Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My job/responsibilty/promotion

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Ok, I have worked in my current job since May 2002, first in Milton Keynes and then in the Oxford store when I started uni.

Last weekend I found out that the senior sales assistant from our store is leaving, creating a vacancy (which includes Sunday managing). Then I found out that one of the girls at work has been put forward for it. I like the girl in question, the only thing is is I don't want her to get the job.

She is 18 (as am I), and started working for the company in November as a Christmas temp, then was hired as a lunch cover type member of staff after Christmas. If she gets the job, I shall not be happy. She has no managent or senior sales experience, no previous perfume experience, and she will effectively be my boss. I feel really inadequate and inferior, as she has worked there for 2 months, earns the same as me, knows a lot less than me about the job and is possibly going to be promoted to my manager.

The other thing is I want a job with more responsibility, or if not that, more meaning. I like my job, but I would like it more if they hired someone who couldnt work Sundays so they would hire a Sunday manager, which I could apply for, an stand a good chance of getting due to experience, according to my current manager. I'm just fed up of only being a sales assistant after 3 and a half years of it in total at various jobs-I want more responsibility or something more meaningful, not just sellig things to customers. People just don't want to hire an 18 year old student for that type of thing though it seems.

Basically, I'm not really sure what I'm posting for-possibly more for the getting it out than anything else. But any opinions or comments are welcome :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand how you feel and can only suggest that next time you get a chance-be it an appraisal, a general meeting etc, bring it up that you would really like to further your career with said company-big them up and yourself and suggest why and what you want to do. I know it may not work but at least they will know your intentions. You may think they are put off by your being 18 but it may be becuas ethey think you don't see a future with them.

I hope you get somewhere tho! let us know how it goes