Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quitin uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
is anyone thinkin of quittin uni???im not gonna quit cos i worked way too hard to get here but its starting to get me down, sooooo much work!!!i know quite a few people on my course have dropped out, especially during xmas. i need motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazyeyes :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The thought did cross my mind a while back, the work is tough and sometimes it makes you want to run away and hide but at the end of the day it will be worth all the hard work. If it's getting you down then you need to do something about it, try talking to your course leader about it or go and chat to some of the people in the second or third year of your course, I'm sure that they have had similar problems with the work.
    Good luck!
    :)
  • Options
    TheOne wrote:
    is anyone thinkin of quittin uni???im not gonna quit cos i worked way too hard to get here but its starting to get me down, sooooo much work!!!i know quite a few people on my course have dropped out, especially during xmas. i need motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazyeyes :confused:

A majority of people consider quitting their course at some point. There is a lot of work, because courses are designed to be at least a little taxing, otherwise there would be no point. The degree is a recognition of your ability to get your head down and dedicate yourself to a task.

Quitting is for wimps ;)
  • Options
    uni is hard, and taxing, and very stressful :( I'm finding it very hard atm too.

but think about how bloody useful having a degree will be at the end of it :thumb:
  • Options
    Yep, I've often thought about quitting. Will see how I've done in exams/essays at the end of the year and then think about it again.
  • Options
    im not gonna quit, its just so much work, only 1st year eveyone says its well easy me and my mates are finding it quite hard!!
  • Options
    i get so annoyed when people say the first year is easy!
    probably the same people that say a' levels are being made easier!

:lol: :no:
  • Options
    Y'know, I reckon a lot of 2nd and 3rd years make stories up about how they skated year one without going to any lectures and going out everynight, and still getting a 2:1 or something. Obviously some of it depends on the course, but as a first year law student at the university of Shef. I can vouch for the fact that you cannot get top grades by dossing around/playing computer games/trying to re-populate the city/getting up at 5pm after a night out at the dogs etc. (delete as applicable). A lot of people lie about how they cruised through first year and still got good marks, no doubt about it. I"ve thought about quitting for sure, and a lot of people have already dropped out. January is meant to be a bad time for people dropping out and getting depressed etc. You've been at uni a little while, gone home for a month for christmas and remembered how easy it is to loaf around at home doing nothing again, and then you have to go back to uni and slog it out. It does get you down, but hang in there.
  • Options
    i get so annoyed when people say the first year is easy!
    probably the same people that say a' levels are being made easier!

:lol: :no:

But generally the first year is easy. It's a year that a lot of unis use to get everyone up to the same level in certain key areas, plus for a lot of unis it doesn't count at all towards your final grade.
  • Options
    Museman wrote:
    Y'know, I reckon a lot of 2nd and 3rd years make stories up about how they skated year one without going to any lectures and going out everynight, and still getting a 2:1 or something. Obviously some of it depends on the course, but as a first year law student at the university of Shef. I can vouch for the fact that you cannot get top grades by dossing around/playing computer games/trying to re-populate the city/getting up at 5pm after a night out at the dogs etc. (delete as applicable). .

im second year again (not for that reason) and in 1st year i did sweet fa. really i missed loads of lectures, didnt revise ect ect but as i had done an a level in biology and many people on the corse hadn't it made it a lot easier on me.

now im in second year again (as said before not because i did no work) and im finding it so hard.but i have spent so much money that i cant justify leaving without a degree.

i think about quitting all the time because i find it such an up hill struggle
  • Options
    I've quit uni twice for different reasons, now on my third degree and loving every minute of it.

First time was because I really wasn't enjoying my course and knew no matter how much work I put in I wouldn't come out with a decent degree or want to do anything along those lines anyway. Second time was foolish. Never leave beacuse you're missing a bloke. Is one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Never really could give everything to Andy after that because I regretted that decision. Although really looking back on it now it was probably for the best for my education because there again that degree wouldn't have suited me or left me with the opportunities and enjoyment I now get from what I do.