Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Crackdown Looms For Magic Mushrooms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So it looks as though the governement are going to make fresh mushies illegal, we all knew it would come eventually.
It's a disgrace, these fungi grow naturally and our government says they have the right to deprive us of these things.. just like cannabis

Here's the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4105883.stm

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When are they going to start selling them in the shops?
    The Home Office estimates that there are now more than 400 stores or stalls selling fresh magic mushrooms in Britain, up from less than 20 only 18 months ago.

The people who are buying magic mushrooms these days are teachers, doctors, lawyers. There are 60-year-old customers
    There's a huge market out there and this will just drive it underground and into the arms of shady operators," he said.

DrugScope said most retailers had been self-regulating by refusing to sell magic mushrooms to under-18s, advising customers on safe doses and warning against mixing them with other drugs such as alcohol.

so ...no strain on the medical services since the use of these substances rapidly spread.
    no connection to crime ...but still they have to fucking interfere!
    people will be prosecuted ...fined imprissoned but ...opeople will still keep eating these things like they did for the last thousand generations before them ...how the fuck do we get these idiots off our backs?
    Sure they'll be sold by the dealers after they are stopped being sold on the shops, theres a demand to supply.

I haven't ate any mushrooms in 7 months now so i'll have to get around to getting some before this now.
    it wont be long i fear before we all have a criminal record, not just for drug use but all other daft laws being introduced.
    i think all political partys need to take note of how the govenment is alienating itself from the public.....
    Fuck the law.
    Originally posted by J
    The funny thing is that lots of mushroom taking would help the economy by ushering in another multicoloured 70's Austin Powers type fashion culture and spiritual experience which would benefit not only the economy but the psychological health of the population whilst reducing alcohol consumption, thus reducing the strain on the NHS and police services, freeing up funds for the government to spend on better more innovative things than banning what was here before we were.

How the fuck are magic mushrooms going to reduce alcohol consumption??

Magic mushrooms don't benefit pyschological health you fool, pyschedelics can help open up people's minds to an extent, but fuck them up equally.

Quit trying to be funny btw, it ain't happening.
    How do you use them 'correctly' to benefit your mental health?

Pyschedelics can open your mind, no doubt about that, but it's not a party drug, not something you'd take to wind down on a weekend, no no no.

People get drunk because it's sociable - something mushrooms aren't.
    Originally posted by J
    Alcohol closes your mind, and the only journey your going on is to the kebab shop, then to the back alley to throw up.

as much as i love my beer, that one was made me laugh.

fuck phet forever, or untill next weekend, i can smell a nasty comer downer
    Originally posted by J
    I haven't spent a great enough length of time studying that yet.

As social as my smashed nose. Plus mushrooms give you a subject to discuss, where as alcohol leaves you splurting out shit in an annoying slurred voice.
    I just prefer the spiritual trip if I'm honest, I would have ended up in far less trouble if I'd done mushrooms every Saturday night rather than taken alcohol.
    You can go on a journey on mushrooms, it's an intelligent drug, it does open your mind - Alcohol closes your mind, and the only journey your going on is to the kebab shop, then to the back alley to throw up.

just cos that's your experience with alcohol doesn't mean other people can't be sensible with it :rolleyes:

one thing that annoys me about mushrooms is people who go on about the spiritual hippy shit that it seems to egt lumped with.

had enough mind opening experiences, i just do them to have fun and see and hear pretty things and laugh lots.
    Anyone who says they cant ban it because its natural is a fool. They can and probably will.

Though they wont ban the consumption of fresh mushrooms or include possession into the Misuse of Drugs Act because that would make them growing on land a troublesome issue.

They will include the sale of 'intoxicating' mushrooms into the statutes and therefore you wont be able to buy them.

This will not effect the sale of grow kits, or effect people picking them.

Personally I think this is perhaps a good move, it will make people who want to do them go to a bit more effort and will make sure they know what they are doing.
    Originally posted by J
    I haven't spent a great enough length of time studying that yet.

As social as my smashed nose. Plus mushrooms give you a subject to discuss, where as alcohol leaves you splurting out shit in an annoying slurred voice.
    I just prefer the spiritual trip if I'm honest, I would have ended up in far less trouble if I'd done mushrooms every Saturday night rather than taken alcohol.
    You can go on a journey on mushrooms, it's an intelligent drug, it does open your mind - Alcohol closes your mind, and the only journey your going on is to the kebab shop, then to the back alley to throw up.

Booze or shrooms, it's your prerogative.

Personally I'd agree alcohol is shite, i only really drink booze to supplement coke...on it's own, i really can't be bothered.

But...with alcohol you're not going to fuck your mind up, you're not going to sit in a corner terrified you're going to die.

Pyschedelics should be treated with caution...they're definately not a substitute for alcohol.
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Pyschedelics should be treated with caution...they're definately not a substitute for alcohol.
    but they have been used to cure alcoholism and other addictions with great results ...
    they have also been used in psychiatry very sucsessfuly.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but they have been used to cure alcoholism and other addictions with great results ...
    they have also been used in psychiatry very sucsessfuly.

Doesn't mean they're a potential subsitute for alcohol tho', recreationally speaking.

I can fully understand how pyschedelics (especially cannabis) can help alcoholics etc, but in terms of recreation, alcohol has the least strings attached.
    Originally posted by J
    when taking shrooms it's advisable to do them in the company of someone who can guide you, instead of letting the fear of the world play on your mind. That's all it is to be honest, drugs tend to lower your minds defensive abilities when it comes to thinking about danger - and this in turn heightens your paranoia.

Stimulation is critical when on 'shrooms.

Pyschedelics make you prone to fear because of ego loss...you're no longer properly in control of your situation, you're thinking on an abstractly deep (or deeply abstract, depends how you view it) level...

It's just a drug which needs to be treated with some caution, it's not just a straightforward release like alcohol, thats what i'm saying.
    Anyone interested in campaigning to prevent mushroom prohibition?

The Government have weighed up the costs & benefits of no regulation, prohibition and regulation in the Drugs Bill Regulatory Impact Assessment. They don't follow any Government guidance. Plenty is happening. Transform will lobby against it.

More details at http://members.aol.com/paladcampaign/mushrooms.htm

Its a good opportunity to attack the Government's cost-benefit assessment of prohibition v regulation. What do you think?

Duncan Cameron
    Parents Against Lethal Addictive Drugs
    www.palad.org.uk
    Transform have some good ideas, but they are a bit wolly on the actual implementation.

They seem to hold a bit of sway though.
    When are the mushies going to be stop being sold in shops?has it come into effect yet because i still haven't got down to the shop yet.

Hope i don't miss out on them, but if i do i'm sure they'll go underground and become available on the streets from your local trusted dealer. :D
    The Home Office is reviewing the situation, Customs I suspect dont want them banned because they are making money from it.
    They'll be banned when the Drugs Bill is passed - unless consumers stand up for equal rights with other legal drug consumers. Government has finally admitted fresh magic mushrooms are not illegal.

So there's probably a few months before anything changes.

Yes, HM Treasury stands to lose all the tax they currently receive.

Duncan
    Are they actually being placed in the Misuse of Drugs Act then?

I've always heard that actually banning the mushrooms themselves is nigh on impossible because of them growing naturally. This could well lead to 'production of an illegal drug with the intent to supply' charges for farmers who just happened to have them naturally.

Now supply of them is another matter altogether, last time I heard anything supply was probably going to be illegal.
    Yes, they'll be controlled under the MDA. You're right about the farmers, though ignorance is a defence.

Duncan
    Ignorance has never been a defence in the past.

How are they planning to word the law? The problem is the case law presidence, in that case law says that fresh mushrooms are legal.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    It's just a drug which needs to be treated with some caution, it's not just a straightforward release like alcohol, thats what i'm saying.

I think you are mistaken when you say alcohol is a 'straightfoward release', it is equally as harmful as a whole range of recreational drugs.

The difference as I see it is that alcohol is legal, the other drugs are not - is that what you meant by 'straightforward'?
    Hi Bongbudda. Actually ignorance has always been a defence - section 28, Misuse of Drugs Act.

Alcohol safer than mushrooms? Absolutely...

This letter to newspapers describes how we see the situation:

The Government's Drugs Bill reinforces the institutionalised discrimination against minorities who consume or trade non-traditional drugs. While suppliers of alcohol to young people now face an on-the-spot fine of £80, suppliers of fresh magic mushrooms to consenting adults will soon face life imprisonment.

It is a fact that ninety percent of adults regularly take stimulant and intoxicant drugs to alter mood for non-medical reasons: caffeine and alcohol. By law our children are correctly taught that alcohol, tobacco and caffeine are drugs. Little wonder so many young people dismiss the Government's view that 'drugs are harmful and no one should take them' as hypocritical and discriminatory.

The Government continues to deny non-traditional drug consumers and traders equal rights and opportunities on the basis that these drugs are harmful but they provide no evidence that they are any more harmful than the traditional drugs accepted by society. Indeed evidence suggests that magic mushrooms are considerably safer than alcohol. A European Union risk assessment of magic mushrooms states "the risk for the public health is therefore estimated as very low" while the World Health Organisation points out that 55,000 young people are killed by alcohol every year in Europe.

Policy based on tradition rather than evidence underlies all institutionalised discrimination. We no longer accept sexism and racism so why do we continue to accept drug discrimination?

Duncan
    Alcohol SAFER? Too early in the morning for me!

Duncan
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It is easy to underestimate the harmful effects of alcohol. It is also a bit academic to compare it with other drugs, they work in quite different ways.

Duncan, do you have a link to that letter you quoted above? I couldn't find it after a quick search on the PALAD website.
    The letter is on http://members.aol.com/paladcampaign/mushrooms.htm

That's on our new website, under construction but full of better stuff. That page details various mushroom campaigns & all background info gathered so far.

Duncan
    Comparing drugs is always troublesome.

Diamorphine for example is stupidly harmless physically if taken safely, but can be very dangerous.

Alcohol in small doses actually seems to be good for adults, cutting the risk of heart attacks.