Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm confused

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm new to these parts, but I've noticed how helpful you lot can be.

anyway

I'm 20, a student in N. London and I'm desperately looking for a job specifically evenings and/or weekends. My problem is that I've never really had a job before, I worked one day marshalling at a paintball site, which i didn't get paid for, ontop of my GCSE work experience, which was completely irrelevant to anything that I may want to do (office work, one of the most depressing weeks I've had in my life). So I basically have nothing worthy to put on my CV. I have no references to speak of. All that is on my 'CV' is my education and a couple of things I volunteered to do at sixth form college (nothing major, just mentoring and live sound for a production of Jesus Christ Superstar).

So, I ask you, what kind of job can I get with that, and considering the following?

I was going to go for a couple of bar jobs available at the moment, but I have major reasons as to why I seriously don't want to do either. I don't want to work at a supermarket for certain, not least because Its quite a trek to get to my closest one. I have an absolutely appalling phone manner so telemarketing etc. is out of the question, and I'm not desperate enough (yet) to work at a factory or similar.

I have asked at various musical instrument retailers about jobs, this would be ideal for me since I know so much about musical instruments, and its one of the few things I'm actually passionate about, but they all want experienced staff, even the tiny crummy little shops do, so how do I get my foot in the door?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd bite the bullet and just go for any job I could get. Get soemthing on your CV and some money in your pocket. Once you get some experience in working its easier to get a job in something you like more.
    Yep... some times are you have to swallow your pride and get any job... no matter if you dont want to do it.
    If you need a job that badly, and you want flexible hours, then retail is where you're going to have to head. Supermarket work is good, it's experience and, evenm more crucially, it's money.

For the record, put on your CV every bit of experience, no matter how superfluous. You have got office experience, whether you hated it or not, and office experience is useful for most, if not all jobs.
    If you want work in London and have a driving licence you can ALWAYS get work driving a van about town.

Its a horrid job but the pay isnt actually that bad, probably £6 an hour ish. Which given its a virtually no skill job isnt bad.
    unfortunately beggars can't be choosers.

we all had to do shitty jobs we hated in order to get experience. it's just easier if you do them when you're 16/17/18, when everyone else has a crappy job too.
    Oy! I'm the only crispy round here:p
    yes, driving = good idea.

but, do you not have to be over 21? since I'm 20 until october this might not be possible, please tell me i'm wrong, this would be an awesome job for me.

sorry about the name, but I am infact Chris P. (crispy).
    As its been said put any experience you have on your cv, and get character references from teachers ect if you need,they worked on mine!

My mum runs a delivery company and will usually employ drivers over 19 with a clean licence but im not sure with you being in london.
    Usually retail like supermarkets,and catering dont want experience or you could try bar work?
    iamcrispy wrote:
    sorry about the name, but I am infact Chris P. (crispy).

I'm Chris P also:wave: We can share though:yes:
    iamcrispy wrote:
    yes, driving = good idea.

but, do you not have to be over 21? since I'm 20 until october this might not be possible, please tell me i'm wrong, this would be an awesome job for me.

If its in London its not a nice job, but as I said the pay isnt that bad. I doubt you will have a problem being 19.

Basically even if you are a little slow its fine as long as you dont nick stuff.
    iamcrispy wrote:
    Hi, I'm new to these parts, but I've noticed how helpful you lot can be.

anyway

I'm 20, a student in N. London and I'm desperately looking for a job specifically evenings and/or weekends. My problem is that I've never really had a job before, I worked one day marshalling at a paintball site, which i didn't get paid for, ontop of my GCSE work experience, which was completely irrelevant to anything that I may want to do (office work, one of the most depressing weeks I've had in my life). So I basically have nothing worthy to put on my CV. I have no references to speak of. All that is on my 'CV' is my education and a couple of things I volunteered to do at sixth form college (nothing major, just mentoring and live sound for a production of Jesus Christ Superstar).

So, I ask you, what kind of job can I get with that, and considering the following?

I was going to go for a couple of bar jobs available at the moment, but I have major reasons as to why I seriously don't want to do either. I don't want to work at a supermarket for certain, not least because Its quite a trek to get to my closest one. I have an absolutely appalling phone manner so telemarketing etc. is out of the question, and I'm not desperate enough (yet) to work at a factory or similar.

I have asked at various musical instrument retailers about jobs, this would be ideal for me since I know so much about musical instruments, and its one of the few things I'm actually passionate about, but they all want experienced staff, even the tiny crummy little shops do, so how do I get my foot in the door?
    that was outer body

are you me? :yeees:
    I think i'm going to have a look round for driving jobs then. just to clarify, I am infact 20, but I minced my words explainining so.

beepbeep: maybe I am you, yes

crispy: cheers
    just get any job u can, it's always easier to find a job when u have one already, sods law!