Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not sure what to do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Btec in music technology or performance
or
A levels
English
History
Music or something else
Maths

Would I have more options with the A levels

More than likely Ill be doing a BA in commercial music

http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses-2005-2006/
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    it would be better if you did a-levels, it gives you much more choice.if u only did a btec in music, then you wouldnt really have the ability to do anything else.if you did a-levels in music then you wouldnt be missing out!! if this makes sense!!
  • Options
    If you're not sure, go for a range, that a-levels would give you. Also do what you enjoy.
  • Options
    go with the a-levels.
  • Options
    get a job at macdonalds and fuck education off
    .matt
  • Options
    go for the A levels.
  • Options
    Its a very tough decision; consdiering you in your a level selection you say 'music or something else' I would go for the A-levels- because if you're not 100% that you have a future based solely on music then you should do a wide range.

I'm sure comercial music would look favourably upon skills in other areas- espeically English; is media studies an option for you? As this sounds like a subject which may be linked too?

Best of luck
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would do the A Levels. The way I see it is that the Btec is vocational and if you decide 10 years down the line you are fed up, or don't want to do it anymore then that is all you are qualified in.

If you do the A Levels you can do something like the Btec afterwards and if you decide 10 years down the line you don't like what you are doing you have the A Levels to fall back on to go to uni or whatever.

Yes, that is my opinion.
  • Options
    If your heart is really set on studying commercial music, take the BTEC qualification. It will allow you to concentrate specifically on what you want to do and will be more vocationally orientated than the A levels.

But, if you are not sure about what you really do want to do at university, or with your life, - go with the a levels because it will give you a much broader range of study with which to choose what you want to do later.
  • Options
    do what you want to do, don't listen to us, although A-levels seem desirable it's not what everyone wants and i've seen people drop out even in 7th year because it wasn't for them, then again don't be doing the btec or whatever you call it just because i'm saying this.