Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Filling out the UCAS application

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly, come to Sheffield Uni, it's amazing!

Secondly, I don't know if you're still wondering what to do about the disability section, but if you are - I didn't tell them I had rheumatoid arthritis when I applied, I didn't think it was necessary and was worried about how it would look. And I regretted it big time - when I came to uni, it was a long struggle trying to get all the help I needed from student support, because they'd had no prior warning. They were brilliant, but it took quite a while. If they know in advance it can be pretty much all set up when you get there (e.g Note takers for lectures, help with getting to and from uni etc).

Hope that helps. If you have any questions about getting by with arthritis at uni, feel free to ask. And good luck with the application!

Tates x
    oh dear, i've still gotta get mine finished, and i still haven't decided on my courses. uh oh. got one of them though, business and sociology at manchester. is anyone here doing that? or the economics and social studies course that it's part of???

on a slightly different point, more of a little rant actually... aren't ucas crap. how on earth can they justify charging £15 to process an application ofrm when all it involves is making a few photocopies of the form and forwarding it to the unis you select and sending you a few letters. bloody rip off. and for online applications, they have to do even less.
    Originally posted by Tates
    Firstly, come to Sheffield Uni, it's amazing!

Secondly, I don't know if you're still wondering what to do about the disability section, but if you are - I didn't tell them I had rheumatoid arthritis when I applied, I didn't think it was necessary and was worried about how it would look. And I regretted it big time - when I came to uni, it was a long struggle trying to get all the help I needed from student support, because they'd had no prior warning. They were brilliant, but it took quite a while. If they know in advance it can be pretty much all set up when you get there (e.g Note takers for lectures, help with getting to and from uni etc).

Hope that helps. If you have any questions about getting by with arthritis at uni, feel free to ask. And good luck with the application!

Tates x

Thanks! :)

Hopefully though my condition won't get bad enough for me to need note-takers and the like (Psoriatic Arthritis is apparently known as the mildest form of Arthritis).
    You're welcome :)

Just wanted to let you know the options, because I was positive I wouldn't need any help, but after a few weeks of hardly any sleep and some pretty bad food when I started uni, my body decided it had had enough! But I'm glad your arthritis is under control, cross fingers!

Tates x
    You have a point. It flares up under stress. And God knows how I will handle new surroundings and circumstances.
    Looking back at my post, it probably looks like I was trying to scare you, that wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if it did :) Hopefully you'll be fine, just didn't want you to make the same mistake as me :)

Tates x
    HELP! HELP! SOS! HELP!

Am just about finished with the application and just need to fill in my results from my former school.

It has some weird field stating EXAM, which needs to be filled in. It's next to the month and year space.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    HELP! HELP! SOS! HELP!

Am just about finished with the application and just need to fill in my results from my former school.

It has some weird field stating EXAM, which needs to be filled in. It's next to the month and year space.

What type of qualification is it you are entering?

I'm finally finishing mine and sending off this evening.
    HELP! HELP! SOS! HELP!

if I remember rightly EXAM is the subject field? or the exam board...
    Originally posted by Shining on
    What type of qualification is it you are entering?

I'm finally finishing mine and sending off this evening.

Our system is a bit different than yours.
    So I have typed in my grades from high-school (british colleges/sixth-form). And now need to put in my grades from regular school.

Where are you applying btw? :)
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    if I remember rightly EXAM is the subject field? or the exam board...

Can't be subject field as the space in the box is limited. Maybe its the exam board (don't know what that is)... Thing is, it doesn't let me leave that space unmarked.
    Please help :(
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Are you doing the form online?
    Originally posted by JsT
    Are you doing the form online?

Yup.
    Is there not a teeny tiny link to a help section somewhere? I seem to remember loads of them when I was filling mine in but I don't remember if there was one for that bit. :/
    There should be a help button by the side of it. I know for UK applicants the small exam box refers to the examination board.
    It did have a help section. Though it was totally irelevant to that.

:(
    It did have a help section. Though it was totally irelevant to that.

:(

Ah. I can't really help other than that. Mine went a while ago :(
    Thanks anyways :)

If anyone knows, then PLEASE reply!
    Thanks anyways :)

If anyone knows, then PLEASE reply!

I'm sure its exam board for us. give ucas a ring tomorrow morning! you finalised your 6?
    Our system is a bit different than yours.
    So I have typed in my grades from high-school (british colleges/sixth-form). And now need to put in my grades from regular school.

Where are you applying btw? :)

Loughbourgh - Management Sciences
    Manchester - Business and Sociology
    Manchester - Management (Employment and Organisaions)
    Nottingham - Social and Cultural Studies
    Nottingham Trent - Business Studies
    Sheffield - Economics and Social Policy

A bit of a mix! I bet i'll get rejected from Manchester, which is my first choice. Which ones are you applying to?
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I'm sure its exam board for us. give ucas a ring tomorrow morning! you finalised your 6?

Think so.
    Think I'll stick to Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick.
    Think so.
    Think I'll stick to Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick.

ooh, we might end up going to the same uni! What subject area/s is you're applying for?
    ooh, we might end up going to the same uni! What subject area/s is you're applying for?

oops, just read one of your earlier posts Jacqueline the Ripper, and now I know it's Politics and International Relations!
    oops, just read one of your earlier posts Jacqueline the Ripper, and now I know it's Politics and International Relations!

He he, it's ok :)

Now, I have finally managed to send off my application.

But aren't I meant to get some kind of confirmation to my e-mail?
    And the code it wants me to fill in when wanting to track my application, where do I get that from?

Btw, for anyone interested, I decided to apply to both the straight International Relations course and the International Relations and History course at LSE, meaning that I used the space I had before reserved for Bristol for one more LSE course. Figured that I don't want to go to Bristol as badly as the other places.

But aren't I meant to get some kind of confirmation to my e-mail?
    And the code it wants me to fill in when wanting to track my application, where do I get that from?

The application takes upto 48hrs to be processed by UCAS, at which point they'll send you a confirmation letter with your details in. If you log into 'apply' after rhe period your track login details will appear there.

Good luck :)
    Originally posted by JsT
    The application takes upto 48hrs to be processed by UCAS, at which point they'll send you a confirmation letter with your details in. If you log into 'apply' after rhe period your track login details will appear there.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your help! X
    Thank you so much for your help! X

When you login you'll get a message like this:
    Loughbourgh - Management Sciences
    Manchester - Business and Sociology
    Manchester - Management (Employment and Organisaions)
    Nottingham - Social and Cultural Studies
    Nottingham Trent - Business Studies
    Sheffield - Economics and Social Policy

A bit of a mix! I bet i'll get rejected from Manchester, which is my first choice. Which ones are you applying to?

You better learn to spell loughborough properly before you get here ;)
    Latest news from UCAS (just posting it because i know JTR is an overseas student)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OVERSEAS STUDENTS:

UCAS has been made aware of a number of emails being circulated to overseas students offering the opportunity to live, study and work in the UK. Such emails have not originated from UCAS and as such should be regarded as potentially fraudulent. The organisation carrying out this scheme are charging £850 to unsuspecting individuals.

:impissed:
    how rude. I assume Jacqueline, that you never got anything like that?