Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holiday Work and Temping Agencies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry for posting another holiday work question!

I am a student and I desperately need to find a job for the Easter period and also especially for three months over summer. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any employers (shops etc.) that are willing to employ students under these circumstances? Do you have a summer job with a shop that is particularly flexible about when you're able to work?

Second question relating to the first is that has anyone ever used a temping agency to find temporary work over the summer, and how successful was it? I went to Adecco this weekend but they told me to come back closer to the time I wanted to work, I was just wondering what are the chances of them actually being able to find me something and what experiences any of you may have had of this sort of thing?

Thanks for your help, I've been tearing my hair out for weeks trying to sort something out, perhaps I'm looking a little too early?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Second question relating to the first is that has anyone ever used a temping agency to find temporary work over the summer, and how successful was it?

i was with a temp agency for all my easter, summer and christmas work the whole time i was at uni. i registered on a thursday, and started the first job with them the following monday. then when it was coming up to a holiday, i'd give them a ring, and 9 times out of ten they would have something for me.

the only problem you might have is that some agencies will only take a set number of students, so you have to get in quite early to avoid the rush.
    In my experience, job agencies can be a bit hit and miss. In the previous summer I went to about 3 places looking for work, but it was in a very short notice, small time period (i was being very optimistic). Two places registered me but basically said no while the third place managed to get me a place in a mobile phone shop.

So my advice to you is to register with a number of places.
    Get in touch with your local NHS Trusts, we often employ students for admin work... we all have flexi-bank where you can sign on.