Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
how do everyone decide what they want to do in life, i mean im studying A-levels and i kinda know the field that i want to go into but if for some reason that i dont get into it, what am i to do? how do the student at uni decide what course they want to take? and how and when do you know what you want to pursue a career in? sometimes i question the purpose of life, what is all for? anyway that is a new discussion. well we discuss this and i guess that this may be targetted at those who dont know what they want to do in life.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :(

I did 3 years at college, didn't know (and still don't) what I wanted to do when I left college or anything.

At college I did A-level Sociology and really enjoyed the Criminology Unit. I'm at Uni now, and in my 1st year studying Criminology and Social Policy. My reasoning behind going was because it was something (I thought) I was interested in and well to be honest I had nothing else to do! And also thought it might inspire me. Or something.

If you have an idea of what you want to do as a career (unlike me) and doing a degree will help, then go for it. If you decide you don't like it, you can always leave.

I know how you're feeling, and it's not very nice thinking you have to decide but you've got all of your life, try not to let it bog you down.
    I'm 18 and have gone through years of being pressured into finding a career. At school I was always 'slightly different' in my attitude to learning, and found that subjects like art and drama were much more 'me' than maths or english. I didn't take Art at A-level, as I didn't want a career in the arts (at the time). But now that I've matured, I've realised that I should've taken A Level Art, just to get into anything midly 'arty' years down the line. (I did however enroll at Uni for 5 days, but then realised that I didn't have the art qualifications they required, so had to leave.)

I'm no artiste, but the only thing I feel I'm good at, is being creative. I still have no idea what career I want or should be in, so right now I'm doing that 'taking a gap year and bumming' thing. I'm now looking into a modern apprenticeship in the arts/entertainment sector because I feel I'm not the 'university' type.

I still don't have any idea what I want from my career, but I just hope that in time, I'll know... otherwise, I feel I'm pretty screwed.

Ilora x
    I don't know why but the decision is easy for me and didn't require much thinking. Either law or medicine was the decision I had to decide on when deciding on GCSE's. Then I thought medicine will give a lot more job satisfaction and I knew deep down I wanted to do that; especially since I couldn't see myself doing an office job.

Besides, I definately prefer science over humanities/language based subjects which law more favours, so in the end the decision was not too hard.
    thanks for your reply, i think that its very hard to see yourself sctually doing something that you like, i hope that you end up doing something that you enjoy doing, and good luck in the future. im still unsure of what the future holds for me. anyway thanks for your reply
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    :(

I did 3 years at college, didn't know (and still don't) what I wanted to do when I left college or anything.

At college I did A-level Sociology and really enjoyed the Criminology Unit. I'm at Uni now, and in my 1st year studying Criminology and Social Policy. My reasoning behind going was because it was something (I thought) I was interested in and well to be honest I had nothing else to do! And also thought it might inspire me. Or something.

If you have an idea of what you want to do as a career (unlike me) and doing a degree will help, then go for it. If you decide you don't like it, you can always leave.

I know how you're feeling, and it's not very nice thinking you have to decide but you've got all of your life, try not to let it bog you down.
    hi, thanks for your reply sorry you didnt do the art at uni, i think that i made too many wrong decisions when decising my a-levels and nowi think that i am suffereing the consequences, i have changed my mind about them for a while and recently changed it and i think for the last time.
    good luck in your gap year, and if i was you try and get some art expierence, i dont think that you` mentioned what you were going to do during the gap year
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I'm 18 and have gone through years of being pressured into finding a career. At school I was always 'slightly different' in my attitude to learning, and found that subjects like art and drama were much more 'me' than maths or english. I didn't take Art at A-level, as I didn't want a career in the arts (at the time). But now that I've matured, I've realised that I should've taken A Level Art, just to get into anything midly 'arty' years down the line. (I did however enroll at Uni for 5 days, but then realised that I didn't have the art qualifications they required, so had to leave.)

I'm no artiste, but the only thing I feel I'm good at, is being creative. I still have no idea what career I want or should be in, so right now I'm doing that 'taking a gap year and bumming' thing. I'm now looking into a modern apprenticeship in the arts/entertainment sector because I feel I'm not the 'university' type.

I still don't have any idea what I want from my career, but I just hope that in time, I'll know... otherwise, I feel I'm pretty screwed.

Ilora x
    that is where my problem lies my friend, i dont have any particular interest in the subjects that i do, i do maths, bio chemistry and economics, i think that i kinds copied the same subjects as my mates and i kinda wish that i did physics, how did you do in that? i did it but dropped because of a man cammed MENSAH, that teacher had very bad communication skills and the most popular phrase that he used is "WHAT ORANGES?" as we often forgot to put units. also when he write of the smart board he uses his dodgey finger that makes the word unreadble
    Originally posted by diana_200019
    Im going to study physics,

have you started your degree yet?

I'm in my second year of a physics degree, it is very interesting, although I find it quite difficult. :chin:

deffinatley very good job prospects at the end if there's a decent grade to be had :thumb:
    Is there anyone who doesn't actually want to go to uni?

For years I was convinced that was all I wanted to do, go to uni, get a degree and a great job. But now I'm in my last year of A levels, after retaking a year as well, cos I had my heart set on uni, I've decided it's not what I want afterall. I really don't know what I want to do with my future, I think travelling the world is somewhere in my plans though.
    Is there anyone who doesn't actually want to go to uni?

For years I was convinced that was all I wanted to do, go to uni, get a degree and a great job. But now I'm in my last year of A levels, after retaking a year as well, cos I had my heart set on uni, I've decided it's not what I want afterall. I really don't know what I want to do with my future, I think travelling the world is somewhere in my plans though.

i kept changing my mind but in the end decided i'd give it ago. i'd never know if i enjoyed it if i didn't give it ago.
    i kept changing my mind but in the end decided i'd give it ago. i'd never know if i enjoyed it if i didn't give it ago.

Yup... and another idea might be to take a GAP year... i know that means goin to uni awfully late but with the amount of mature students it doesn't matter nowadays. I knew i needed the break for sure as i was iffy about continuing studying... i travelled quite a bit... and now i'm at uni, happy as :)
    hey,
    im actually not all that crazy about physics.. its my best subject and I quite like it. I know I'll LOVE other parts of uni tho.. living with friends, going out etc. I dunno but if you want to do physics, then maybe spend a year at college or something, and get the qualification. Speak to your school/college to see if you can join the physics now, even if they say no, they might have other suggestions for you. I reackon it's easier to swap to do it now than it is 5 years down the line, so ask your careers advisor or whatever at your school/college. I do know what you mean though about how hard it is to choose.. do work experience, go on a uni 'taster' course (they are reeeally fun!), speak to loads of people.. hopefully something will grab you! Are you interested in some sort of engineering, finance.. try spending a week at companies to see what they are really like, thats all I can suggest. Hope you find something!

Diana x

the thing is i am currently doing maths, chem, bio and economics and i dont know if it would be wise to pick up another AS next year, im planning to drop economics though. what subjects did you do??? im so glad that you replied to the thread as you are someone who is doing a degree in somethin taht i think is intersting.