Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ways of revising...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
has anyone got tips of the best was to revise???so far this semester i have had a few exams, they went ok, done well in the coursework.i have loads of exams soon and just cant seem to revise!!cant take it in!!!!im gonna start banging my head against the wall!!!! :banghead:
other than re-writing the notes and reading them over and over, what else can u do?!!!
cheers for the help!!! :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    it all depends on the subject, right?
  • Options
    Hmm..this might not be of particular help, but when I was revising GCSE French my tutor made us record ourselves on tape, speaking the language and then listening to it over and over again til we'd learnt the dialogue off by heart.
    :chin: Maybe give that a go?
  • Options
    i have an AS repeat tomorow, i need to get a whole module into my head, i'm pretty much fucked, ah well at least it's not an A level.
  • Options
    Try reading a bit through, then covering it up and seeing how much of it you can write down. Or take a topic and try and condense it down into a page of the most important points, which will be easier to remember than just a whole block of writing.

That's what works for me, but then I'm only doing AS levels, I dunno if it works for all exams.
  • Options
    im at uni doing a degree in sport and exercise science.its a boring module im revising for and i have condensed my notes even more!!i will try everything u have all suggested, cheers x
  • Options
    try condensing your notes so that each time you write them out you summarise it in a more simpler way, so that when you read it, it kinda triggers other stuff that was in the original detailed notes.

write them out over and over condensing them more each time, until you are eventually left with like one side of A4 full of words that will trigger the detail in your head. then memorise them!
  • Options
    past exam papers for subjects with sums in, like physics, always help :yes:

as does reading your notes out loud to yourself over & over & over again...

and making notes of they key formulae you need to remember.
  • Options
    Try doing past exam papers, at least in bullet point, without checking your notes.

Postcards of the five most important facts in any subject area do wonders.
  • Options
    I usually make condensed notes, then put them into bullet points written on either post it notes or just A4 with lots of colours and stick them around my room and my house (much to the annoyance of m housemates oops!) and just scan over them everytime I walk past. Also make yourself a list of questions even if they are easy ones and get someone to ask you them to see how much you remember.
  • Options
    What I've found at uni is that the course does not want you to fail, so it won't trick you. But they're not going to let you off if you do no work.

I do geograhpy (an arts course) which is mainly-essay based, and modules will give you choices from a load of questions on the paper. Here's what I do...

1. Isolate about half the main themes in each module that I find the most interesting and understand the most.

2. Look through specimen and past papers for questions on these themes, and see which direction they're going in. Also makes sure they they are regular themes in the papers.

3. Make concise notes on each theme from a wide range of material (based on referecnes from reading lists). Not specifically to the questions already seen, though. These notes for each module will total around 3,000-4,000 words, all points bulleted.

4. Make sure that the notes taken cover the questions and there is extra knowledge to 'pad out' answers if needed.

5. Print out the notes.

6. An couple of hours before the exam, go through all the points and physically underline the key bits, making sure there are no distractions so you can take as much in as possible.

7. 20mins before the exam, go through the underlined points and keep as many of the really main ones in your head as possible.

8. When the exam starts, immediately check the questions and write all the main points on the question paper that relate to your studied areas. Then hopefully everything else will just come to you when you're writing it.

This works very well for me, and makes sure my head isn't overloaded with stuff from loads of modules going into one exam. Though would be scuppered if I had two exams in one day :(

(3am and just finished my definitive notes for tomorrow!)
  • Options
    I have some advice which you must follow. DONT USE THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!! the internet is far too distracting and u will get nothing done. just play some music and continually read thru some text books. make sure that you can answer any questions that may be displayed in the text book. do 15 minutes revision and then have a 5 minute break and so on. that way in 1 hour you would have done 45 minutes of learning. If you with a mate i find that askinmg eachj other questions can help also. the thing is that revision is the most boring piece of crap in the world so i find that doing it in short sessions helps a great deal.