Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If... Drugs Were Legal

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
So did anyone watch this programme, or the Newsnight debate afterwards? What did you think? I was still at work :crying: so I missed it... But I will watch the debate on the web later.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was alright, because it was a drama then it didnt really address the debate in a head on way. It was a little disjointed.

The debate afterwards was good, if a little rowdy, Paxman didnt keep a tight control on things.

And of course like most people do they just skimmed over the whole UN treaty issue.

Personally I didnt like how far they went with it, MDMA and such were available in clubs and pubs, I'd much rather see them sold in seperate outlets. It would be much easier to control.

Heroin on available script is an excellent idea, we could move it down to like Valium now, still be within our treaty obligations and over night rid the UK of street heroin.
    Sorry you missed it, I only saw the second half of the drugs were legal film, and what I saw was very interesting, they had a film, and anti/pro legalisations people from uk talking about what they think in parts, so it cut from fiction to real, very well done, raised a lot of the pros and cons in a legalised world, was very interesting to see how they might do advertising for E’s, shown in the film, wish I saw all of it, does anyone know if it will be repeated? Newsnight with Jeremy Paxman was so funny, that guy cracks me up, really I thought both sides argued badly, I waver on the issue, and the debate didn’t give me more insight into it.
    I did think that Kieth Halawell was glorious, "drug use went down on my watch" - Yes, is that why they sacked you?
    bongbudda wrote:
    I did think that Kieth Halawell was glorious, "drug use went down on my watch" - Yes, is that why they sacked you?

I know, and i didn't like the way he would laugh, but say nothing in response back to try and undermine the other side, when they gave a point.

But i know it's a very hard issue to argue, i know people will never stop taking drugs, so what can we do?
    The issue is clouded by it being a debate on 'drugs'.

Its clearly not that simple, there is no answer as to what to do about drugs.

Some drugs should be legally available, others always should be in a medical setting.

I did think it interesting that in the world they created cocaine was still illegal.
    bongbudda wrote:

I did think it interesting that in the world they created cocaine was still illegal.

Was it? I only catched the last half hour so i missed that.

And i didn't understand the end, with the flashback, was the main guy a dealer who ratted out his friends, and became a cop through it? Or a police man who went undercover, got addicted to drugs etc, and started to like the people, but fucked them over still? couldn't work it out
    I think cocaine was left illegal because many experts arent really sure how to deal with it. Its the one drug that many pro-legalisation people are less sure of.

As for the copper, he was always a copper, working under cover, but to gain their trust he got addicted. The police arresting them all found his wire and showed it to them all right there at the bust.
    missed it ...
    rachie004 wrote:
    IMO I've never been sure what to do with cocaine either - because as far as I'm aware (in my naive little world) and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from cocaine you get crack cocaine (i.e. it's not a case of cocaine being one thing and crack being another because you only need to do L, M and N to get crack from it)
    all drugs should be legaly available.
    yes coke washes up into crack ...so what?
    there are people who will inhale petrol ...crack heads would soon be on the same footing in the social scale of things as petrol sniffers ...people who inhale car exhaust fumes ...it would be very unpleasant ...but far more effective than all the poster campaigns ever fucking circulated!
    guess what ...anyone with half a brain will not be tempted to smoke crack.
    the rest of us may well be ...
    reality is the best teacher.
    there are people who will inhale petrol ...crack heads would soon be on the same footing in the social scale of things as petrol sniffers.

heh i used to sniff that shit, don't compare me to a crack head.
    all drugs should be legaly available.
    yes coke washes up into crack ...so what?
    there are people who will inhale petrol ...crack heads would soon be on the same footing in the social scale of things as petrol sniffers ...people who inhale car exhaust fumes ...it would be very unpleasant ...but far more effective than all the poster campaigns ever fucking circulated!
    guess what ...anyone with half a brain will not be tempted to smoke crack.
    the rest of us may well be ...
    reality is the best teacher.

And thats not social darwinism?!
    WOW!!! Guys :eek:

A crack 'ead huh?. Do you really think that when people first took a pipe that they were going to end up as a steriotypical crack head? Or that when a person first took a chase of brown that they would be going IV years later?

>>>crack heads would soon be on the same footing in the social scale of things as petrol sniffers<<< ~

And what social scale could that be then? Do you mean rejected by society? economically and socially rejected? Thereby ending up in the gutter with people spitting and urinating on them becouse they've been demonised by the mainstream media?
    And what social scale could that be then? Do you mean rejected by society? economically and socially rejected? Thereby ending up in the gutter with people spitting and urinating on them becouse they've been demonised by the mainstream media?
    something like that yeah.
    WOW!! :thumb:

Dont you think that the puritanicals would say that about you? :razz:
    WOW!! :thumb:

Dont you think that the puritanicals would say that about you? :razz:
    PROBABLY.
    but it happens less and less when people see you are hard working responsible generous loving etc etc ...
    more and more people are becoming aware that those of us who indulge haven't got two heads and a sawn off shotgun.
    crack heads in a legal crack den are the best way to put your kids off.
    heroin as medication is no longer so attractive.