Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

should uk form a basic written constitution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
at the moment, our 'rights' are determined by public opinion and the commons, as charles clarke bringing in house arrests shows

should we have a basic charter or something that gurantees us the rights which can only be changed by virtually unanimous decision and has to be backed by the judicary?

moreso, what would you include?

id include - but not saying explicit details of how itd be fair

the burden of proof is on the prosecutions side, not the defendants
(innocent til proven guilty)
suspects remain anonymous unless evading the law
right to vote
elections forced every 5 years at most
can do what you want to yourself as long as its consensual
right to a education up to 18, forced up to 14, but only if something useful is being done in meantime, like training for a career or something

Comments

• Options
    Not really worth the bother if you ask me, we have the EU bill of human rights, thats nice, and as an international treaty it would be a git to get out of.

Plus our's is sort of built up out of case law anyway, oh and we have the Magna Carta in to the bargin.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Not really worth the bother if you ask me, we have the EU bill of human rights, thats nice, and as an international treaty it would be a git to get out of.

Plus our's is sort of built up out of case law anyway, oh and we have the Magna Carta in to the bargin.

yeh true, yet the government seems to completly get around them since they are effectively acts of parliament so can be redone with a 51% majority

as much i dislike the current usa, their bill of rights and how hard it is to change their constitution is admirable....
  • Options

as much i dislike the current usa, their bill of rights and how hard it is to change their constitution is admirable....

But is it always so good to have such a rigid constitution like USA? I mean, it basically gives the NRA the ammunition they need (excuse the pun) to continue for the right to bear arms.

I think the uncodefied constitution we have is better in that it's more free flowing and relevent to a changing society without having to rely on a such a small institution as the Supreme Court who have proven themselves to be indecisive and wrong on a number of issues.
  • Options
    i don't see how it makes a difference, the usa's constitution is eroding away thanks to nth amendments and isn't gonna protect the americans when the time comes........
  • Options
    But is it always so good to have such a rigid constitution like USA? I mean, it basically gives the NRA the ammunition they need (excuse the pun) to continue for the right to bear arms.

I think the uncodefied constitution we have is better in that it's more free flowing and relevent to a changing society without having to rely on a such a small institution as the Supreme Court who have proven themselves to be indecisive and wrong on a number of issues.

there are however some thing that should never change, the right to bear arms to go against your government one werent something that should of been in the american constitution, it should of just been a regular bill/act/law as attitudes like that change with time....

the right to a fair trial, doesnt change however.....
  • Options
    can do what you want to yourself as long as its consensual

Is this one for those suffering from Schizophrenia?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Is this one for those suffering from Schizophrenia?

informed consent deary :p