Home Health & Wellbeing
Need support urgently? Head to this thread.

My knees are going!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Occasionally, I have problems with my knees. Today, for example, I was trying to sit down on a bus and I suddenly got a very severe pain in both of my knees. I also having problems when I crouch for long periods of time, whereby my knees become very stiff and click when I try to stand upright.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what they think is wrong and what I can do to make it better? I'm only 18 and I play rugby and golf very often, so I don't think it's a fitness thing.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to get a docter/physio to take a look at them. In the meantime I would recomend GENTLE stretching, and taking cod liver oil capsuls with breakfast every morning to build up levels of synovial fluid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Talking of knees, I recently sprained/partially tore my knee ligaments. My GP says that I should just rest it and that no other treatment is available on the NHS. As I take part in many different activities (requiring me to be able to bend my knees) I wanted to know if this is true? Can't I have some physio, or wil this make no difference?
    I've been laid up for 5 weeks now and my plans for the hols runied:(
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Alistair
    You need to get a docter/physio to take a look at them. In the meantime I would recomend GENTLE stretching, and taking cod liver oil capsuls with breakfast every morning to build up levels of synovial fluid.


    Cod liver oil??? But that tastes funny!!! :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well get the capsules then you big mary:D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The newer capsuls bearly taste of anything even if they break, and you swallow them whole anyway. Down one with water, eat some food and you'll have no problems at all.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos
    Talking of knees, I recently sprained/partially tore my knee ligaments. My GP says that I should just rest it and that no other treatment is available on the NHS. As I take part in many different activities (requiring me to be able to bend my knees) I wanted to know if this is true? Can't I have some physio, or wil this make no difference?
    Depending on what damage has occured Physio and active rehabilitation can increase recovery rate. HOWEVER, I am an not qualified to make those decisions and I haven't seen your injury either. Do you do any sports at a high enough level that your coach would have links with a physio?
    If not, snow and rock (a mountain sports superstore I practically live in :D) has a physio department upsatirs. I haven't used the place, but it looks good. Aparantly some stuff there can also be paid for by the NHS, so there's no harm in trying.

    Where abouts in london do you live? What sort of activities do you need your knees for?

    If you want to know more about Snow and Rock PM me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I ****ed my knees up badly with too much running. I saw a physio for acupuncture which helped.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Two of my mates have got problems with there knees. One of them has had it for quite a while now, a few years, she went to the doctors but he said that he couldnt do anything for her, but I think she had some physio in the end Im not really sure? Another friend of mine has also recently been having pains in her knees and needs a hand getting up when shes been crouched down, apparently its cos shes been standing up for such along time every day at work and its put added strain on to her knees. If its that bad then you should see a doctor and see whether they can help.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos
    Talking of knees, I recently sprained/partially tore my knee ligaments. My GP says that I should just rest it and that no other treatment is available on the NHS. As I take part in many different activities (requiring me to be able to bend my knees) I wanted to know if this is true? Can't I have some physio, or wil this make no difference?
    I've been laid up for 5 weeks now and my plans for the hols runied:(
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

    I have knee problems as well. After going to the doctor and hearing the regular "rest, and it should be ok" reply, which didn't help. I went to a physio-therapist. He found out exactly what was wrong and has give me some excersizes. If these excersizes won't help in the matter of around 3 months, then I will probably be due for an operation :eek:
    It's not serious at all, but he just said that it would be a shame to get worse knee problems which I would if I hadn't dealt with this.
    Getting a second opinion, from a phyio-therapist can't do harm.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    I think there's a Snow and Rock in west london (i live on the other side), so i'll look up the number and give them a ring.
    Basically I need my knees to be in good nick for all the different sports i take part in and to be able to play drums.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the physio department is only at their convent garden superstore. It's very well hidden despite being so close to convent garden tube station, and people only tend to go there after being told/shown it by a friend. Which makes it great as it's not full of idiot tourists wandering round getting in the way and being stupid :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My advice is to listen to a physio.

    I have bad knees following several years of playing football (I was a winger, and spent alot of time dribbling, twisting and turning)...Unfortunately my knees now won't allow anything more than a gentle kick about, I can't ride a bike and stairs sometimes hurt like fuck.

    It turns out that I also have flat feet which has meant that my leg muscles have developed badly. My gym had never picked it up (no surprise there) and so I had to change the way I trained. I have a little more movement now...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    My advice is to listen to a physio.

    I have bad knees following several years of playing football (I was a winger, and spent alot of time dribbling, twisting and turning)...Unfortunately my knees now won't allow anything more than a gentle kick about, I can't ride a bike and stairs sometimes hurt like fuck.

    It turns out that I also have flat feet which has meant that my leg muscles have developed badly. My gym had never picked it up (no surprise there) and so I had to change the way I trained. I have a little more movement now...

    Shit. I have very flat feet as well. Do you think that contributes to the bad knees, or just general fitness of the leg?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by squat_tom


    Shit. I have very flat feet as well. Do you think that contributes to the bad knees, or just general fitness of the leg?

    Yes it does contribute... As it is the whole foundation of the leg. Have the same problem, and the physio-therapist explained it to me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to the gym and in the evening and ever since if I walk properly my right knee locks and cracks, shuld get better with rest shouldn't it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This thread is REALLY OLD. As is generally said

    Dude. Thread. Dead

    Go to the doctor.
Sign In or Register to comment.