling based on what you have told us, but remember that you will most likely have to do that in court, and then you could - I think - end up with a bigger punishment if it's decided that you are guilty. To be honest I doubt it would help anyway, unless you were genuinley in fear for your life.

Don't most of these traffic cars contain video cameras? If so, you will be able to see how close the car behind you was. It should also provide evidence on the officers driving behaviour - if he was out of order the tape could be used against him.

I do however agree that taking it to court could pose a risk. It really does depend on how much he was hounding you.
    In order for them to prove that he was speeding they would need to have camera footage, yes, methinks.

However, if he goes on the defence that he was being hounded, then the camera shows that there was a reasonable distance, the defence is fooked and he's landed with a good hefty fine.

And it can be easy for a new driver to be intimidated when there is no such intimidation there.