Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Aleister Crowley..........

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone read the Diary of a dope fiend? its a classic in drugs literature but was was torn apart by Crowleys detracters in the Beaverbrook media empire as being " a justification of drug addiction "

The outrage of this book at the time was due to the passing of the dangerous drug act.

In the year 05, the creationists and the followers of the twelve steps, still need to get their act together and put more suitable effect strategies into place, like the Harm Reduction philosophy.

My learned cyber friends, what was the unique look at the processes of addiction and recovery in DOADF? and has anyone got any comments?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe cos i'm tired but ...whaaa?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    John, perhaps you would like to share with us what your perceptions of the book are, to open this up for discussion?
    aint you got any usefull comments to make, instead huh?
    my most vivid memory of the book is sewing one pound bags of heroin into some ones dressing gown and some dodgy tory politician pushing for cocain to be outlawed while he sets up a processing plant on the continent ...
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    lol, I haven't read the book, John.

I asked you to comment on the issues from it because it is likely that there will be posters who haven't read it.

You do come across in your posts as being rather aggressive, you could put people off having a discussion.
    :) Hullo Jade,

well, he was more than a simple hedonistic pleasure seeker and dedicated occultist, wasn't he just? and in some ways he can be compared to the biblical figure of Moses.

How much was he personally responsible for todays liberal society? Who knows?

Disease? gentetic? Nooooooooooooo! Social learnt!

With regards to the Tweleve steps, they have the biggest fallout rate from therapy!

ps, i thought there was intelectuals on this site? ppps, the comment was for M.R not you :blush:

regards, Bon Week-end, :wave: john.
    i'm realy not sure what your after here ...you agressive hippy you.
    :rolleyes: Now look and see what you've started Jade! Women huh?

BTW; i'm a soft cuddly puppy........Honest! ;)

>>>Moderatrix<<<< ~ Lol, we'll have to club together and get you a valentines prezzie.....yup, a blinfold whip and thigh length boots :razz:

Bon Week-end everyone! john :)
    I don't see how he was responsible for a liberal society, however perhaps if some of his views were taken more seriously then he could be an inspirational influence.

Sadly, he was one of the first media 'witch-hunts' (no pun intended) and got a lot of bad press... BUt hey, what can you expect if you call yourself 'the beast'?
    there once was a boy called alistair crowley
    evil man with no eyes to see
    bled from his mouth to toe
    here he is look at him go
    take pills like a madman
    inside a camper van
    jaw swings like a fucker
    lovin it like a sucker
    one more time here we go
    alistair crowley loves da blow.
    Only thing ive read by Crowley is the poem `Leah Sublime` which was a bit disturbing. :eek: