Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What the hell???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I've been working in a bar for six months & got a lot of praise when I first started, apparently they wished they had another of me to work with them....

And suddenly, tonight I'm told I've got 3 weeks until I finish and I have to get another job until then (by my pissed manager).

Apparently I'm not fast enough and I slow the team down (but I have people skills well), however this is after 6 months of working there.

I hurt my back at Christmas because I lifted something & they made me work when I said it hurt and got sworn at by assistant manager for not completing a task fast enough (doc said I had menchanical back pain) & apparently safe lifting is supposed to be included in training... I know I was slagged off too because the doctor made me take time off, got a bit of hassle over misunderstandings...

But after 6 months? Do they know how hard it is to find a job at this time of year???

I mean they could have said on a busy Saturday in October that I'm not suited to the job....

But they don't wanna fall out about it apparently.

What the hell???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I were you I would cause as much fuss as possible. You are entitled to.

Give ACAS a call on 08457 47 47 47 and find out what your rights are.

My hunch is that they are not allowed to do that, particularly as it is health-related, and if they did not give you good lifting training then they are in serious breach of HSE guidelines.
    Did you write down in an accident book when you hurt your back?
    I'd have a look at the Manual Handling Regulations if I were you.

That and of course they have a duty of care to you under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
    I work in a bar as well and I was made to sign all these different forms to say I understand all the different safety precautions, including lifting. Did ya fill any of those out before?! If not, then do what the others have said.

Could be a chance, were they are tryign to get rid of staff due to not needing as many this time of year and they were just looking for an excuse.

But to start cursing at ya. Tha'ts uncalled for and unprofessional. My supersvior told me to go fuck myself when we had a disagreement which I was ragen over. Feel that just cause I'm just 19 they think they can take advantage of me.
    Contacted head office today, getting things sorted.

Thankyou all for your advice.