Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pirate Radio

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
DOes anyone listen to pirate radio stations. My ex used to run one in one of his flats until he got busted it was great.

Does anyone know any good ones and what sort of music do they play?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was just watching a doco on pirate radio at breakbeat.co.uk. pretty interesting.
    http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/pirateradio-documentary.html

theres also regular updates on stations here http://www.fused.com/pirate/fs.htm
    take it oyur into them then do you dj or mc?
    no, i just listen.
    a few years ago i used to hang out at a pirate radio station where some djs i knew played. they used to keep moving location all the time so they didn't get busted, lol
    he never moved location (my ex) i loved going up there when they were on it though it was good fun
    A mate of mine runs a pirate radio station. It's called CoolFM. He's got a web site but I can't remember the address. As soon as I remember it I'll post it.
    Most of the pirate stations I know play the music Im into, my exs played stuff like donnell jones say what months b4 it came out and a lot of the other stuff he played is coming out in the charts now.
    I know they are illegal but i dont see why they are so hard on them when they catch them, my ex had a lot of equipment confiscated and a big fine to pay, but the station was extremely popular in the area and hundreds of people would listen everynight and ring in for requests and shout outs, a lot of people were gutted when it was shut down because it was a great station.
    I dont know of n e pirate stations, but i do know a very kool station, VIBE FM, which broadcasts across the east of england on 105-108FM, or u can check out there website at www.vibefm.co.uk Ive made visits to the station a few times, i want to be a radio presenter when i finish school/college (im in yr 11). I remember one pirate station, my mates used to talk about it, it was called wiggle FM, but i dont hear of it much now, so i guess the people that ran it got busted (DOH!) If its such a good radio station that ur ex did then they should have claimed for a licence, i know it costs a bit, but they could have got sponsorship and all that.

Keep the Vibe!
    fm pirate in sacramento

there was a fm pirate here in sacramento that was on the air
    for about 8-9 months. it just got shut down by the fcc last week.
    i could hear it from work and enjoyed the programming these last
    couple of months.

here is a link with some more info:

http://www.piratenationradio.org/knoz.html

:)
    I used to DJ on a pirate station about six years ago, it was great fun. Total anarchy, me and a mate playing old school funk and hip-hop and bouncing off the walls trying to get a reaction from the listeners.

You could do almost anything you wanted. I used to play clips from comedy albums over breakbeats, another DJ I knew used to mix Dub Reggae with poetry and Middle Eastern singers.

I think online radio is the way forward now. Why broadcast to half your town when you can go global.
    This topic is over 4 years old. :shocking:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks for the old topic, and the spam.
    oo oo can I say it?!

Dude. Thread/Post. Dead.
This discussion has been closed.