Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

tolerance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this word which is thrown around so often about how we should be tolerant towards other people, tolerance towards gays, other religions/races, we tolerate an awful lot...........one thing we are not tolerant towards is intolerance, in fact we are incredibly intolerant of someone for instance who thinks being gay isn't normal or proper, because it goes against our understanding of social science........but isn't this self-contradictory? should we be so critical of people with these kinds of views, after all you can't prove them wrong so what makes you god? we have seen before how the majority can think one thing and still be utterly wrong, fascist germany in the 30's being one......just a thought. btw i would say im not entirely comfortable with homosexuality but i am tolerant of it, after all doesn't harm me does it.........

my main worry is that when we all think the same and act the same, what makes us different? we'll be a bunch of bloody drones, and if you don't think the same as everyone else there must be something wrong with you...........this is what scares me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    interesting post which i agree with to a large extent.
    it worries me. political correctness fucking freaks me out ...to the point i find myself being as uncorrect as often as i can ...like it's my enemy that needs a kicking.
    tolerance ...interesting word in itself.
    we have become far to tolerant over the years regarding what the governments can tell us what we can and cannot do ...and what the penalties may or may not be.
    to much tolerance leads to apathy, complacency.
    but how does the modern thinking person deal with intolerance ...when is it rightous intolerance and when bigotted?
    that's the thing, our society is so happy to be led unquestioningly (is that a word?) that we even let our thoughts be dictated to us, when you can't think for yourself and base your every opinion on the bbc news then you are an idiot (as is anyone who believes the bbc to be 'neutral'), overfed on propaganda and unable to see the truth.......isn't that how it is?
    i actualy see a lot of modern thought and ideas to be the same ...based on nothing more than chance or outright lies ...and if you don't believe ...then your condemed as an idiot ...an idiot who often wears rose tinted specs!

in the sixties for example was a whole new and scientificaly based method of bringing up children ...the author was doctor spock.
    after a few years almost every parent believed ...practised ...didn't dare not in the end!
    even the social services and british law were influenced by this new breakthrough in realism and love ...mostly now discredited and laughed at.
    you can't imagine how ...if the internet had been available and convos like this ...how ridiculed and belittled anyone who dared challenge it would be.
    mans ideas about everything are forever changing ...ebbing and flowing ...pendalums swinging ...
    but of course now ...this is the 21st century ...we are enlightened ...again ...
    oh yeah ...doctor spoc was recently discovered to be a peado ...
    i actualy see a lot of modern thought and ideas to be the same ...based on nothing more than chance or outright lies ...and if you don't believe ...then your condemed as an idiot ...an idiot who often wears rose tinted specs!

in the sixties for example was a whole new and scientificaly based method of bringing up children ...the author was doctor spock.
    after a few years almost every parent believed ...practised ...didn't dare not in the end!
    even the social services and british law were influenced by this new breakthrough in realism and love ...mostly now discredited and laughed at.
    you can't imagine how ...if the internet had been available and convos like this ...how ridiculed and belittled anyone who dared challenge it would be.
    mans ideas about everything are forever changing ...ebbing and flowing ...pendalums swinging ...
    but of course now ...this is the 21st century ...we are enlightened ...again ...

we are officially at the pinacle of freedom and human thought but thris is restricted in so many ways, we follow an estasblished line of thought, i'd rather be a hiuman, fend for myself, be human than some ugly conformist, fuck i hate technology but i need it at the same time, the conflict of interest is almost depresing but my basic human instinct makes me love life, why don't other people see the value of life, you know what i'm on about rolly don't you.
    dunno!
    it's difficult not to at least appreciate life or yes love it ...with the biggest supplies of water energy transport medical technological educational health freedom etc etc we have thats for sure.
    who said we are at the pinnacle?
    does that mean ...we can get no higher and are now about to implode?
    does that mean ...our governments are the most enlightened and beneficial in history?
    what is this pinnacle i fail to see through the mirk?
    dunno!
    it's difficult not to at least appreciate life or yes love it ...with the biggest supplies of water energy transport medical technological educational health freedom etc etc we have thats for sure.
    who said we are at the pinnacle?
    does that mean ...we can get no higher and are now about to implode?
    does that mean ...our governments are the most enlightened and beneficial in history?
    what is this pinnacle i fail to see through the mirk?

society will always say we are at the height of sucess, we are to a degree but sometimes i'd rather be the rare human being, who has to fight for survival, you use you're natural instincts that way but at the same time you are utterly utterlyu dependant on the "shiny trhings" as you call them, i like both worlds but you can't have them seperately, it's one or the other and at the moment i love drugs and drink and comuters so fuck it go mad.,
    turlough wrote:
    it's one or the other and at the moment i love drugs and drink and comuters .,
    i get a fair crack at both of them to be honest.
    i know and appreciate how fortunate i am.
    when there was mass youth unemployment and homlesness under mrs hatchet in the 80's ...loads of young pissed off people became new age travellers ...what a brilliant lifestyle!
    i was to old with responsibilities but i was so tempted ...
    lol i never heard of this spock fellow but theres a case in point........our moral reasoning and established values are shaped by advances in social sciences, which is then reflected in the law, this is how homosexuality came to be accepted.........the fact is a lot of these people philoshophising about this type of stuff are quacks (kinsey for one, who at the time was seen as a revolutionary thinker), yet we accept their findings because they are somehow experts....? an interesting journal was released by the american psychological association (APA - quacks) who have helped to shape public opinion in the past..........anyways, they have recently released a report advocating consensual paedophilia between adults and kids, saying it has potential benefits...........now there was an uproar (prolly like the reaction when we were first told being gay is normal) and they've since said they don't approve of this report, which wasn't personally written by them but by "affiliates" who are allowed to put APA's name on it........but the point is, we put our faith in these morons..........
    apollo_69 wrote:
    ........but the point is, we put our faith in these morons..........
    i have learn't not to over the years.
    what realy disturbs me ...is the lack of interest in the chains that have been rapidly being thrown around us ...how tight and heavy those chains are becoming.
    in my youth ...many if not most science fiction novels pointed to todays world of survielance control and knowledge ...modern people are embracing it as beneficial only ...necessary even.
    we watch like never before ...we know beyond doubt that western governments are lying and killing in our names ...even when we protest in the streets they ignore us and do it anyway ...
    but ...WE HAVE THE INTERNET IN THIS AGE OF FREEDOM!
    meaning we can iscuss it all all night long ...we can slag them off and expose them ...cos we have freedom but ...haven't we been conned?
    hasn't it all been put into our cosy living rooms with our cosy lives ...we can say anything we want ...so what?
    haven't we been lulled?
    controlled ...pacified ...duped and even drugged?
    i've said it before and i'll say it again, the individuals rights will never be the same as the established system's rights, we can yap all we want but it's their way or the highway, it makes all our pub debates ajd street protests futile and it angers me.
    but at what point will people say fuck you to the system? they encroach so gradually on our freedom and at the same time stuff our face with materialistic pleasures, we will go along with it until it's too late.......
    apollo_69 wrote:
    but at what point will people say fuck you to the system? they encroach so gradually on our freedom and at the same time stuff our face with materialistic pleasures, we will go along with it until it's too late.......

the system has too many "benefits" that we are blinfd to the injustices, we'll never see the truth as long as we havbe access to the internet and sky for example, it's just black mail at the end of the day and i admit i've been duped but i can see the light aswell, i'm a messed up guy, shoot me now please.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i fear it's already toool ate.
    did you know ...computer technology for the home market is totaly saturated ...there are fewer real upgradres available.
    there is only so much the general popu;ation can do ...only so much we actualy need or want from our pc's.
    but the technology that has realy made huge advances is ...survielance ...identification ...iris voice and face recognition etc ...the home user has little or no use for this stuff. the average business user doesn't either.
    but it has to be sold. it has to be kept going ...
    we have already become victims and possibly even slaves to our technology because ...it has to be kept going and when all the advances are of no use to the people ...someone has to buy it ...or it collapses.
    i fear it's already toool ate.
    did you know ...computer technology for the home market is totaly saturated ...there are fewer real upgradres available.
    there is only so much the general popu;ation can do ...only so much we actualy need or want from our pc's.
    but the technology that has realy made huge advances is ...survielance ...identification ...iris voice and face recognition etc ...the home user has little or no use for this stuff. the average business user doesn't either.
    but it has to be sold. it has to be kept going ...
    we have already become victims and possibly even slaves to our technology because ...it has to be kept going and when all the advances are of no use to the people ...someone has to buy it ...or it collapses.

do we need it though, it becomes necessary because we are told it's necessary, i'm sure we could live oiur lives perfectly normal without half the shit we "need" these days.
    turlough wrote:
    do we need it though, it becomes necessary because we are told it's necessary, i'm sure we could live oiur lives perfectly normal without half the shit we "need" these days.
    of course we could.
    but ...it realy does get troublesome when we have got just about everything we want any longer from our pc technology.
    of course we could.
    but ...it realy does get troublesome when we have got just about everything we want any longer from our pc technology.

of course,i want to think like the normal human, i want to fend for myself but the temptation of the shing things just leads me astray, it makes me angry
    the only thing you need to be happy is to love and be loved...........but that is about the last thing they want you to know, instead we think money is necessary to enjoy our lives.......the happiest people are usually the poorest ones....so we don't need any of this crap, if anything it makes our lives more empty........but thats not the popular conception so most ppl can't see it....
    apollo_69 wrote:
    the only thing you need to be happy is to love and be loved...........but that is about the last thing they want you to know, instead we think money is necessary to enjoy our lives.......the happiest people are usually the poorest ones.... ....
    says a lot.
    education and materialism ...endless comfort and plenty and warmth ...
    the latest gizmo ...look at the ammount of unhappy uncertain and downright depressed people in this place alone ...
    i make a point of going into the world and lighting a fire ...killing a rabbit ...having some sacred herbs ...sleeping with the earth and her breath ...soul building stuff.
    says a lot.
    education and materialism ...endless comfort and plenty and warmth ...
    the latest gizmo ...look at the ammount of unhappy uncertain and downright depressed people in this place alone ...
    i make a point of going into the world and lighting a fire ...killing a rabbit ...having some sacred herbs ...sleeping with the earth and her breath ...soul building stuff.

know exactly what ya mean, we've been too corrupted in the human soul, being a robot seems more desirable these days, "lets all conform", fuck off ya's wanks.