Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO: Aladdin

Here's what you said recently about the effects of the European Constitution on Britain:
One thing is having reasonable doubts about the implications of the Constitution or even the euro, and another is to start parroting the europhobic bullshit the right wing tabloids come up with (i.e. talk of dictatorship, Britain "being ruled" by Europe and all the assorted bullshit).

That is not what would happen, whether you'd like it or not.
So, would you mind telling us what WILL happen?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Er... Britain might or might not join the euro and sign up the Constitution. In the case it does, it will part of a single currency market just like most other European nations are now.

It will continue to be a sovereign nation and it will NOT be ruled by "Europe", just as France, Germany et al will not be ruled by "Europe" and will continue to be sovereign nations.

Those are the undeniable facts and I'm not prepared to waste my breath on anyone who claims the opposite and subscribes to the racist xenophobic europhobic rantings of the Express, HateMail and S*n.

As long as we agree on that, we can then discuss economic and political implications of joining the euro and signing up to the Constitution. I believe the former will ultimately be beneficial to Britain, and I believe the latter will make not one iota of difference on anything.
    Personally, I don't subscribe to any of the stuff written in the tabloids about it. They're right to express doubts on the EU, but they do exaggerate to an astonishing degree. I think one reason they do this is because Britain, to them, isn't necessarily "at the heart of Europe". Difficult to be when you've 25 countries to administer to!
    lukesh wrote:
    aladdin being anti euro and eu constituion isn't racist blah blah

please explain if that should make sense at all?
    And?
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not prepared to waste my breath on anyone who claims the opposite .

key words luke
    Anyone who displays such breathtaking level of ignorance as to suggest Britain's sovereign history is "about to end", that "Brussels will rule Britain", that Britain "is being swamped by Eastern European scroungers" is either europhobic/xenophobic/racist (delete as appropriate) or terminally stupid, yes.

As I said, I don't mind reasoned debate about economic or political implications of the EU Constitution or the euro. I don't have any time for cries of "Britain will lose its sovereignty and throw away 1,000 years of history" if Britain joins the euro or signs up to the Constitution.

Can't you tell the difference between reasonable debate and scaremongering rubbish such as the above claims?
    lukesh wrote:
    well it is their right to utt;y cponvince us... i bet the likes of the mirror and the guardian make shit up to make us think europe is a gold pot.

thats not the point, if you have the facts at hand and deliberately deny themn or spin them to fit an agenda then you're a fool for doing it and a biggger one for listening
    YOu cannot deny that some form of sovereignity has already been lost to the EU and will continue to be lost with the COnstitution.

Its blatantly obvious.
    YOu cannot deny that some form of sovereignity has already been lost to the EU and will continue to be lost with the COnstitution.

Its blatantly obvious.

will life be any different? i can think of a thousand things in my life that matter more than this, is it really that big a deal?
    A rather insignificant part though.

It will never get anywhere near the "losing our sovereignty" or "throwing away 1,000 of British history" garbage frequently found in 48pt fonts on the front pages of the HateMail and S*n.

Do you think the French, to name but one proud European nation with hundreds if not thousands of years of sovereign history, would be prepared to "sign away" their sovereignty? Why is it that this is the only country in the EU where such profoundly absurd claims can be heard in such scale? Is it because Britons are clever and the rest of European citizens are stupid and giving away their heritage and sovereignty without realising it?

Or could be that the rest of Europe sees the EU for what it is, and it is Britain (or parts of it to be precise) that is deluded and paranoid?
    It's not that bad Luke... it really isn't that bad.
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's not that bad Luke... it really isn't that bad.

i know, i dont really get it, i'm currently more angry with the way our own government is ruling us than europe, luke, the average person, me and you, will always be under some form of control, whether it's from whitehall or brussels, we'll not always be happy but the best thing to do is adapt cos things are running quite well at the mo, don't you think?
    lukesh wrote:
    and again, what is the point of brussels controling us?

whats the point in whitehall controlling us?
    lukesh wrote:
    we need control, we don't need control over control over control over control. wesminister ONLY. now answer the question....... why should brussels rule us?

EU co-operation is essential for business, tourism, trade, alot of services here are paid partly by money donated from other countries, alot of jobs are dependant on the EU here, we help each other out, isolation is not a good thing, no matter how patriotic you are luke it doesn't work

now how can sole westminster contorl be better than a mixture of both, please tell me?
    lukesh wrote:
    mixture of both? we can't even implement our own asylum policy with out the eu telling us it is illgeal.

again luke gets put in a corner he can't get out and resorts to posting innane drivel like this, who's asylum policy, ours or the tories, you don't get it at all, everything to you is about destroying english culture and race, the EU is a benefit to our society but all you can see is the union jack in your eyes, time to wake up and smell the coffee luke, seriously.
    But an EU wide aslyum policy is more effective then what Howard is proposing and anyway it is a cynical ploy to get voters...
    lukesh wrote:
    it is a benefit to a certain extent. the only wayt to stop the eu interfearing is the tories who will jpoin the eu for trade and laws if appropriate and not sign for the sake of it.

remember luke, the uk also makes up part of the EU, whats good for the EU is good for us.
    Also another point the EU as a whole has more weight then Little Britain on the world stage.

I know you are an Americphile but you need to relise that American foriegn policy only benefits America. The EU at least would have the interests of all members when it comes to making an decision.

We have already ceded power to the EU when it comes to trade negiotations, which is a good thing because the UK on the world stage cannot compete with economy of America, the EU can.
    peter mandleson is the EU trade minister, one of the more powerful and influential jobs in the world
    lukesh wrote:
    if the public like it, then it should be implemented.

Yeah but does the public know the facts or are they allowing prejudice and fear to rule their decisions??
    Lukesh's line is completely inconsistent all the way through this thread. For example, right at the start, he says it isn't racist to question the direction the EU is going in. Yet, neither I nor Aladdin had made any such claim. Questioning the EU isn't racist, far from it. It's very wise to ask questions, that seems to be the only way to find information about a subject on which there are countless misunderstandings and false concepts.

It's all the more amazing as when I started using these threads, I believed Aladdin was a moronic leftie. Yet his views actually make sense, which is more than I can say for the inconsistent Lukesh.
    lukesh wrote:
    well what can I say? :D

you're a bit of a gullable fool aren't ya, you culd be such a left winger if you wanted to, you just started readin the sun, ah well you win some ya lose some next please who are ya, walk on no time at all for ya!!!!!! who's mad not u anyway.