Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

really, why are drugs illegal?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by g_angel007
    Nooooooooo Rolly, I think you got my meaning wrong...

I meant even though he is taking prescribed substances, about which he could say "I take so and so, hence I know what I'm talking about here" which are NOT the subject under discussion - illegal drugs.

The effects of these illegal drugs he has no idea about, taking his "people getting into fights" etc etc etc comments which is what I was meaning about he cannot relate his experience of prescribed substances.

Groovy?

G.
    let you off then ...my lager vision was switched on at the time.
    Not sure what the answer is but the most cynical one is usually right so,

I guess there's too many drug funded elements in government to want to legalise it.
    jago25_98 wrote:
    Not sure what the answer is but the most cynical one is usually right so,

I guess there's too many drug funded elements in government to want to legalise it.
    and up to ten billion quid a year being spent in the uk annualy. in cash ...taxfree billions circulating ...maybe we should campaign to to keep thenm illegal ...we don't want the government getting their hands on that kind of money ...from every nighborhood in town!
    thats a phenominal ammount of mony ...compare it with large companies inthe uk.
    g_angel007 wrote:
    I have to say that unfortunately what [Stargalaxy] has posted is the view of somebody who has no idea of what he's talking about. Everybody has an opinion - I would usually base an opinion on either fact or experience, none of which are in evidence [in your case]... All too common in this age of tabloid doom mongering and Governmental misinformation. I understand that you are currently on certain prescribed substances fr depression which is fair enough, but you cannot relate this to what is actually under discussion now.
    Another personal attack on me that I will not respond to.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    She's not wrong though.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    it's called banter ...theres no possible way to 9nterpret that as an attack on you.
    the fun with discussion is it gets heated ... this thread isn't even warm yet SG.
    Stargalaxy, it's all a bit of craic, don't take this place so serious, you wouldn't think you were 20, go on like a 12year old on here sometimes.
    SG ..your dirty laundry is showing at the moment ...remember being alone as a kid ...this is called conversation ...seriously mate ...your social skills ...
    I admit that me posting on this thread originally was not a good idea in hindsight. However, as to the answer why are drugs illegal, I can only assume that's because of the law as it stands. I'm in favour of legalising drugs, but not comfortable with the prospect of going arond the streets having to deal with stoned cannabis users or people on E.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    but not comfortable with the prospect of going arond the streets having to deal with stoned cannabis users or people on E.

well you've either a) never seen anyone on cannabis or e b)never seen anyone on alcohol or c)both of the above, i pick c, people on cannabis and e to a degree don't fight, e is the love drug, cannabis makes you stoned and happy, people who drink at the weekend come out on the streets and are only lookin fights usually, i'd far rather live in a city where people staggered out of the pub on cannabis or e than alchos, any day of the week. i'm not being a cynical bastard, or a patronising one when i say this, i'm just saying us, drug users know what the craic is, you obviously don't and i'd advise you do get some drug education before you "challenge" us.
    turlough wrote:
    i'm not being a cynical bastard, or a patronising one when i say this, i'm just saying us, drug users know what the craic is, you obviously don't and i'd advise you do get some drug education before you "challenge" us.
    Again, my perfectly reasonable point has been distorted deliberately to fit in with your legalisation agenda. If you must know, I have seen several people on cannabis, though I confess I've not seen anyone on ecstasy. My point is that I want to be able to walk around the streets without people on drugs suddenly deciding to come up to me offering me joints or pills. But of course this point is ignored when it comes to a patronising and snobbish liberal intelligensia of which you are a part of.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Again, my perfectly reasonable point has been distorted deliberately to fit in with your legalisation agenda. If you must know, I have seen several people on cannabis, though I confess I've not seen anyone on ecstasy. My point is that I want to be able to walk around the streets without people on drugs suddenly deciding to come up to me offering me joints or pills. But of course this point is ignored when it comes to a patronising and snobbish liberal intelligensia of which you are a part of.

when you walk out of a pub, do people comin out of pubs and run up with pints and say "drink this", why do you think it's going to be any different with cannabis or ecstacy, alcohol is a drug, believe it or not, lets forget this whole issue of legality, lets look at the context, drugs, yes they all give you a different buzz, alcohol makes you lose your inhibitions, you'll talk shit, get rowdy, yes i don't mind it myself sometimes, cannabis, it's hard to describe but stoned is a good word, e's, wild jaw action, loved up feelings, yes, all different buzzes, now do i not have a right to enjoy the buzz of cannabis and ecstacy just as much as we all have the right to enjoy the buzz of alcohol, if you strip dow the whole bullshit and propaganda aobut all drugs and look at the essence of the nature of drugs, you'll agree, if you don't, well you're just another silly perosn who i have no time for, seriously, educate yourself on the matter, come back soon and we'll have a proper arguement cos yours has F-L-A-W-E-D written all over it
    stargalaxy wrote:
    My point is that I want to be able to walk around the streets without people on drugs suddenly deciding to come up to me offering me joints or pills. .
    in the city people have been doing that for years ...and right this minute.
    it's worth up to ten billion quid a year ...tax free ...in cash ...do you have any idea how big that is?
    if a line of coke was available at boots ...if cannabis was available at the herbalist ...like these things used to be ..
    the countrys that have relaxed their laws have found they have less trouble ...and the number of users actualy goes down ...except for canada ...where the government threw the towel in and told people they were no longrer interested in enforcing the cannabis laws.
    cannabis cultivation has now been talen over by respectable families and farmers ...not a drug cartel in sight.
    now canadas biggest commercial export.
    i want control over these substances as opposed to the no control whatsoever in the criminal realm that the situation is in at the moment.
    i want control over these substances as opposed to the no control whatsoever in the criminal realm that the situation is in at the moment.
    Exactly. And I believe the best way to accomplish that is through a legalisation of substances. My sole concern though is as to the social effects on this. I don't think it would lead to constant chaos on the streets - we seem to have that already - but I'm quite interested in this idea of shooting alleys. Places people can go to take drugs in a "safe environment" as it's called.

I admit I'm not that well-informed about drug use, but I resent being shouted down by Turlough who seems to believe that anyone who has any sorts of objections or concerns about the issue is some old style intolerant conservative.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I admit I'm not that well-informed about drug use, but I resent being shouted down by Turlough who seems to believe that anyone who has any sorts of objections or concerns about the issue is some old style intolerant conservative.

aye dead on.........you still here????
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Stargalaxy, I do think you are taking all this a bit personally. As was mentioned earlier, disagreeing and presenting an alternative point of view is all part of conversation, not an attack on you beliefs. You have to remember that some of what your saying could be offensive to other users and their lifestyles as well.

Oh and by the way jago25_98, this was a way dead thread. Have a look at the Good Manners Guide to see what I mean.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    However, as to the answer why are drugs illegal, I can only assume that's because of the law as it stands.

Thats a rather circular comment - they're illegal because they're against the law.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm in favour of legalising drugs, but not comfortable with the prospect of going arond the streets having to deal with stoned cannabis users or people on E.

What do you think you'd have to "deal with"?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    My point is that I want to be able to walk around the streets without people on drugs suddenly deciding to come up to me offering me joints or pills. But of course this point is ignored when it comes to a patronising and snobbish liberal intelligensia of which you are a part of.

At the moment, in some places (Brixton being one) there is a certain amount of street dealing and people offering you drugs as you walk past them. Yes, it is rather annoying and can be intimidating. But can't you see that this is a product of prohibition? When was the last time some shady character in a hooded top called out "pssst! wanna buy a nice Rioja geezer?"
    LadyJade wrote:
    Stargalaxy, I do think you are taking all this a bit personally. As was mentioned earlier, disagreeing and presenting an alternative point of view is an attack on you beliefs. You have to remember that some of what you're saying could be offensive to other users and their lifestyles as well.
    :eek2: What on Earth have I said in this thread that could be construed as offensive to others? I'm in favour of legalisation. I simply have one or two concerns about it. Yet that is deemed a perfectly acceptable reason by other users to make attacks on what I believe in. Whatever happened to tolerance?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    You misquoted me. And I'm not going to argue with you about it, it was just something to be aware of, to avoid the bull in the china shop effect.