Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

gym motivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
due to upheaval in dec I was unable to go to gym. I know my bad! I now have got out of my routine and lost my motivation. How can I ease myself back in to this without killing myself? Any tips appreciated!

Will be startin new job after xmas and gym is on way home so at least its on my way! I really want to get back into it but currently I just think ahh after xmas-I just don't wanna do the same in jan!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    My motivation for going is the sense of energy I get afterwards - I always feel really happy. Then there's the incentive of feeling the burn of my muscles working, and I think 'i'm doing something healthy.' If you go in the morning, it makes you more energetic the whole day, but this might just be my self discipline, going early in thw morning! (when it's emptier)
  • Options
    yes-I remeber my red exercise cheeks pride when I used to walk out past the mcdonalds on the carpark-and the energy-even tho I use more up-I have bags more. I am going to start back next week starting wednesday.

hmm the morning thing-i am so lazy in the morning! I really am. Ok maybe not weekday when i have be at new job at 8 but i should do this on the weekend-saturday at least. Yes thats my aim-next saturday i will be in gym at 9am! Done by 1030 including a shower-up town to shop and reward myself! Right theres my plan!

I'm gonna keep it on my lj so I can't back out of it too!

Thanks for the tip about the morning!
  • Options
    Good luck Jo! I wish i had some motivation to even think about going to the gym, I joined Aldersley about 2 years ago as i'm a cheap skate and only went twice..oops!
  • Options
    1andonly-my workmate plays his footy for aldersly! lol not that you needed to know that! hehe!

well I couldn't go on sat but i went on mon and thur-mon was so busy we had to queue to go on machines meaning i could only go on the treadmill-my least fave. Worriedly I went thur-still very busy but i got on all the machines i like.

trouble is they have changed the showers since i last went-to western style saloon doors-great with gaps so everyone can see you as you clean your bits! the water only stays on if you keep one hand on the tap too-water saving i guess but damned awkward-so its been difficult to go as its been kinda crappy. But i know i can now go on weekday nights so its all good! i got the high on the second night of the exercise so woo!
  • Options
    Jowolvo wrote:
    trouble is they have changed the showers since i last went-to western style saloon doors-great with gaps so everyone can see you as you clean your bits! the water only stays on if you keep one hand on the tap too-water saving i guess but damned awkward-so its been difficult to go as its been kinda crappy. But i know i can now go on weekday nights so its all good! i got the high on the second night of the exercise so woo!

Why not have a shower when you get home?

One big tip to make the time fly faster is to take your own music with you.

I used to get so bored on the machines after 15 minutes then I took in music and can go for 40 to 60 minutes. I just bought a little MP3 player at Xmas just for the gym and it don't have to be an ipod thing you only need it to hold about 1 to 2 hours of music.

My gym has a free DVD library and taking a DVD out is motivation to go back the next day cos you got to return it or pay a fine!!! :razz:
  • Options
    Stand up, grab your stomach. What you can get hold of is fat.

Enough motivation for most :p
  • Options
    lol jacquelline-I may even try that tonight when I go out to stop me snacking hehe!

DG-see they do have some headphones hooked up but not all machones so I am thinkin of getting a new player as mines old and a cd player! so another good reason for me to buy! Thanks for the tip!

Lol-i used to have abath at home but its a pain at home when i get home with other peoples baths being fitted in so thats why i was showering there but to be honest i really don't like these booths-its a pain as the kids swimmin lessons finish same time i do and there are young boys and girls running round and i don't partuclary like being naked around anyone let alone little boys who stare!! (this was what happened last visit!)

I think they should do a special kids changin room as not only isit embarrassing but they run amok and leave food everywhere. Noisy things too-if I wanted to be a round brats I'd go to the local leisure centre!!

lol anyways I am making a big effirt and its already paying off as my legs didn't hurt last trip so I'm getting better! yay!
  • Options
    i signed up to a new gym just before xmas, a monthly paid one rather than my usual pay per use gym. been enough motivation for me as it costs quite a lot. been going 3/4 times a week since joining and the other days either going for a run or playing football. been great. lost over a stone and looking more toned in the first month so im gonna keep it up! just getting ready for the summer!