Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

need help please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been on the depo injection for two months now which is a contraceptive method and i was wondering if anyone knew if u can get pregnant if u have sex very close or even on your period whilst using this contraceptive method.
I would really like to know,pls!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lacedthong:
    I have been on the depo injection for two months now which is a contraceptive method and i was wondering if anyone knew if u can get pregnant if u have sex very close or even on your period whilst using this contraceptive method.
    I would really like to know,pls!

It is always possible. The question is how likely.

I don't know anything about depo, but if it is a contraceptive, and you have been on it long enough, then you are quite unlikely to get pregnant. There should have been some information on its effectiveness / settling in time when you had it. Also anything that will reduce its effectiveness.

Sex during a period, or just before/after is very unlikely to bear fruit (of course, it is very dificult to know when your period is going to come, so it is a risky game to play)

So I guess I'msaying it would be very unusual for you to get pregnant under those circumstances, but that using a condom would make it even less likely.
    Originally posted by Carriage Return:
    It is always possible. The question is how likely.

I don't know anything about depo, but if it is a contraceptive, and you have been on it long enough, then you are quite unlikely to get pregnant. There should have been some information on its effectiveness / settling in time when you had it. Also anything that will reduce its effectiveness.

Sex during a period, or just before/after is very unlikely to bear fruit (of course, it is very dificult to know when your period is going to come, so it is a risky game to play)

So I guess I'msaying it would be very unusual for you to get pregnant under those circumstances, but that using a condom would make it even less likely.

Thankyou for replyin to my question,thats actually helped alot!
    thanks again.

The depo injection is usually very effective, and will protect you from pregnancy even during your period. We have a factfile here: http://www.thesite.org/sex/pregnancy/injections_and_implants.html

If you have any doubts, ring up the clinic that gave you the injection, and I'm sure they will be happy to tell you more and give you some reassurance.

You could also ring one of the confidential info lines at the bottom of our page about contraceptive injections.